Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Mold on my neck,how do I rid this pest!?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by VS, Feb 14, 2004.

1. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Discounted Gear: Peavey
    Any suggestions would be great,thank you. -Luke

2. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    If its on the fignerboard i think people like lemon oil or boiled linseed oil or some kind of rubbing alcohol. Do a search. Theres a big thread/poll about the "best" method.

3. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    It's on my neck,and I haven't found anything. -Luke

4. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    First of all, are you sure it's mold? If so, you have a moisture problem. Finger gunk can show up on the firgerboard. But if it's on the neck, then you need to fix the problem, as well as the symptom. I don't like using alcohol on a neck. It's drying effect doesn't do good for the wood. Lemon oil is good.

5. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2002
    Lowell, MA
    When you are not playing your bass, where do you store it? In a gigbag, case, on a floor stand (if so, what room)?

6. Pictures,please? :confused:

7. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    Yes,it is mold. It was like this when I bought it used. I keep it in a dry climate,and fairly cool. It has also not gotten any worse since I've owned it. -Luke

8. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    the clean it off with lemon oil, and keep it relatively dry and cool. You should be just fine.

9. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    I'll pick some up,thanks guy's. -Luke

10. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I just picked up some lemon oil today, for fingerboards. It helps give it a nice shine and gets rid of any build up.

11. PSCH!

The "build-up" is what I call funk residue...helps the basses tone ;)

12. Finger Blister

Finger Blister

Jul 8, 2003
    First kill the Mold.

Bleach -

Then restore oils.

The Wood Handbook, published by the U.S. Forest Products Laboratory recommends a 2:1 water & bleach mix.The solution should be applied using a bristle brush or sponge to scrub the surface of the wood.

Make a solution of 8 to 10 tablespoons of washing soda and 1 gallon water. Scrub the mildewed surface using a soft-bristled brush. Then rinse with clear water and dry. This solution can be used on most painted or stained wood surfaces. If the mildew has grown under the paint or varnish, it may be necessary to use an abrasive cleaner to scrub the wood. After scrubbing, use the solution above adding 1 cup of chlorine bleach to the solution. Then rinse well with water. Dry thoroughly as quickly as possible. Apply a wood preservative, oil, or polish.

13. Bleach?

Umm...

Bleach?

Chlorine is the active ingredient? I used to work at a Pool Chemical shop, get chlorine on your pants and they go white. No biggy. Few weeks later it rots to become a hole. No biggy, they're pants. I'm pretty sure it'll have a similar effect on wood. However this comes without having tried it, so it may very well have no considerable side-effects...I'm not trying it until someone says they did it more than a month ago and says it hasn't affected their bass.

Sure its mold? Thats definitely one thing steer clear of on my bass, most molds need a pretty humid climate to survive, the kind of climate most necks don't survive. Try one of the other cleaning suggestions and see how it goes, if its into the wood you may need a light sand to get it out. Only if you're game, if it hasn't gotten noticably worse since you've owned it, its possibly mostly dead maybe, now it has character, little ones, microscopic ones.

Josh D

14. VS

VS

Jun 6, 2002
    Mountain City, Tennessee
    It must be in the wood. My good friend is going to re-finish my bass anyway,he's going to see if he can't take care of the mold too. -Luke

15. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    cool. That'll be the way to take care of it. Good luck there.