Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus vj4 trussrod ???

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by abolit66, Sep 28, 2004.

1. abolit66

abolit66

Sep 9, 2004
    I was trying to ajust the trustrod on my Modulus JB and while doing that I actually did not feel the same resistance as I did ajusting the wooden neck rod... Is it normal?
    I don't want to do anything wrong with that graphite prince. I'm kind of scared even to touch it :)
    So, does it work the same way as in other basses, or there is something particular in this procedure?

Thanks!

2. Bigwan

Bigwan

Feb 22, 2002
    Ballymena (hey)
    I'm only guessing here, but graphite necks have no need for a trussrod for stability. Could it be possible that the bass came to you with the truss rod slackened-off completely?

I'd drop a line to modulus and ask them if I were you...

3. kobass

kobass Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Outside Boston
    I believe the reason Modulus has a truss rod in some of their graphite necks is to allow adjusting the amount of relief to suit the players preference. That being the case, there may not be as much range versus a conventional wood neck truss rod.

4. abolit66

abolit66

Sep 9, 2004
    I'm only guessing here, but graphite necks have no need for a trussrod for stability. Could it be possible that the bass came to you with the truss rod slackened-off completely?

I'd drop a line to modulus and ask them if I were you...

I got this bass with the strings laying down on the neck without any tension. I guess it was done to avoid any possible shipping damage. But when got the bass tuned the action was a little higher than I would like...So, I started turning the truss rod...and there was no resistance, either way...Like the rod was off the nut...

5. abolit66

abolit66

Sep 9, 2004
    I actually sent the letter to Modulus customer service, but just wanted to know what the Modulus users would say...

6. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    Why mess with the truss rod to adjust the action?

7. JRBrown

JRBrown

Jun 21, 2000
    North Carolina
    I'm almost 100% sure the Modulus basses have a dual-action truss rod. There is tension in both directions seperated by a nuetral (tension-free) zone.