1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Mob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I just r
    I just received a Modulus VJ bass today (I mail ordered one from out of state). The guy on the phone told me that it currently has flats on it. So I've tooled around on the bass today unplugged (I don't have an amp yet). I've got some EB Cobalts on the way to me that I'll install. My bass also has the Chechen fingerboard option on it along w EMG's. I can't wait to hear wait it sounds like plugged in :)

EDIT: This was a used bass that I bought from GC - however, except for a little nick on the edge of the body - this thing looks pristine to me.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2019
    Fred312b likes this.
  2. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    You may need a CCL for that thing

3. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Perfect! I've had 3 - Maine, Washington & Oregon :)

bassmike2010 likes this.
  4. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Today brought back memories because the first high end bass I bought via mail order was a Zon Sonus V and that was back in summer of 1995. When I was slicing open the box today to get to this bass I couldn't help but think of the day I got my Zon. So far unplugged, this thing feels amazing. I've been waiting for one of these since around 1991 :)

IMG-3914. IMG-3920.JPG IMG-3918. IMG-3922.JPG

5. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Absolutely gorgeous. All the best qualities we want in a bass.

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  6. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    I appreciate it - thank you! :)

bassmike2010 likes this.
  7. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Fender Jazz/ Modulus/ EMG fanboi sooo.

8. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Ha, awesome :) I just put some EB Slinky Cobalts on and now I notice my strings buzz. I know I'm being Captain Obvious here - but since you can't adjust the nut, truss rod (I have a pre-truss rod model) - I guess the only thing that can be adjusted is the height of the saddles. I also just ordered some Elixir strings - I've been playing bass since 1991 and figured it was time I gave them a shot. My younger bro plays six string guitar and swears by them, so I figured what the heck.

9. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Good question. I have a 94 pre truss rod model as well and have done set up work in the past and never had to make a truss rod or relief adjustment. I also have an expert Tech locally that right now is removing the polyurethane from the back of the neck without having to remove it so. Perhaps one of the guys can be a better assistance.
    I run Dean Markley blue steel's on the Q5
    for years and love them. Cobalt round's on the SR5 which feel stiffer but full tone.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
  10. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    That's terrific - thank you for the info. I don't want to get laughed at bringing it to a shop for a setup since the only adjustable piece seems to be the saddle heights on the Gotoh bridge. I was hoping that when I switched out the flats for the Slinky's that the action would be pretty much the same - but no such luck. I didn't realize that Modulus made necks with the option of having a poly finish on them (I saw it today on their website listed as an option). It appears my bass has it too. Tomorrow I'll know a lot more about how this bass is going to work for me since my amp will show then (bought an old SWR SM-400). Were you the original owner of your '94 Modulus?

11. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    Yes I'm the original owner and the only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. Especially to a guitar tech. That's his job. In here you want to choose your battles but everyone is considerate especially when it comes to helpful Tech suggestions. You aren't going to ask any question that someone hasn't already addressed. Even if you Google your issue the first hits will come back from TalkBass.

12. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    You are correct and I agree - thank you. Good for you - having the bass that long. I traded my Zon 5 for a Zon 4 - and then as life happens (and I was a single kid living in Seattle) I either had to come up with rent money or move out - so Bass Northwest sold my Zon on consignment for me. I wish I still had it. I would love to remember what I paid for my Zon's - because I saw what the street prices are today in 2019 - and there is no way I would have even considered them (or any brand) at that price. Thanks again for your help/advice. And as long as UPS gets my amp here in one piece tomorrow - I should be in action!

bassmike2010 likes this.
  13. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    So a few minutes ago - I just played my Modulus plugged in for the first time ever (and probably the first time I played a Modulus since the 90's). I can't tell you how much I'm loving this VJ bass going into a SWR SM-400 and a Bag End 15. I was literally blown away as I was playing & couldn't stop smiling. Then of course I had to connect my Darkglass B3K and then got even more blown away. What a simple, powerful, amazing sounding rig (IMO).

So glad I found this Modulus at an affordable price. What I can't believe is, even though it was made in 1997 - visually; it looks like it's practically brand new. Anyway; very excited to hear my new bass for the first time - what a great instrument :)

14. elgecko

elgecko

Apr 30, 2007
    Anasleim, CA
    I've always loved my Moduli through my Bag End stack. I should bring the stack out of retirement!

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
    Direct Box Rox and iriegnome like this.
  15. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    When I added the Bag End 15 under my DNA 112, bam... That's the super phat, rounded, clean tone.. Right there. Kudos!!

elgecko and UpperBout like this.
  16. bassmike2010

bassmike2010

May 28, 2010
    Houston
    At one point years ago I was in a band that had corporate funding and was told to go out and pick out my dream rig including Bass. Yeah my jaw dropped too but it was real. First on the list was my Q5. Then a Furman conditioner, wireless rig, SM 900 and 410 / 118 Bag Ends and processer.
    My first big rig. We were playing dance halls so even though it was overkill it was ungodly. Brooks & Dunn at 110Db lol.
    Someone else I'm sure his pictures

Fred312b, Direct Box Rox and elgecko like this.
  17. GeoffGould

GeoffGould Commercial User

Jan 10, 2004
    San Francisco
    owner of G. Gould Basses
    We used to have a Bag End AF-1 in the showroom when we were on Folsom St. Awesome!

18. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Bring out the stack & dust it off :) I remember my old rig for playing live; SWR 2x12 then on top of that was an SWR 8x8, and then on top of that was two Eden WT-300's (one powered the 2x12 and the other powered the 8x8). Thing was L O U D .

19. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Took some glamor shots the other day...
    5DB55782-50A4-47CE-B42B-E1F066B308FF. A1CF4B4A-D1ED-4B08-B6DB-D1E95EBAA355. A5B9E093-1480-4BE4-9DD2-2EEE6A55EE86. 93C56E9C-9644-437A-B877-87C4590C393F.

20. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Hola Mobsters.

It looks like I am making a trade for a ‘91 Quantum 5 fretless. Does anyone know the width of these basses at the nut? I have read that the specs changed at sometime in the 90s early 00s.

Also, I haven’t played a bass with Bart’s in a long time but I wasn’t crazy about them in the past. This bass has the 3 band pre and Bart soapbars. I am looking for some kind of tone that is very different than my Alembic Series 1. I am sure the graphite and bolt on neck will lead to some different tones but I am wondering about maybe a Darkglass Tone Capsule or maybe an ACG pre with some type of Wal-like pickups. I definitely want to be able to cop a tone that is pretty aggressive/growls as well as something smoother.

Anyways, anyone that has made electronics changes, what have you done?

iriegnome likes this.