MM Stingray 5 vs Modulus Flea FB5

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mr. Jiggy Fly, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Okay, Ive been saving up for a new bass for a loooong time. Ive never played a MM Stingray that I didn't like, but I am also very intersted in a used Modulus Flea 5 string. I have heard Stefan Lessard's tone live, which is amazing IMO, and he plays a Modulus Flea. However, I have never played a Modulus. I have heard that they are "sterile" sounding. Is this true? Also, which would you recommend for... funky hard rock/ metal with a progressive twist? Which is growlier? The Stingray would have a maple fingerboard. Thanks to anyone that helps.

PS- I am also intersted in a Spector Euro LX Neck Thru. I have played this, and I really like it. For all you Spector users, would your Spector's tone be good for funky metal stuff?
  2. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Mr. Jiggy Fly??? Another MX'er on talkbass, excellent!

I ended up getting a Modulus Flea 4 over a Stingray 4 (the 4's are a bit different than the 5's, but its reasonably close). I found that the Flea's tone is a bit more in your face than the Stingray, but the Stingray wins in terms of warmth. The carbon fiber neck is not for everyone and is something of an acquired taste. Some people hate it, some people love it. I love the tone and the stability. I swapped the pickup in my Flea out for a Nordstrand MM4.2 and it brought it a bit closer to the sound of a Stingray, but is still a noticeable degree brighter to my ears (a good thing for me) and the neck is still more stable then a stingray.

Although they are similar, I've found that a Flea can't quite nail the stingray tone, and likewise a stingray can't quite nail the flea tone either. Try 'em both if possible.
  3. Yep, here from MX. Nice to see you. Thanks for your advice, I will attempt to play both. Thanks.
  4. I see that you have a Spector. How do you like it?

Anybody else have info that can help me?
  5. Andy Cleaver

Andy Cleaver A show of hands....

Dec 16, 2004
    England, Midlands
    I'd say go with the Flea 5 (best with an Aguilar Pre). You'll get plenty of lows and warmth with that pre! Great B string on there as well!

As for the supposed 'sterile' sound of Flea's I couldn't disagree more. I think the sound clip on Bass Tasters doesn't really give people the whole picture (a very trebly, 'sterile' clip! Still a great site mind you :)), and I believe this is what many base there opinion on!

6. I llllllllllove it! It's pretty heavy, but I have a wide padded strap, so the weight doesn't bother me too much. It balances very well. It's a very ergonomic and playable design, and the tone is to die for! You can get a variety of tones from the two-band EQ and twin EMG humbuckers. I'm not too impressed with the B-string, though (a bit less clear than the other strings), but it's very useable and still way better than many other B-strings I've heard!
  7. As an owner of a Stingray 5 for nearly 10 years...I dunno. Actually, though I love my SR5 (it's my first bass, I'll never get rid of it), honestly I'm not as fond of it as a slapping bass (though learning to slap on that thing has probably helped my technique). The string spacing is too close and the tone is not the same as the 2EQ SR4 I also have. I've never played a Modulus Flrea FB5, so I can't comment on that. But if it has wider spacing, it might be worth looking at.

As for an SR4 vs a MF4...Stingray all the way. o you REALLY need to pay that much more?
  8. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I played both prior to buying my SR5. Liked its wider sound capabilities.

9. andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    Also the Modulus looks absolutely ugly to me!

10. dcr

dcr Supporting Member