1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Modulus Mob

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by rockstarbassist, Feb 28, 2007.

1. pnutz

pnutz Supporting Member

q5's have pretty much stayed at 1 7/8" at the nut and 2 3/4" at the 24th fret since geoff introduced them in the early 90's.

tone from electronics will be subjective. so many options not to mention their interaction with various amps and speaker combinations in various settings. my go-to will always be bart dual-coils into an aggie obp-3. my tone.

DeltaPhoenix likes this.
  2. DeltaPhoenix

DeltaPhoenix Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Thanks @pnutz for the measurements

Agreed, tone is subjective. I will just wait until I spend some time with the bass in it's current state before making up my mind on any changes.

3. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    Wednesday is the big day! So excited for this fretless Q5!

4. Direct Box Rox

Direct Box Rox Silence = Deaf

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Just out of curiosity, what's the realistic selling price/range for a 1997 Modulus VJ with the Chechen fingerboard option and EMG pups? I'd say the condition is very good - 1 or 2 nicks/dings on the body.

Thanks guys :)

Attached Files:

bassmike2010 likes this.
  5. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Put this on the FB page as well

FYI- looks like the LowEnd.net is getting in a silver sparkle fu4, matching headstock, truss rod/“relief adjusting system”and badass bridge, only asking $2199. No affiliation.

7E0C9FD5-E661-496F-BA73-D8D18A21474D.

Collectors collection - 8/12 | The Lowend Bass Shop

Last edited: Aug 13, 2019
    Direct Box Rox and iriegnome like this.
  6. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    That seems pretty good to me. It seems like every time I see that Modulus model for sale on Reverb or Ebay it's between $3000-$5000.

Fred312b likes this.
  7. BigBoyPete

BigBoyPete Supporting Member

May 17, 2018
    Is this bass up for sale? Does it have a truss-rod? By the way, its beautiful!

Direct Box Rox likes this.
  8. iriegnome

iriegnome Bassstar style Supporting Member

Nov 23, 2001
    Kenosha, WI 53140
    I believe it is on consignment at The Low End shop in Tennessee

BigBoyPete likes this.
  9. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    It's not for sale (I just got it a few weeks ago). It was a pre-truss rod era bass. I was just curious what the going range is for this brand/model is. I bought from a Guitar Center in FL btw - and thanks for the compliment! :)

Fred312b and iriegnome like this.
  10. BigBoyPete

BigBoyPete Supporting Member

May 17, 2018
    Enjoy It!

11. About 1300-1500

12. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Thank you :)

13. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    Hey, everyone! Last I heard, Modulus had temporarily stopped production for a while, but started up again at a very limited pace. Is this still the case?

Is it a single person building these at this point? Just curious. I've always wanted to try one, but even the specialty bass shops around me don't ever get them in stock.

14. Fred312b

Fred312b Proof that gear doesn't make you a better player Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    Modulus Bass Guitars, Modulus Graphite, Quantum, Funk Un

iriegnome likes this.
  15. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
  16. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Long story short, Modulus Guitars was shut down and what emerged after patent purchases and ownership change is Modulus Graphite. Planet Bass in Minnesota owns them now, and Joe Perman makes the guitars out of his shop in California. They’re shipped to Minnesota for final assembly that is completed by owner Tony Cimperman. That’s how it was explained to me and I’ve witnessed it first hand when I visited PB spring of 2018.

17. SleepyShark

SleepyShark

Feb 28, 2018
    The Low End
    If for whatever reason I'm ever in Minnesota I'll have to check Planet Bass out! It's a pretty cool story. Though production is limited, it would be a bummer to see such a unique bass brand fade away, so I'm glad they're still around!

18. fauxtoe

fauxtoe Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2018
    Murrieta, California
    Absolutely worth a visit! They're northwest of downtown Minneapolis in Maple Grove. You'll probably need to give them an email or call to set up a date to come in, but in addition to Modulus you'll find the other basses they have listed on their website.

19. DeltaPhoenix

Apr 6, 2011
    Gainesville,FL
    The Q5 showed up early:
    94470272-1ADE-4778-9D42-94E2AF0BB0FE.

I am kind of blown away that my first impression is that the action is too low or something. The mwah is just flying off the bass, even when I don’t want it to. I would like to have a little more control.

Before I start making some changes any ideas besides raising the action at the bridge? It has DR Black Beauties, I think I read that some DR strings don’t work well with older Moduli, is that right?

20. Direct Box Rox

Feb 12, 2012
    USA
    Whenever I see a Q5 I get flashbacks of seeing David Ellefson playing the heck out of his quiver of Q5's :)

DeltaPhoenix likes this.