1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Modulus Mob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2007.

1. My control cavity looks like a goddamn war zone tbh.

Bob_Ross likes this.
  2. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

looks like a tricky fit with the mid-board bumping into either the pan pot, concentric pot, or the battery wall.

was having kinda the same issue with my '91.

IMG_0327.

if you look close, you can see the control cavity cover puckering upwards from all the crud that was crammed into the cavity.

i gave up and had a battery box installed.

good luck.

Fred312b likes this.
  3. I believe I have that preamp system. However, I won’t be able to post any pics until tomorrow at the earliest. I’ve got graduation and an all night grad party today.

Fred312b likes this.
  4. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    That’s a good excuse. No rush- I’m taking some time away from it to think it through. Sadly, nothing is ever as easy as I plan it to be...

BadWithNames likes this.
  5. Sounds like when I try to do something.

How new is the solderless system? My bass is from early 2001 and I believe it to be original. Is that new enough, or would that be the older model?

6. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    According to the google machine, EMG started the solderless stuff in 2009, so it may be a different system. I’m just trying tk see how the two stacked pots fit, since one has a big circuit board and they are connected by a ribbon cable... i am thinking they won’t without some routing, but don’t know if I want to go that route (no pun intended).

BadWithNames likes this.
  7. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Hello Modulus Mob!

An upcoming trip to Minneapolis puts in the Modulus/Planet Bass territory and I've been coordinating with them to visit their shop. Not sure whether that will include the actual Modulus workshop or just Planet Bass, but either way I'm excited. If they allow me to take some photos I'll happily post some up here. I'm super excited either way just to visit "the source" haha! ;)

8. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I think Joe Perriman is still in CA making them, so I doubt you’ll see behind the scenes, but they should have some nice ones in stock...

9. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Good to know. It hasn't been clear about what is actually in Minnesota. Either way, it's a trip to Planet Bass!

10. Bob_Ross

Bob_Ross Supporting Member

Dec 29, 2012
    It definitely didn't require any routing on mine ...presuming you're talking about using a power router on the wood body? No shaving, gouging, hacking, enlarging, or modification of the electronics compartment was required.

It did however require a crap-ton of patience, combined with a willingness to dramatically lower my standards as far as the neatness & aesthetics of the installation went. (Mine was complicated by the fact that the pickups were from '89, so pre-solderless; I had to solder on those pins that plug into the stupid little junction box, which just contributed to the fugliness.)

As I mentioned on Facebook, I'm a little scared to pop the hood to take a pic for fear that I'll never get it all stuffed back in there again! But now that I think about it, I did change the batteries within the past ~3 months so I know it's possible. Next time I'm back at the studio I'll try to remember to open her up and take a photo for you

Fred312b likes this.
  11. countmattula

countmattula Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Not as fancy as the other basses I've seen on here, but none-the-less my first Modulus bass. 2002 Flea Bass
    IMG_20180607_211700.

Low84, fishstix, iriegnome and 6 others like this.
  12. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    iriegnome likes this.
  13. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    So here’s the scoop - The basses are crafted in California and Tony does the final assembly, wiring, and setup in Minnesota. Out of respect to some products that have yet to be announced, I’m not going to post any photos. I was there for almost 2 hours talking about the company, basses, playing some beautiful ones, and spending money! Didn’t buy a bass, but I picked up the new lightweight tuners for my FB5, a 3.5” leather strap with the Modulus logo and strap locks (this model has yet to be announced), strings, and a shirt.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  14. fauxtoe

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    To add to my story of visiting Modulus/Planet Bass, the first bass I see as I’m walking in is a blue flake FB4 with gold hardware. Having recognized that bass as one exactly like Flea played the Star Spangled Banner on prior to a UCLA basketball game, Tony informed me that it indeed was that exact same bass. It was Tony’s personal FB4 and he shipped it out to LA for Flea to use. The color scheme is because UCLA is blue and gold. I’m a sports photographer for my job and I happened to be there that day, getting photos and a short video of Flea warming up on it and eventually the Anthem itself. Of course I had to play it! It was still set up with Boomers and to Flea’s specs. He runs a very low action (plenty of info out there as to what it is) and it takes no digging in at all to get that famous Flea growl. Bass heaven!!

15. carsonchilders

carsonchilders Carson Childers Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Thanks for sharing! That is awesome.

fauxtoe and iriegnome like this.
  16. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    modulus mob maybe you can help me,
    I am in the market for a 5 string. I play an alembic epic 4 string currently and love it but need the low B. I am looking between an epic 5 and a mod q5. My playing heroes are phil lesh and mike gordon and I play sort of in that same style of music. I am wondering if anyone has any comparisons they can make between the 2. Obv the alembic is a 34" scale vs a 35" modulus scale. Is it harder to find the modulus with a wood fingerboard? how can you tell if its wood or phenolic? I have played a q5 once and the scale didnt seem to feel too different to me than the 34: I am used to. any advice or tips appreciated!

17. GeoffGould

GeoffGould Commercial User

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    Go 35", but of course, I'm opinionated!

carsonchilders, elgecko and iriegnome like this.
  18. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    Philly
    hahah wonder why ;)

iriegnome likes this.
  19. mikezimmerman

mikezimmerman Supporting Member

Apr 29, 2001
    Omaha, Nebraska
    The Modulus will have a clearer, more consistent tone up and down the neck. The 34" vs 35" scale makes a difference to some folks and not to others.

Phenolic is the standard fretboard for Modulus Q/Quantum models. You do see them with wood (chechen, usually) fretboards, but that's a little less common. It's pretty easy to tel them apart, because, well, one looks like medium-colored wood, and the other is plain black with no grain.

The Modulus Genesis is a slightly different beast. It has a carbon graphite core with a wood back and wood fretboard. The scale on those is also 35", but the neck is wider than the Quantums, and it has 22 frets rather than 24.

Fred312b likes this.
  20. Fred312b

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    I agree with everything, except I have a 19mm Q5 which matches the nut width/string spacing of the Genesis ;)

But yeah, the wood 'boards are easy to spot, as they're a member of the rosewood family (chechen and grenadillo).

iriegnome likes this.