Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MM + J (5 string) Replacement pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Fitobass, Nov 3, 2005.

1. Fitobass

Fitobass

May 6, 2004
    Rincon, PR
    MTD Kingston - Bassist
    I would like to replace my pickups on my 5 string bass. The configuration is MM + J.
    Any suggestions? Actives or passives?
    Regards
    :bassist:

2. softscrubmonkey

softscrubmonkey

Nov 19, 2004
    St. Louis
    description of the sound your going for? theres 09234809435892034829435 billion different pickups and preamps you could put in there. just depends what sound your looking for.

3. I have the Basslines MM with Alnico magnet and a Fender Vintage Noiseless with a Basslines 2-band tone circuit for passive pu's (both are) and I couldn't be happier.

The MM is pure Stingray but a bit more... er... ┬┐sophisticated? I guess due to the Alnico magnet. The Fender is louder and punchier than a stock single coil and it balances well with the MM (perhaps a bit quieter but that suits the type of songs I play with each).

I've also wired it with a rotary switch that selects between parallel, series and split (coil closest to bridge) for the MM, and it also splits the Fender (top coil) when the MM is split so both together are hum-cancelling. The MM in series option is of course louder and punchier, perfect for soloing. The MM split is very Jazz and I love the both split tone for walking lines.

Careful with the J size, it's anything but standard. Check this page for some info on different routing sizes and pu's that fit:

http://www.warmoth.com/bass/options/options_bass_pickups_routing.cfm

Mine is the 4" stock Fender routing.