1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Mob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Modulus 96

Modulus 96

Jun 10, 2018
    I may review the intonation on my basses, maybe it's time to start doing it once every quarter century.

2. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017

The question wasn't about whether or not I can do setups (I can and regularly do) but if the mod needs it as much as my p or jazz used too

iriegnome likes this.
  3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    I check intonation whenever I change strings, even if I'm using the same kind. If I'm switching to a different string, I'll do relief and action as well. Outside of that, never.

Fred312b likes this.
  4. drewphishes

drewphishes Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2017
    I'm sure I am not the only one but I use flats on my q5 so don't change the strings to often

Fred312b likes this.
  5. yodasfro

yodasfro

Aug 31, 2015
    CT
    bassmike2010 and iriegnome like this.
  6. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    bassmike2010 and iriegnome like this.
  7. Sgt007

Sgt007

Oct 4, 2007
    Spicewood, TX

So sorry about that. I apologize. I've got a Fender avri pbass and needs much more adjustment than the Modulus ever did. Every time the seasons change, I have to go at it. Not with the Modulus at all.

bassmike2010 likes this.
  8. Sgt007

Sgt007

Oct 4, 2007
    Spicewood, TX
    Oh man! I've been wanting to put flats on just to see how my Quantum responds. What brand of flats do you use and how do you like them?

9. Bassman8416

Bassman8416 Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2004
    Long Island,New York
  10. carsonchilders

carsonchilders Carson Childers Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2012
    Lexington, Kentucky
    Hey friends! Sorry if this has been asked before. I did a search to the best of my understanding.

I’m am swapping my Q5 Bart’s for soapbar EMG j style pickups. I can’t seem to dial in on an emg soapbar jazz that is noiseless? I’m looking for a more meaty, bright tone. Which models would you suggest?

Currently there is one battery in the bass and an Aguilar obp3 preamp. Will there need to be an additional battery? Routing shouldn’t be necessary?

Last edited: Jul 9, 2019
  11. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    All EMG active pickups are noiseless - even the J models (soapbar or traditional J shape) are stacked dual coils, not single coils.

You won't need an additional battery, you can run the EMGs off the battery you've got. A lot of people -myself included - prefer to run EMGs at 18 volts, though. At 9 volts they can run out of headroom if you play hard, especially on the low B string, which causes a less clear tone. Not exactly distorted, but less defined. 18 volts gives them all the headroom you'd ever need.

What size are your Barts? Are you sure EMGs will fit?

Fred312b likes this.
  12. GeoffGould

GeoffGould Commercial User

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    I'm a big fan of 18V, but if it's not an EMG EQ system, make sure it can take it. In the old days, there were some Bart systems that couldn't handle 18V. That may not be the case anymore.

13. carsonchilders

Nov 10, 2012
    Lexington, Kentucky

Wow I didn’t expect them not to fit. I was under the impression it was standardized! I am not sure what size the Bart’s are. Do I just measure? Photo attached! I was considering the 40J

Thank you! It’s an Aguilar OBP-3. I’ll look in to that.

Attached Files:

14. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Is this your first time replacing electronics/hardware on a bass? :D I am joking, but only sort of... as someone who can never leave well enough alone, I have been burned by that a few times- sometimes even when they’re supposedly the same size :rollno:

But yeah, measure the barts- EMG 40’S are 4” long by 1.5” wide. I’d bet they’re the same size (those barts in your bass have the same screw pattern, vs 2 on top and 1 on the bottom), but better safe than sorry.

Good luck, and nice bass!

And an Aguilar OBP-3 will handle 18v, fyi.

carsonchilders likes this.
  15. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Yeah, just measure them. EMG 40 soapbars are 1.5"x4". Bartolini does make pickups in this size, but they make a lot of other sizes, too. A lot of Modulus Q5s have Barts that are "P2" size, which are 1.25"x4.25".

Before you decide on which EMG you want to try, you might want to look at the bottom of your Barts to see what model you've got. They're usually engraved with the model number, done by hand so sometimes a little messy and hard to read. They make a bunch of variations in every size. Once you know exactly what you've got, it's easier to know how to get to where you want to be.

The OBP-3 will run at 18v, no problem.

Fred312b and carsonchilders like this.
  16. carsonchilders

Nov 10, 2012
    Lexington, Kentucky

It is the first time! I will hire a professional.

Fred312b likes this.
  17. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    My modulus is quickly becoming my number one. Love it. So punchy. If I play aggressively with a pick I swear it sounds like I’m slapping it.

I had a stingray for many years and couldn’t deal with the weight. I’m also usually a fan of fat necks, but this one is perfect and doesn’t cramp my hand at all.

Attached Files:

DeathDancer and Fred312b like this.
  18. shaggy45

shaggy45 Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2009
    Georgia
    Will a neck from a modulus vintage jazz fit a fender body? I think it would be cool to make a lined fretless p bass

19. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

yeah, you might want to be absolutely sure about it being an easy 'drop-in' replacement. m4-sized pickups (4" x 1.5") from various manufacturers can vary ever so slightly. iirc, emg's can be a bit wider at the bottom than at the top. so if you have a bass with original routings for bart m4-sized pickups, the emg's might not fit. you might have to widen the pickup routings a mm or two all around to accommodate the emg's. i've picked up used basses where the emg's were sanded down a bit so that they'd fit into the pickup routings.

most of my basses have aggie obp-3 pre's and i run them 18v, no prob.

carsonchilders likes this.
  20. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I just bought a VJ (used). It should arrive in the mail next week. I asked Tony at Modulus about the configuration. He said if the input jack is on the side of the bass - then it should be active (the bass has EMG's installed) and he explained the control layout. He said if the input jack is on the control plate cover - then it should be passive.

I've owned two Zon's and would have loved to have gotten another - but they are hard to come by (used and priced within reason).

Now I just need an amp - I've got a Bag End 15" on standby to play this new VJ through. I'm hoping this bass is as good as I think it will be.

Fred312b and bassmike2010 like this.