1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MM Bongo 5 or Ibanez SR4005?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by naruki, May 13, 2010.

1. Bongo 5

45 vote(s)
    71.4%
  2. SR4005

18 vote(s)
    28.6%
  1. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Can't decide.

2. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    If the Ibby speaks to you, who am I to tell you the Bongo is a better instrument. I'm a MusicMan guy, but the Ibby is a solid workhorse.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    I have the SR 5005. It is a workhorse. As for quality, it's a win-win either way. People bag on the Bongo for its looks, but it's actually a great sounding bass.

4. :ninja:
    ...you forgot the 'carrots' option

5. ZiggyDude

ZiggyDude

Jun 8, 2005
    I like the Bongo 5 HH a lot. The onlyh thing is that EBMM insists on narrow fret boards at the nut. So, make sure the string spacing does not bug you. It is plenty wide at the bridge butreally scrunches up at the nut. However, lots of tone and a cool bass. Get a two pickup version as that has the 4 band EQ while the single pup is a 3 band.

6. PSPookie

PSPookie

Aug 13, 2006
    Ocoee, TN
    ^
    The Ibanez SR basses are pretty narrow at the nut and the bridge.

I agree with Woodchuck. The Ibby will be solid, but I've always had a soft spot for the Bongo -- they sound great. Personally, I like the way they look.

7. bovinehost

bovinehost Supporting Member

Dec 5, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: Ernie Ball Music Man/Sterling By Music Man
    Ibanez all the way!

Just kidding.

Bongo.

8. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I think the Bongo is sexy as hell but the Ibanez sounds great. Well they both sound great, I can't decide D:

9. SanDiegoHarry

SanDiegoHarry Banned Supporting Member

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    These are two VERY different basses. Before I vote... Tell me what draws you to them - - and I have to ask -- have you actually PLAYED these basses? Please don't tell us that you're basing a decision like this on photos!

10. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    I've played the both of them before. Well I played the 5005 instead of the 4005, same thing though. The thing is I really love the tone of the 4005's pickups. And I love the range of the dual humbucker Bongo tone as well.

11. adube810

adube810

Mar 6, 2008
    Brooklyn, NY
    imo, i would go for the bongo because i prefer the slightly wider string spacing over the soundgears. my only issue with the bongo is that ive heard its neck isnt the most stable so if you are going from humid>not humid>humid alot i would think that a wenge neck is way more stable.

as far as sounds go, they are both great that thats for you to decide. theey both are VERY versatile

12. sitonmybass

sitonmybass Guest

Bongo 5 HH

13. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Glad to hear you've actually played these.

I've played many Ibanez's, and I've also played the Bongo - The Bongo will be a heavier bass with much wider string spacing, very good for slapping (except I find that front p'up gets in my way) - where the Ibanez is better for fingerstyle playing...

If you were planning on just clicking to buy from MF, I would *strongly* urge you to find a store and play the bass you buy. You *will* be happier with it if you find the bass that "speaks" to you, rather than trusting some shipping guy to randomly pick a box and ship you the bass of your dreams...

14. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    If I get the Bongo, they'll build a new one for me because they don't have the color+pickup combination I want in stock. Don't think I mind the 14 weeks wait though :D

Well how do you think those 2 will fare with effects? I play with effects often but when I played the 2 basses, I stupidly didn't try playing them with effects. Can't go all the way to London to play them again anytime soon. There aren't any shops nearby that stock expensive basses.

15. Will the bongo have wider string spacing?

That Ibby has a monorail bridge system, most basses with those are 19mm spacing at the bridge (I think?)

Googling also seems to show the bongo 5 having a 44.5mm nut, while the Ibby is listed as 45mm?

They'd both make a good bass. Neither are for me so I can't really pass an honest opinion of them.

Tho I'm interested, why are you picking the 4005 over the 5005? While essentially the same, the 5005 looks bitchin'!

Also, have you considered a higher end BTB model, the extended scale is great for the low B :)

16. naruki

naruki

May 1, 2010
    London
    Haven't considered the BTB because I haven't tried playing it before. And well the 4005 is £200 cheaper than the 5005 and the black 4005 looks waaay better than the 5005 in my point of view :D

17. I was just going to say that I've noticed the Carrots option missing from the last few polls. :crying:

I voted for the Bongo. :)

18. SanDiegoHarry

Aug 11, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Well, i've played the Bongo, and I can tell you - it has "wide" string spacing - and I've *never* played an ibanez that had anything but narrow string spacing. I don't have the measurements, I just know what when I sat down with a Bongo 5 at GC, I went "wow... kinda wide" (I usually play a Zon, which has narrow strings...)

I maintain that these are two VERY different basses, and so choosing between the two seems odd...

19. MonetBass

MonetBass ♪ Just listen ♫ Supporting Member

Sep 15, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
    This. Those two basses sounds VERY different. Play each and then decide.

20. splitcoilsenior

splitcoilsenior

Jan 18, 2009
    I think you like the 4005 more =)