Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ibanezman80, Nov 18, 2003.

1. ibanezman80

ibanezman80

May 7, 2003
    Canada
    Does anyone here own a Modulus bass? I tried a four string Modulus the other day and boy did it sound good and play excellent. I think a five-string modulus would be an excellent bass (judging it's quality by the high price), but would like to hear a first hand, long time user's opinion.

Visit The Modulos Site

2. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I'm not a long time user....yet. I just got my Q5 about 2 months ago. I've been a very happy customer so far. Mine has the bartolini pickups and 18v preamp. I'm totally in love with the fact that every note, up and down the entire neck sounds good. Dead spots? None. Every note rings out clear as a bell. This bass has made all of my amps sound better. The action is super low. The fret work is flawless. A true world class instrument.

The one thing I will say. You can't really get a vintage jazz tone out of this thing. It doesn't have that "growl" that an old jazz strung with roundwounds has. Not necessarily a bad thing, but if you think your ever gonna need or want that particular tone than I'd recommend keeping a jazz bass in your arsenal.

Here is a post I made after buying my Q5:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=101667&highlight=atldeadhead

3. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    I own a 6 String Quantum with QuadCoil CX BartoliniĀ“s and a NS2TMB-183 18 Volt Bartolini Preamp.
    Its a Feb 2000 with Truss Rod.

It plays great, and records awesome.
    Im still looking for strings that really make it sound gnarly, but the sound I get right now is very good. Low action, GREAT B string.
    The C String is a little too thin sounding I believe.

Attached is a picture of me with it before a concert with my Band BlackSun

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Modulus makes excellent basses. The Q5 and Q6 have one of the best B strings on the planet.

I would love a Q5 with Barts.

Quantums with EMGs are not everybody's cup of tea. They are very bright, some characterize them as harsh or sterile. But they do cut through nicely in a band with loud, distorted guitars.

5. floydman

floydman Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2002
    southeast CT
    I just got a four string Quantum. I love it. They do indeed play amazingly and sound great. Slap tone like no other. The vintage jazz tone, as the others said, is not very happening with this bass, however. altdeadhead said it right, it'd be smart to keep a jazz in your collection.

6. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from Floyd: They do indeed play amazingly and sound great. Slap tone like no other. The vintage jazz tone, as the others said, is not very happening with this bass, however. altdeadhead said it right, it'd be smart to keep a jazz in your collection.

This is exactly true, the tone is unreal,the Bass
    is always in tune. I had mine built in 1990 and
    I have never regretted buying it. It is Flame Maple with blue/purple burst. This pic sucs I will
    take some new ones soon.stop by I will let you play it.
    :)
    [​IMG]

7. I've got an '85 Quantum 6, thru neck, 3 barts w/ separate selection switches, 9v active, vol, treble & bass. No serial number - when it was built I was told there was no need because no 2 were alike. This is the best bass I've owned. Built like a tank and plays like a dream. Will never sell it - maybe pass it down to my daughter if she shows ability and interest... If you decide to join the Mod club you won't be disappointed...[​IMG]

8. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Quote from ModmanQ6:No serial number - when it was built I was told there was no need because no 2 were alike. This is the best bass I've owned.

I forgot about the serial number, when they built mine they used my birthdate with the year so it would always be mine.:)

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Everything Jeff said, especially WRT to the B string!

I had a Q5 with barts... excellent bass, but traded it for one with EMG's precisely because I wanted a more "modern" tone from this instrument (I get trad tones w/my Fender RB5). Not that there was a *huge* difference between bart and EMG, but the EMG-equipped one is a bit more scooped and piano-like.

The only negative to the Q5 IMO is the 17mm bridge spacing... I prefer 19mm. But plenty of players prefer 17mm (or don't care either way).

10. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    I'll play the Devil's Advocate here and tell you why I don't like Moduluses (Moduli?).

First of all, I really don't like graphite necks. They are just too bright for my tastes.

2nd, the only basses I like are ones with an MM/J pickup configuration. The only Modulus that would fit this would be an MM/J Modulus Flea. And that's a sig bass so the price is way jacked up.

3rd, IMO, they're simply not worth the money.

Don't flame me!:bag:

11. I own a fretted six-string Modulus Quantum that I bought new in 1994. My bass has an alder body, quilted maple top, two Bartolini soapbars with a 9-volt NTMB preamp (volume, mix, bass, mid, and treb). In 1994, Modulus didn't equip Quantums with a truss rod. After nine years, the action of my bass is still quite low. With the maple top, its tone is very bright, yet full. The Barts and NTMB preamp can provide a wide variety of tones. I find my Quantum's tone includes a growl that I attribute to the graphite neck as it's similar to the modern-tone growl I experienced with a Steinberger I used to own. I string mine with DR stainless steel Lo-Riders and the B-string is excellent.

Aesthetically, I think a Quantum can be built as gorgeous as any bass out there. My bass has a black cherry velvet stain that is carried through in the graphite neck ($100 option). It's a stunner with the gold hardware. The six-string I have isn't exactly a light-weight bass though, so I use a 3.5" wide strap with it.

While I find my Quantum 6 to be a fantastic sounding, fantastic looking, fantastically playable (and I have relatively small hands) bass, my only complaint I have with it is due to the poor customer service I've received from Modulus. Their response to phone calls and emails has been quite disappointing. But, I still think I'd buy another Modulus bass because they really are that good.

12. sunburstbasser

sunburstbasser

Oct 18, 2003
    I don't own a Modulus (yet), but I have played a Vintage Jazz. That had the ultimate Jazz bass neck I have ever played, even including my Reverend (which is supposed to be great). I want both one of those and a Flea with a single MM in the bridge. Someday!

13. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Try putting some DR Nickel Lowriders on there and see what happens. I have been told that they sounds really good on Moduli. I put a set of Stainless Lowriders on my Roscoe and it now growls like nothing lese.

14. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Not all graphite necks are overly bright. My Zon is warmer than any of my wood neck basses.

As far as not being worth the money, that is your opinion. Which you are entitled to. But a lot of people don't agree with you. Modulus has sold a lot of basses over the last 15 years.

15. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    Can't pass up an opportunity to show off my beaut's.

Q4 w/ EMGS (it's a '91, I think)
    Q5 w/ Barts (2002)
    Q6 w/ Barts (2001)
    Q6 fretless w/EMGS (2000)

The fretless is a bit bright, but with a tube preamp it sounds much warmer (obviously).

Yes, Mod's are THE bass for me. Though, I've also got Fenders, Music Man, and others to satisfy those joneses' too!

-jp

16. Joshua Pickenpaugh

Joshua Pickenpaugh Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2001
    The Midwest of USA
    damnit, why dont' it load my photo?

17. Nice collection!

18. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    I love my modulus VJ Jazz bass... best... bass... ever...;)

19. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Well, if we're having a Modulus love fest... :)

Here's my Flea 4 with Lane Poor and OBP-1 preamp (since upgraded to obp-3)

It's a slap machine, great sound that cuts through. Haven't tried a Genesie or Q yet, but I'm so impressed with the Flea I plan to take a look at them. My Warwick Thumb 5 is getting a bit much for my back, so I need something lighter.

Like Fuzzbass, I also have an RB5 for vintage J tones.

20. atldeadhead

atldeadhead

Jun 17, 2002
    Georgia
    I've noticed in some of ya'lls pictures that some of the older Moduli have fret board dots. The newer models, including mine, do not. Is that an option on these basses or does Modulus just not do that anymore?