1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Mob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2007.

1. 7bridges

7bridges Supporting Member

May 3, 2015
    SW FL
    From Sam Ash in Orlando. Nice work on the price. Enjoy!

bassmike2010 likes this.
  2. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    $1800 is
    $1800 is a good price. If there’s no structural issues, that’s pretty good. The clouding of the neck finish is moisture, which most have said isn’t a real big issue, and you could always have it stripped and refinished if it really bothers you (does block the KLD (thousand ladies dancing) pattern though).

I’ve seen better deals, but also seen much worse. Does it have the OHSC?

3. mflatau

mflatau

Aug 19, 2008
    Says it comes with case but not sure if it's original.
    My other friend just picked up this one for $1800, so I was hoping to get the other one cheaper because it's a bit rough. Is replacement hardware eat to come by (knobs and bridge)? received_10156634407950312.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2018
    zenrad, iriegnome and Fred312b like this.
  4. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, the knobs are gotoh (i think- at least the stacked ones are) and the bridge is a hipshot A style 17mm/.667 width in aluminum.

That being said, these aren’t the rarest bassses, so if you wait, you’ll probably get a shot at another one.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2018
    iriegnome likes this.
  5. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    I need to find some better friends.

Mohawk likes this.
  6. zenrad

zenrad Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Bergen County, NJ
    Looks familiar :)
    Just got this one two days ago and loving it.

Attached Files:

7. Mohawk

Mohawk

Oct 17, 2016
    Oh my, that's a beauty!

zenrad likes this.
  8. andysvec

andysvec Supporting Member

Hi guys, I moved this year and am getting back into everything bass, just received the rest of my gear this week so I'm a happy camper!
    Thought I'd show my Modulus family, first a pic of my pair of quantums, the Q5 has been my main bass on thousands of gigs since I bought it new in 1992 (although it's been through a bunch of preamps and pickups and other work). The 1997 Q6 I traded a pre-Gibson Tobias for here on TB many years ago, I'm not a big 6str player but it's a great bass!

IMG_0539.
    The BassStar I believe is a 1990 from the serial number. I bought the neck connected to a beat black fender body on ebay years ago, it turned into a project with a brand new Fender ash body, Audere pre, Barts, Babicz bridge, Hipshot tuners & drop, Atelier Z pickup cover, etc. I'm not much of a 4str player these days either so I'm getting ready to list this one over on the classifieds for sale for $1100 plus shipping if anyone is interested. I'm going to put a bunch more of my collection on the classifieds as I've moved to a tiny place and just too much gear!

IMG_0547.

JFMusic, Bob_Ross, iriegnome and 5 others like this.
  9. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Looks like your buddy is selling it now,...

Modulus Quantum Five-String | Rick's Gear Outlet

mflatau and iriegnome like this.
  10. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

Bipslapper and BadWithNames like this.
  11. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

Low84 and Fred312b like this.
  12. That neck looks reallly really bad

13. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I’d guess that’s just moisture under the outer gloss finish- get it refinished and problem solved... tempted to see how low he/she’ll go, as other than that, it looks to be in good shape.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2018
  14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    Wow! I've seen and own Moduli that have finish clouding/hazing but that's nuts!

15. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

Sep 20, 2009
    Cape Cod, MA
  16. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Dang- should have shut my yap... someone got it for $1129... hope it works out for them...

17. I offered significantly less than that

18. mflatau

mflatau

Aug 19, 2008
    Yeah... He listed it for about 1 hour. Had to either sell it or his jazz or p bass. His p bass sold so he's keeping it (for now). Makes me want to wait just in case he decides to get rid of it again!

19. mflatau

mflatau

Aug 19, 2008
    I've seen a few folks talk about refinishing a modulus neck. Anyone had it done? How much is it? Can a regular luthier do it with the carbon fiber?

20. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Does anyone in here have an EMG BQC set up (two stacked pots, preferably the newer solderless one)? If so, can you post a pic? Having a heck of a time trying to figure out how to make it all fit in the control cavity...
    E66E2ECF-F764-4F87-927B-090DC68FF7EB.