1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MJC Ironworks strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Bassist30, Oct 27, 2018.

1. Bassist30

Bassist30 Supporting Member

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    There is not to much talk about these bass strings. I know Rocco Prestia uses them. I have a P bass and to my ears it sounds good with DR Sunbeams. I saw them (MJC Ironworks) strings online and interested if anyone can make a comment.

BrentSimons likes this.
  2. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    I purchased a set of the NPS Med Lt (.45-.125) for my 5 string Modulus FB5 on a whim alongside my normal go-to D'Addario XL's or NYXL's, and I have to say that MJC just might have won me over if they hold out for longevity. Modulus basses are super clean with their tone, but I've found that they are a little string sensitive and will show flaws immediately. I was pleasantly surprised with the tension, which is noticeably more than anything I've tried - and that is a huge plus. I also was unsure about the .125 B since I've had so-so luck with that gauge in other brands, but this has to be the cleanest sounding and tightest B I've used so far.

3. Hi there,
    I wrote a short review and recorded a clip of a 40-100 stainless set in the string comparison thread. I have said set for sale in the classifieds.
    The TalkBass String Comparison Sound Clip Thread!
    Hope this helps,
    Brent

Bassist30 likes this.
  4. bottomzone

bottomzone

Oct 21, 2005
    I use them and they are very nice strings. They have great tone, are flexible and have very good longevity. I purchased 3 sets at an introductory price that was a lot less per set than they are now.

BrentSimons and Bassist30 like this.
  5. Lowend65

Lowend65

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    This thread has been sitting for awhile - but thought I'd shed some light.
    MJC = Michael J Connolly who was one of the main guys at Dean Markley long ago when they were still independent.
    At one point Dean Markley had an issue with the paper wrappers on their strings which were not treated with anti-corrosion chemicals (by the paper-maker) leading the strings rusting in the packages. This cost DM millions in warranty returns, and (I believe) is the reason MJC strings are sold in a tin with a little sponge of "RN protects" on it. The RN protects is some sort of anti-corrosion chemical that outgasses and protects the strings while in the packaging

Welcome - MJC Ironworks