1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

modifying avatar b212 neo cab to accept sealed back 6" drivers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lethal dose, Jan 4, 2017.

1. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    to start i, i've got the model with the avatar proprietary deltalite ii 2512 drivers. some folks love the sound, i find myself wanting to bridge the gap that is present from the upper mid dip in these drivers to where the horn picks up. i plan on deleting the horn, as i do not favor them in a bass cab (i play a kappalite loaded mesa powerhouse 215 and an svt 810). if my research shows correct, 1.6khz seems to be the common crossover point for this set up, but with factory 2512 drivers. i can't find any t/s parameters on the avatars save for statements by others about the upper mid dip. should i cross over higher to let the woofers do their thing until they run out of freqs? if i cross over at 1.6khz, will the upper mids produced by the 6" drivers be loud enough so that the lows coming from the drivers won't overpower them? next... i cant find a 4 ohm crossover for this application. should i run two input plates each with an 8 ohm 1.6khz (if that's what we go with) on them? last question... does anyone make (or can anyone here make me) a cab ready one to these specs? thanks, folks!

2. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    The reason for using a mid driver isn't frequency response so much as dispersion. Twelves can go to 3k hz or more, but they'll be beaming. 1.5 to 2k hz is a good range to go from twelves to a midrange, but as for the crossover that's probably a DIY proposition.

lethal dose likes this.
  3. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    i'm beginning to think so. hopefully one of the nice members here would like to be commissioned to build me one! :)

4. Saetia

Saetia

Mar 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    There was a mid modified Avatar 212 for sale in the classifieds not too long ago, and I do believe there was a thread on it back a bit as well. Might have some good info.

5. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    This crossover would work for 1600hz . It's a highpass so it won't change the ohms of the cabinet as it only affects the mid driver . You will have to take the existing crossover completely out of the cabinet and run the power from the speakons directly to the woofers and the crossover also . Then out of the crossover high output to the mid driver .
    "Eminence PXB:1K6 High Pass Crossover Board 1,600 Hz" from www.parts-express.com!

6. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    Could you run two six-inch mids with this?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2017
  7. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    As long as the mid is 8 ohms , yes . The 12's would run full range and the mid would have the low end cut off about 1600 Hz .

8. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    That was supposed to say "two", not "to".

9. Blues Bass 2

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    Ok , then you would need two of them . It would be easier if you went with one 6" mid if you could find one that would balance out with the woofers .

10. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    If you don't low pass the twelves you're going to have destructive interference between them and the midrange.

11. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    The guys at avatar seem to suggest 2.5-3.5khz. I'm not sure this is what I want, considering their OEM deltalite has some questionable parameters, itself.

12. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    I've considered replacing these drivers with a set of 3012 HOs. Thing is, I'm not sure how they'll react with this box. I can't get Winisd to function on my mobile device. :/

13. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    That's probably because they use 2.5 khz in their 12/6. But they also use 12dB filters, which is marginal. The only reason to use either a 2.5 khz crossover or 12dB filters is to keep the price down.
    If you're going to that you might as well start from scratch and do it right with a greenboy or BFM design.

14. IMHO with those woofers it is a waste of time and money. Your speakers go up past 4.5k.

15. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    Not so sure. The Avatar OEM deltalite ii drivers are a FAR cry from an eminence factory model. The upper mid dip is so severe, it almost seems like it doesn't recover. It's well documented that many users feel the gap between these drivers and the horn is too extreme. Others love the combo.

16. Rick James

Rick James Banned

Feb 24, 2007
    New Jersey
    On axis maybe, but not off axis. The higher the speaker goes the smaller it has to be for good dispersion. Besides, the bass doesn't stop at 4.5k.