1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Basses-I've Never Understood...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Modulus1906, Aug 17, 2012.

1. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    ...why some say these basses sound sterile. With the right pre and pickups, they are killer-sounding. Here's a good example. Whatcha think?

2. Modulus1906

Modulus1906

May 5, 2009
    By the way, I challenge anybody to tell me they they don't hear some Victor Wooten Fodera-type tones in certain parts of this song, coming from a Modulus bass. Amazing!

3. FunkyMcNasty

FunkyMcNasty Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2010
    CO
    Sounds great. Nicely done. I had a modulus funk and I regret letting it go.

4. JZQuantum

JZQuantum

Oct 12, 2008
    Nice bass, nice bass playing. Why doesn't my Q5 sound like this???

5. gt96g

gt96g Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2008
    Philly Area
    I think when it comes to the "sterility" of the sound of a modulus people use the term sterile as a synonym for super Hi-fi sounding. Whether they are sterile sounding is subjective but I think it is safe to say very Hi-fi is an accurate description of the general modulus tone.

6. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    I don't think they sound sterile, they sound "hard". Maple is similar but less so. Amps can do a lot to soften the response of a modulus, one of my all time favorites was a q5 with ampeg pre and Eden power. Great basses.

7. darkstorm

darkstorm

Oct 13, 2009
    Ive heard peeps say the same about active emg pups in general. They lack the organicness of passive pups, as the reason. The reason they lack that is cause they have the more hifi sound of active compared to passive. With modulas necks its the "It doesnt have the woodyness of rosewood, or the snap of maple". Or somesuch. I'll agree the modulas necks do lend a trait not normally found with roseood fretbaord and maple neck. But I wouldnt call that sterile sound, rather just a slightly diff sound charector. Modulas basses in general also haveing a more modern sound rather then vintage. To some its sterile if it isnt vintage. Lol. Id say mudulas necks where closer to ebony in sound char.

8. As a Modulus Q5 owner with (gasp) EMGs...I love it. I would put the depth and clarity I can get right up there with the best. I have had my Q5 for about 7 years and will always have this bass. I also have an 81 Fender P bass that is on the opposite end of the spectrum....and I love it too....just different.

9. spector_boogie

spector_boogie No Limit Honky

Apr 15, 2012
    The Woodlands, TX
    they're:
    1. ignorant because they've never owned nor played one
    2. following #1, regurgitate in threads they've heard everyone incorrectly describe what Mods sound like and treat that as gospel (i call that the Jimmy effect)

I've had about 10 Mods. the last thing they sound is "sterile". it's almost laughable at this point.

10. Sgt Baker

Sgt Baker

Aug 20, 2010
    Some day Ill rock a Q5, Gordo style with emg 40dcs like Sleepy Monkey :)

11. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Can't say I'm a fan of Modulus basses, but it's ridiculous to think that they don't sound good.

12. WoodyG3

WoodyG3

May 6, 2003
    Colorado, USA
    I've seen/heard a guy in a local band pull some great Motown sound out of a Modulus. Pretty far from sterile, I'd say. :)

13. bearhart74

bearhart74 Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2009
    sweet melodic playing. Dont care what bass hes playing it would sound good

14. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

+1 here.

I hated EMGs in a couple of other basses I briefly owned, but they really sound great in my Quantums.

Also, I agree with many people being ignorant due to not really giving a Modulus a chance. I was the same.... I had a EBMM 10th Anni NAMM Stingray that had a Status graphite neck.... I hated it and swore off all things graphite..... until I picked up a Q5.

In any case, I have owned Roscoes, Sadowskys, Benevente, Dingwall, MTD, etc. I find that a Modulus cuts through better than almost any other brand.... and can be expressive AND non-sterile. They are not P-Basses with flats in any case, but I don't get sterile!:bassist:

P.S. GREAT PLAYING OP!!!

15. Nev375

Nev375

Nov 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I always thought "sterile" in the context of basses was just an adjective for "your bass sounds better than mine and I hate it."

16. jim777

jim777 Tarantula Lobbyist

Aug 7, 2006
    South Jersey
    Agreed, when I hear people say "sterile" I always sort of wonder if they really mean "clear and articulate".

17. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    As the owner of a 1998 Genesis, a 1978 Bassstar (both with Barts) and a 2000 VJ with EMG's, there is nothing sterile about my basses. They give me a modern tight tone, with tons of feel from mids and highs to a huge thick fat bottom end. My Bassstar is a neck through full graphite neck and the VJ has a Alder wrap and my Genesis has a Red Cedar wrap. The three are as different as you can get, but Sterile is not a word you can prescribe to these basses

18. Roy Vogt

Roy Vogt Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2000
    Nashville,TN
    Endorsing Artist: Kiesel, Carvin, Accuracy, Hotwire, Conklin Basses, DNA, Eden
    IME the neck imparts some hi-frequency sizzle of it's own. Bartolinis seem to work well with this, but I'm not so much of a fan of EMGs. I did have a neck-through with Alembic Spoiler electronics, which were very versatile but warming up the tone of that bass in the studio was a problem. It's here:

19. RichSnyder

RichSnyder Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Columbia, Md
    I had a Flea 5 string and thought it was a very solid bass, but never fell in love with the tone. I guess "sterile" offends some people, so I'll just say it sounds less than organic.

20. woodyng

woodyng

Dec 19, 2007
    Oregon coast
    I've owned 2, a neck throo basstar with emgs,and a bolt on jazz type bass with barts. I liked the way they sounded,i would describe it more as all the notes on the fretboard being VERY even-sounding,so maybe that's where some of the "character" was missing for me. I was playing through a gk 800rb head at the time,so overall the sound was clean and powerful,and note articulation was great.
    (this was in the 80's) nowadays i am back to passive pickups,tube preamps and wood. And i prefer that sound,but i do have problems with the wood neck on one of my basses.