Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Monster Magnet

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by cossie, Jun 3, 2005.

1. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    Hey,

anyone listen to Monster Magnet? i've only really started to listen to them, i think they are a great rock band - very drug influenced though.

i'd say my favorite track of their's is "Heads Explode".

I think their bass player is very good, his lines fit all the songs and sometimes have that little bit more - that i think all good _rock and roll_ bands should have, its not just heavy if you get me.

2. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I"m always happy to see the love for the MM. Do you only have the God Says No album? Or did you download a bunch of their tracks?

Yeah Heads Explode is a great track, they have a tendancy to throw in a surf vibe to a lot of their songs.

If you enjoy the "drug vibe" they had on that stuff, check out the "Dopes to Infinity" album or anything before it. Much more floaty while still rockin'

Let us make no mistake, your violation will be televised.

3. Ha, wanna hear drug influenced? Listen to Spine of God while high.........itll make you scared to go to the pisser.

I love MM, great band, though Wyndorf can get annoying sometimes.

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, he's a tad much... but he has THE greatest lyrics, just because they are way too ridiculous. Sometimes he's really reaching, but he has sooOooOooOo many cool spaced out lyrics that I can't think of a favorite.

5. He says "baby" and "sister" in like ......every song! :D

6. Kyuss kid

Kyuss kid

Jun 4, 2005
    London
    Monster Magnet are pretty cool, but if you're into that kinda thing you have to check out Kyuss, seriously either Blues For the Red Sun or Welcome to Sky Valley, Scott Reeder is easily just as good as a bassist as the guy from Monster Magnet and in my opinion alot better, Kyuss are too awesome to be true, I can't believe how much I love them, it just sucks I was too young to see them before they broke up...

7. cossie

cossie

Apr 29, 2005
    I actually bought the Monster Magnet's Greatest Hits CD ( it came with a DVD of some videos), i heard "Heads Explode" from a Kerrang Compilation CD and i was hooked on them, the lyrics are deadly - "keep that in your pants....you ain't got nothing for me..." :p

i've listened to a lot of Kyuss but to be truthful i could never really get into them.

i've found quite a few good rock bands in the last while - Monster Magnet, Orange Goblin, and i started listening to the older QOTSA a lot more too - How To Handle A Rope is a _fantastic_ song.

QOTSA are probably my favorite band, they really hit the nail on the head for me - i don't like cock rock because its just not pacey enough and too light for me, and a lot of punk is just (imo) is too fast and i don't like too many of the singers.

QOTSA have a thunderous pace at times, and just really bring the _heavy_ the first time i saw them live (2004), my jaw dropped - i have never seen anything like them!

sorry this might end up a QOTSA thread! :p

8. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    obligatory post in monster magnet thread

Edit: I like Power Trip, Blow 'Em Off, See You In Hell, and Negasonic Teenage Warhead as top MM songs.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Some Examples of Great Wyndorf Lyrics

I could go on and on and on.

10. If you like stoner rock, you HAVE to check out one of my favs of all time.... FU MANCHU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    This thread is kinda funny. No love for Monster Magnet, just bands like Monster Magnet. :(

12. I got love for Magnet! The Guitar player has the best fuzz tone ever. I like the crazy 60sish keyboards they add in on songs like See You in Hell and such.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Indeed: I haven been inspired to learn some keyboard. I use to think Keys had no place in rock... then I heard Faith No More, Monster Magnet, and Porcupine Tree and my mind was forever changed.