1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modern Player Tele Bass GAS...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Hevy T, Jun 3, 2014.

1. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    PLayed one today expecting not to like it because I don't like chunky necks. But Holy Sweet Holy the tone that thing emmits. I was in Sonic Heaven!

I don't have any gear that I want to get rid off, I don't have the cash to buy it out right, I have an account in really good standing so I can finance it, but I don't want my balance to get higher.

I am in GAS HELL

:help:

BTW...Here is the source of my new nightmare
    Fender-Modern-Player-Telecaster-Bass.

.BumeStik. likes this.
  2. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man

Feb 11, 2003
    The Modern Player Tele-Bass is very cool.
    Great old school fat tone. Nice bass for the money.

3. .BumeStik.

.BumeStik.

Jul 15, 2012
    Gilbert, AZ
    I am a GAS MACHINE for all the Modern Player models since I got my Jaguar. That Tele is Purdy. Dammit!:cautious:

4. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    I have one and love it! Save your money and buy the bass when you can or look on the GC used website for a less expensive one. I've found the MP series to be very consistent in quality from bass to bass so buying one sight unseen shouldn't be a big risk and GC has a great return policy as well.

5. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

These are really cool basses for the $$$. Big big tone for sure. Like a Gibson EB on steroids IME.

6. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    I feel like I am standing on the ledge and you guys are yelling JUMP!!

lol

But this landing would be sweeter and the only injury would be a blow to the old wallet. AAGH!! why do I come here!

As I say " Step one is admitting you have a problem, step 2 who cares about step 1!"

.BumeStik. likes this.
  7. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    To make matters worse the one they have here is on sale for $500 and the neck looks like roasted flamed maple! double AAHG!!

8. Long & McQuade has them on for 0% Financing for 6 months right now. $499!

9. Hevy T

Hevy T Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2011
    Lethbridge, AB Canada
    Yup! The one I am looking at is at the Lethbridge store :)

10. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I bought a Modern Player Tele last year from Ebay and absolutely love it. There it is right there in my profile pic. It has a flamed maple neck, too. And that neck is big and chunky.

You could probably find a used one on Ebay in the $400-$500 range. I think it's worth it.

Two things that I didn't like about it, but they were both easy fixes:
    1. The recessed output jack completely fell out one time. I bought a new output jack for especially for Telecasters for under $10 and problem solved.
    2. The bridge pickup poles don't properly align with the E and G string, so the A and D strings are louder. I had a guy set it up for me and he adjusted the poles (and installed the output jack) and problem solved.

If my Tele were lost or stolen, I would definitely buy another one immediately. It's a great bass.

11. The pole pieces don't need to be under. The magnetic field is quite wide on those p-ups.

12. AaronVonRock

AaronVonRock

Feb 22, 2013
    Bangkok
    I found the A and D strings to be much noticeably louder than the E and G. After the poles were adjusted, all of the strings sounded balanced.

The fact that the bridge pick-up and neck pick-up are exactly the same size is one of the design flaws that has been talked about a lot on this forum and the Fender forum. And I don't know why Fender continues to make recessed output jacks on Teles. They always come loose.

13. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    I just sold one in mint condition for $400, on craigslist. I loved the neck, the look, and the feel... was a little too dark sounding for my purposes. Not a lot of high end. If ya like that kinda thing though, the bass is killer.

GBassNorth likes this.
  14. did fender discontinue the modern player telecaster bass, i can't seem to find one anywhere

kentuckyjimfaris likes this.
  15. Brio

Brio

Mar 10, 2013
    Kansas City
    It looks like they were a fairly short run. I'd be interested in knowing what the actual numbers are. I've been looking for a bit and finally found one used locally. You can also check the Reverb site, there were a few there last time I checked.

16. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Yes they stopped making them. If you can find one anywhere for $600 or less buy it. This is one of the Fender Modern era gems in my opinion.

Fair warning - this is a dub monster, deep dark and loud. Don't assume it will sound like any other Fender you may have. Think of it as a full 34" scale Gibson SG with an attitude. As such it may not be your daily player but its a darn nice tool to have in the bag when you need it. The bass is heavy but balances well. It has a gloss neck but if that bothers you it can be easily fixed. The output jack as has been noted is a weak point but after I tightened mine several years ago and put a drop of clear fingernail polish on the threads I've had no problem. The bass does require a good setup (including adjusting pickup and pole heights) to bring out its best but is very rewarding once set up properly.

Here's a quick write up I did on mine several years ago...
    NBD - The Honeymoon is over ... | TalkBass.com

Pyrat likes this.
  17. Ray-Vigo

Ray-Vigo

Dec 21, 2010
    Virginia
    I liked the bridge humbucker part of it, but I thought the neck humbucker was a little muddy, at least for my liking. What would be nice is to have a single coil p-bass pickup in the 1950s style position, then the humbucker on the bridge with a 3 or 4 knob blending control arrangement.

18. rockscott

rockscott

Aug 28, 2010
    massachusetts
    Modern players rock! Never had my hands on the tele, but would love to play one! I had the mp jaguar for a year or so, loved the sound but the neck was just too fat for my small hands! I traded in the jaguar for a new 2012 mp 1st generation jazz bass,installed a babicz bridge and a tusq nut. The rest as they say is history, its my go to utility longscale!

19. yonoid_man_man

yonoid_man_man

Jun 13, 2013
    PHX, AZ
    I feel the need to throw my 2cents in on this thread.

I recently purchased one of these, and HOLY RAT SH*T does thing thunder. I have to say that this is not your run-of-the-mill bass. It doesn't sound like any other bass I've ever tried or played. The other people in the TB threads are totally right about this bass and its output, it's insane. I plugged it in and immediately blew a tube in my preamp. You cannot use this bass like you do other fender basses. I found I had to completely re-EQ my amp to make it sound right, and throw my -15dB pad on like I do with my active basses (plus change a preamp tube, dammit -_-).

The string spacing is really wide, but quite comfortable once you get used to it. I find like many others that I use the front pickup most on the bass, with the back pickup turned up about 1/3 of the way, but I roll the tone knob all the way up. I rolled the bass knob on my amp almost all the way back, boosted the mids, and turned up the highs quite a bit. I get a really nice sound that way, a very gutsy growl.

It is definitely not a slap bass per sé, but if EQ'd properly, you can get an old school slap sound out of it (think Toto's "Rosanna"). However, I would slap with caution, as this bass has a tendency to thunder most amps and speaker cabs into utter submission.

I love the old school look, charm, and sound of this bass. It works exceedingly well for that big sound players need for Reggae, Dub, and even old school Country (when EQ'd properly) because this bass definitely gets the same boomy, woody tones that an upright would get plus some extra thunder. It also works well for fuzzy rock and metal things like Doom (it's friends with my Big Muff) and Psych Rock, and I noticed some people even like it for aggressive styles like Punk. It sounds great tuned down (tried it in C and B, and woof). I really don't know if this beast would pair well for something like Thrash or Death Metal or one of those genres, but I haven't really tried it out in those settings yet.

Overall, I'm incredibly impressed with this. I find myself unable to put it down after picking it up and plugging it in.

I'm mostly impressed by the pickups, and after reading other threads and scouring the internet for more info on these have yet to come up with much. I know they're based on the old Seth Lover design, but are they the same type of magnets (cunife) and winding as the original 70's Tele basses? It sounds like those were expensive to produce due to the rarity of the magnets, and my guess is they're not the same, but can someone tell me otherwise? Either way, I'd really like to know more about these pickups specifically, and if anyone else makes an aftermarket replacement. I was unable to find any, and I know it's quite unlike the Gibson Mudbuckers.

I'd have to say my only complaint with the bass is that it isn't a string-thru body like a proper telecaster should be. I think that'd improve sustain and tone clarity a bit. I'm sure Fender had their reasons for not including this (my guess is cost-cutting reasons) as a standard feature, but if there was one thing I'd change about it, it'd be that.

Pyrat likes this.
  20. Wow, after reading all the praise of this bass I'm feeling like I shouldn't sell mine. I guess I'll put it up for sale here since this is where really players will appreciate the bass the most. I'll try to get picts up this weekend. Mine is flawless. I mostly play upright and fretless, I kinda picked this up on a whim after I sold my Sting bass.