1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

monaural fluke?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by basscooker, Apr 13, 2010.

1. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    i'm baffled by something that happened the other day when i was playing with some stuff. i'll try to explain what i did and hope you can explain how this happened: a mono signal (from the bass) into a pedal- regular mono instrument cable. "stereo" out from the pedal- two monaural instrument cables, L and R plugged respectively into two separate mono heads. when using headphone out on either head, the signal applied itself to L only (from the left head) and R only (through the right head):confused:. what?

2. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    the headphone out is probably a stereo jack, and if you use a mono cable coming out of it, you're shorting one of the sides to ground.

3. basscooker

basscooker Commercial User

Apr 11, 2010
    cincy ky
    Owner, ChopShopAmps
    sure, "stereo" out, into headphones, with a stereo cable, but the input on each amp is just mono: so if anything they should have both been only left. the amps are just Y to the headphone, seeing that the input is mono, yeah?

4. johnk_10

johnk_10 vintage bass nut Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 16, 2008
    Thousand Oaks, CA
    John K Custom Basses
    i would think so, but without a volt-ohm meter and your cable and connectors in front of me, its kinda difficult to troubleshoot.

5. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sounds like the amps knew their place.