Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Modulus vs. Elrick

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Konquest, Nov 4, 2003.

1. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    I am looking at a variety of wide (19mm) neck five string basses in the $2000 price range. Two that seem to come up frequently are the Elrick Bolt-on models, including the Jazz model, and the Modulus Genesis. I have done the requisite searches of this forum and only really live around GC and Interstate. I will be ordering one of these sight unseen. I have played a Genesis 4 string but not the five. Who has experience with either of these models? What would your advice be? I play a wide variety of music, from covers to jam-band type stuff with extra percussion and keys. Any advice is appreciated.

2. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    bump

3. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    They're completely different animals. Modulus basses are typically very clean and bright, with a punchy jazz bass sound. Elrick on the other hand is more of a modern sound.

Here's my plug for Elrick - the absolute best neck I've ever played, bar none.

Then again, just try to get ahold of Rob Elrick. The one time I actually got him on the phone he denied ever making my bass :D

4. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Yep, they're apples and oranges. Both very good instruments. While I like the Genesis basses I'd give the edge to Elrick if you want a full AND articulate vibe, excellent playabilty, a unique sounding top end and in some cases one of the best B strings I've played.

5. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    I own both, and I'd have to give the nod to the Elrick. The sound, feel , and attention to detail are there. It's one of the cleanest sounding basses that I've played. It's right up there with Fodera's and Nordstrand's. The Q5 is a good bass, but not really in the same league. It has a nice, taunt B and even response because of the Graphite, but overall, I only find myself using it for heavier styles of music or maybe some tapping parts. Zon makes a much better Graphite neck bass if Graphite is your thing. For the price though, get a Elrick on the used market. It's without question the best deal out there IMO.

6. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Overall, my Elrick is the best bass I've ever played. It's the combination of looks, tone, ergonomics, versatility, weight, and the best neck I've ever fondled. The only necks that come close are Lakland and Fbass.

On the other hand, my Genesis (Jazz PUPs) is on my very short list of untouchables. They can be picked up at a very reasonable price, and I find the tone and versatility stunning. I don't think you can go wrong with either bass

7. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I'll pretty much second what everyone else has been saying.

In my opinion, the Elricks have the better B string. And while the Moduluses (Moduli?) have great necks and play very fast, my Elrick has the best neck I've ever played.

8. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    My vote goes to the Elrick. The modulus is a great bass, but they all seem a little dry tone wise. My elrick has a nice, full, woody tone to it.

I'm not sure what kind of tone you're looking for, but i'd say that the elrick could cover most anything, and you can pick up a used one, bolt on or neck-though for a crazy low price.

9. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    It sounds like more people are passionate about the Elrick basses. HOWEVER...these are impossible to find! I currently have 5 or 6 different stores quoting me prices on the modulus with all the possible combinations of options, whereas there are like 4 stores online that even carry a LIMITED selection of Elrick basses, and nearly every post I've checked has commented on what a jerkoff Rob Elrick is. Decisions, Decisions...btw, Thumper, what does "untouchable" mean in regards to the Genesis? Thanks for all your help guys.

10. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    Untouchable means it's not on my merry-go-round of basses. This year on the merry-go-round havee been a Lakland dlx 55-94, Sadowsky standard 5, Rob Allen MB-2 5, Sukop 5f, and a Modulus Q5. Currently a Benavente is iin-bound, and a MTD 535f and Fbass BN-5f are on the sell/trade block.

The untouchables (not for sale or trade) are: The Elrick, the Modulus Genesis, the Lakland standard 55-94, a NAAM Roscoe, or the '66 Jazz and '75P. Some of these are keepers for sentimental reasons, or because "she" says so. The Elrick, Lakland, and Genesis are there based on how they sound and feel.

BTW, my Genesis is a 2 band, no fancy top, with the grenadillo board and soma wood, and it has a deeper, less dry tone than the higher end Q5 which had a chechan board.

11. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Maybe in stores, as it's not a high production run bass. As far as I know Rob Elrick is a one man shop.
    But if you monitor the usual places - ebay, bassgear.com, harmony central you'll see they turn up fairly regularly. If you look at the previous elrick ebay auctions, you'll see there have been some bargains out there.

Funkymonkey4466 likes this.
  12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Defintley do not buy either bass brand new, unless there is a specific wood combination that you must have. Either of these two basses can be had at unherd of prices used. You can find Q5's with the truss all day for under 1500 in pretty much mint condition. The same can be said for Elrick's, sometimes even less if you can imagine that.
    As far as Rob goes, I have heard that he was kind of an ass and rather tough to get a hold of, but it hasn't been that way with my experiences with him. I had some preamp questions/issues with my bass that I brought up to him via email, and responded promptly with answers/solutions. He even sold me a brand new preamp that I put into my Q5 as a matter of fact for an unbelievable low price. So, what I saying is that I think Rob has it in him to be customer friendly.

13. Konquest

Konquest

Aug 26, 2003
    Wisconsin
    Thanks for the clarification, Thumper.
    I have emailed Gard at Bass Central regarding the next few Elrick basses coming in. G-Guitars is another that I need to contact. One of the main reasons for looking at Moduli is that I already own an exotic, natural wood bass (warwick dolphin pro 4)and was looking for something a bit more colorful. Plus Moduli seem to be VERY big in the jam band scene (Phish, Widespread, Blues Traveler, Robert Randolph, String Cheese, ARU etc.) I get to surf the classifieds quite a bit so I should be up on whatever becomes available when I have the money. Ill let you guys know with some photos when I make up my mind! Thanks.

BTW...has anyone seen "school of rock"...I ask this because I am typing this while substitute teaching for a high school drama class. Believe me, the movie made it seem a lot more exciting than it actually is!

14. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    There are currently a hybrid Elrick, a lovely Genesis, and a Zon all for sale in our Talkbass classifieds. They all look like winners, and I've never had a bad deal from fellow TB'rs.

Nice bass Tumbao. Zons are on my short list of basses to spend time with.

15. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    I also own both an Elrick and a Modulus and they are both keepers. While the Modulus is a Quantum 6 and not a Genesis, the Elrick is a Gold Standard Bolt-on. I echo what others have said: very different animals. I like them both very much for what they do. I think I'd lean toward the Modulus in a jam band, however, due to the clarity and the way it sits in a mix. Elricks are very good too, however. And Rob was quite accomodating to me on the phone although it WAS difficult to finally get him on the line.

16. Gsxtasy99

Gsxtasy99

Jul 10, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I guess i had a better expierence dealing with Rob than most. I talked with him 3 or 4 times, and each time he was helpful and friendly. I had a hard time deciding on the woods and had some electronics q's. He seemed like a great guy to me...:confused:

...it probably didn't hurt that i was ordering his top of the line bass with a bunch of extra options though...

17. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    boogiebass; that's why I always take 2 basses to a gig, I never know which bass is going to sound just right. The Genesis has been better in some venus, the Elrick in others. They, and my Lakland, have been my most consistent performers in live settings.

BTW, still looking for that 6er. :meh:

18. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    What sixer, bro? Has my senility claimed another victim? :D

I hear ya re: choices. I usually take a fretless and a fretted to my gigs unless I know there's not gonna be a "dinner" set, then I usually just take a single fretted bass, especially in rockin' clubs or casuals where they just wanna dance.

19. Thumper

Mar 22, 2000
    Layton, UT
    What 6er? Look at my sig :spit:

Before I sold the Sadowsky, we had some brief email traffic regarding a trade.

I always take a fretless as well, especially handy because the Elrick is only 8 lbs.

BTW, the FEDEX guy just dropped off my 51 Benavente, and I have practice tonite :D

20. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    Yeh, that's right. Well, I've PM'd ya so lemme know what you think.