1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modified Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by detoxxx, Dec 15, 2011.

1. detoxxx

detoxxx Supporting Member

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Devon Guitars, Empire Ears, Reunion Blues, Pig Hog Cables
    Hey guys!

I modified a Squier Affinity V with some Nordy's. Check out the clip and tell me what you think. Not sure if I want to try a different configuration or just sell the bass and try something different. Please!! I'm open to hearing any feedback you guys can offer. Please ignore my playing!!! LOL!!! I'm still working on that as well!!

Modified Fender Squier Affinity Jazz Bass V - YouTube

2. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2010
    Kansas City
    Sounds good to me. Is there a different sound you're looking for? What is that sound you're looking for? Who has that sound? On what recordings?

3. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    What I hear in my head is a modern jazz bass sound, but on a budget (if that's possible). Maybe the aggressiveness of a Marcus Miller type bass with the overall presence of a Sadowsky, but able to get a really nice Jaco-esque sound for soloing...

A great plug and play bass that doesn't need much tweaking when moving from cab to cab... or from studio to studio.

4. Mike M.

Mike M.

Feb 14, 2010
    ????? Still working on your playing???? What are you talking about....you sounded great!! Great playing and tone!

What strings are you using?

5. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The mods appear to be very well done. The sound and playing is excellent.

6. angrydad

angrydad

Jul 31, 2004
    annville,pa.
    Hmmm,let's see.
    -Excellent playing...check
    -Great Feel...check
    -Great Tone...check
    I'm sorry,you're question was....?;)

7. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks a lot!!

I'm Using DR Hi Beams

8. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thank you very much!

9. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    LOL!!

Thanks man!

10. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

That sounded great! -
    I had 2 affinity V's in the past, both modified in different ways and then stupidly sold. I'm thinking of getting another. Too bad I suck, though.

11. GBassNorth

GBassNorth

Dec 23, 2006
    SoCal
    Argh, that sounds horrible, doesn't sit in the mix at all, tone and timing are way off and the slap sound completely sucks....oh wait a second, that was my recording I was listening to - yours sounds FANTASTIC!

Seriously, what do you have tied up in that bass, maybe $300 or $400 tops and it sounds as good or better to me than any $2500 Sadowsky I've heard. Keep that bass, mod it more if you want but to my ears it (and your playing style) both sound top notch, pro level by any standard! I'd hang onto that bass and go out an buy another Affinity Jazz 5 and hot rod it to a Markus Miller type tone if that's what you want. Then you'd have the choice of keeping the one that sounds best to you or keeping both and using them for different moods and songs (always good to have a backup bass anyway).

12. FArfel

FArfel

Nov 23, 2011
    Do the affinity basses have thinner bodies? I know the affinity guitars do.

13. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks!

What mods did you have on your Affinity's? It may give me some new ideas!

...and I'm sure you don't suck!

14. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    Thanks!

I was actually surprised at how it came out. I just kinda jumped in with some stuff I liked from a few other high end basses.

You it the nail on the head. I spent about $350 on parts and labor... so it's turning out to be a $500 bass. The only reason I bought it was because it felt great in my hands, but the tone wasn't 100% there. And you're right it does make a great backup to my Sadowsky M5-24.

15. detoxxx

Mar 14, 2011
    Atlanta, GA
    I wouldn't necessarily say that it's thinner. It's definitely a bit on the heavy side. I did an hour and a half set standing up with this bass and my back was feeling it.

Are the affinity guitars heavier?

16. FArfel

FArfel

Nov 23, 2011
    No. The guitars are lighter. The affinity telecaster bodies are 1.5" thick, while the regular squier and fender telecasters are 1.75" thick.

17. eastcoasteddie

eastcoasteddie Supporting Member

Lol.

The first one I had, put Duncan 67/70 pickups in it, MIM black abalone pickguard and a Bad Ass V bridge. I wish I still had that one, and honestly I have no frickin idea why I sold it...probably because of TB GAS...

The next one I put in a pair of MM style pickups and a 2 band pre, series/parallel/single coil settings, too. I routed the body with a Dremel.

18. dagovna659

dagovna659

Mar 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    hi young man, I listened to your playing and tone(flawless). I have the Affinity jazz v also(black). Thought I wanted to mod it but couldnt. On youtube checkout(11coopbass) he's modded some $100 basses that sound just as good or better than a lot of hi-end basses, I believe the total of his mods were about $50. I'm currently waiting for the parts(Preamps-sheilding tape football i/p jacks) to mod a few of my sx basses (I lived 5 miles from rondo when they were in nj) so I ended up buying quite a few of them after hearing the tones from 11coopbass' sx mods i am going to give it a try ($15 3band preamp $3 football jack $4 sheilding tape). As for your tone from youtube its a tone I can live with and be happy with. You did good "Grasshopper". Peace

19. BIG97BEN

BIG97BEN

Sep 12, 2011
    Richmond VA
    I thought it sounded great and have been considering going that rout myself.

20. Moe Monsarrat

Moe Monsarrat Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2006
    Austin, Tx.
    Endorsing artist:Regenerate Guitar Works Carvin, Micheal Kelly Guitars
    Very nice chops. I also own an Affinity Jazz 5 which I paid $229.00 for brand new. I replaced the bridge w/a Hipshot and put some very nice Dogal Jaco flats on it & it smokes. I was going to replace the pups with something exotic, but I found I really loved the tone I was getting. I love it MUCH more than the tone from the stock Fender pups on my MIM Jazz 5 (which I replaced w/Barts). I take it on tour sometimes when we're going somewhere it might get stolen out of a parked van or whatever,,,,,Europe mostly. It's all white which photos nicely on a big stage (sunburst is better in a nightclub) & if it gets stolen.....another $300 & we're good.