Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus Q6 /w Neck Bow

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DiG, Feb 19, 2005.

1. I'm thinking of purchasing this used Modulus 1997 Q6. But there's a bow in the neck causing fret buzz on the first 6 frets. Its a '97 so there is no truss rods to adjust the neck. Will this tend to be a problem? And has anyone else had this problem or a similiar problem and what did you do about it?

Thanks

2. bump

3. I have a 1996 Q6 with no truss rod.. Thankfully I have had no problems (knock on wood) with neck bow.

But, unfortunatly, I dont think there is much you can do about it except buy a replacement neck. I find it odd it would bow in the first place..

4. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Run, that neck is toast.

5. ok, im bit newby, but i never heard of a bass without a truss rod???

please explain?

6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Modulus necks are 100% carbon fiber/graphite construction. A truss rod is not nescessary. Even the new ones DO NOT HAVE A TRUSS ROD, and modulus is very careful not to call them such, but rather "relief rods". It has 3 settings, and that is it. They are NOT a structural part like a typical truss rod, and Modulus will tell you that.

It's very rare there is a problem like this with Modulus necks, but I have read isolated incidences such as this. Again, it is not repairable.....stay away unless you plan to get a replacement neck.

7. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

I own 2 modulus basses, both made in '97 never had a problem I think modulus gives you some special discount if you return the neck. Don't quote me, but I think the plans allows you to get another neck for around $350

8. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

I own 2 modulus basses, both made in '97 never had a problem I think modulus gives you some special discount if you return the neck. Don't quote me, but I think the plans allows you to get another neck for around $350

9. Pickebass

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX

I own 2 modulus basses, both made in '97 never had a problem I think modulus gives you some special discount if you return the neck. Don't quote me, but I think the plan allows you to get another neck for around $350

10. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    :eyebrow:

I've heard about double-post, but triple :p

Either:
    1.) Stay away
    - or -
    2.) Replace the neck.

That's about it

11. Funkize you

Funkize you Guest

Nov 4, 2003
    Westminster Ca.
    +1

12. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    First off I'm no expert in the field of graphite necks but here's some info that was offered to me by a few local repairmen/techs. I myself was considering a Modulus without a trussrod and was concerned mostly about not getting the setup and relief I wanted. One tech was rather vocal about graphite necks and indicated that they can warp despite what is claimed about graphite necks. Another tech didn't seem too worked up about them. But what both indicated was that they can be fixed/adjusted by heating the neck to a degree where they can be worked into the desired relief. Not sure how expensive this would be or if it requires special equipment. Hopefully somebody here can confirm or correct.

13. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Even if that works, you still can't fine-tune the neck relief...

14. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    The Modulus Genesis 5 has a trussrod. I'm a little hesitant to purchase a non-trussrod instrument as I'm picky about the relief / action aspects. I played a Zon Sonus a few years back and while the neck was fast, the fingerboard was too straight resulting in multiple fret buzzes. Of course, one can compensate by switching to a heavier gauge string set.

Riis

15. Z-Bass

Z-Bass Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2004
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Yes that's what I thought, it would be a very expensive and frustrating trial and error to get exactly the setup you need.

16. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Adjustablilty isn't a problem, I have had 3 modulus basses without the rods, and zero issues. A quantum 6, a flea 5, and my current flea 4 which was smashed by flea. I had to have the fingerboard reglued from the 11th fret to the neck heal from the damage......I have roto rounds on it now which are .35-.80 gauge, action is LOW as any bass I have ever had, and have no issues with buzzing, or anything else. I suspect the majority of the neck issues found on graphite necks were subjected to extreme heat issues, which would damage any neck.

17. thanks for the replies everyone
    I've emailed Modulus to see how much a neck replacement would cost.

18. Its not going to be CHEAP. But, if you are getting the bass for a good price and its what you want (despite the neck), then go for it.

I do have one suggestion that I have learned from my Modulus. If you do order a new new, consider one with a wood (your choice of wood) fretboard. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my modulus and would never get rid of it but sometimes it sound too "high tech". I'm not sure how to explain it. The sustain is AWESOME, the playability is great, but sometimes the sound is TOOO refind, if that makes any sense. I would think with some type of wood on the fretboard it would give a bit of a warmer sound. The problem I have now is that when I want to slap, I find myself switching basses. Some of it has to do with my pickup placement (Hot spot with the turbo option).

Just a suggestion.

19. Davo737

Davo737

Feb 29, 2000
    Syracuse, NY
    I once had a Modulus (non-trussrod) with a neck that wasn't what I'd call bowed, but just wasn't able to get the action where I wanted it. Geoff Gould recommended Jerry Dorsch at Graphite Guitar Systems, who worked with Geoff at Modulus, to do a re-fret. Much cheaper than buying a new neck from Modulus, and after the re-fret the action was perfect. He really did a great job.

20. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    I concur. A refret will probably cure this.

Graphite necks like yours don't move. They are totally stiff, and remain just as they came out of the mold. I can't imagine an error in the manufacturing process that would result in your bass coming out differently than as intended by a good mold form.

Take it to a luthier, get a refret opinion. Don't waste money on a new neck.