Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Moogerfoogerooverkill

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ben Clarke, Dec 28, 2005.

1. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    So, I'm ordering what should be an interesting little setup tomorrow morning. MF-101 LP Filter with four EP-1 control voltage pedals. That should give me something to do for the next six months...

I haven't used anything but a DI (J48 lately) in my signal path for bass in a decade. I just started playing in an instrumental trio (w/ gtr and drums) and I think a powerful tool like that will help shape the direction of the project. I haven't felt a bit of desire for effects in the alt-blues thing I've been doing for the past 18 months, but I'm thinking of pulling my old Lexicon LXP-5 out of the studio now, too for modulation effects. It'll take some restraint to avoid the "Jaco Chorus" setting, but I really must resist that temptation.

I hope I don't have to sit down to play like Ben Harper!

2. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Sooo... any thoughts?

3. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    I am a fan of the moogerfooger LP 101 and you will find great sounds from it. But the one thing that I hate is that it isn't true bypass. And you will hear it even when its off. Now it will effect your tone. All i can say is ... Get a looper. Make sure when its not on you have a clean signal path. Im not saying it will sound the same off or on, but it will get into you signal when off. But many don't so listen closely. I had mine for about 2 years. Its a very good pedal. With 4 expression pedals it will give you alot of sounds. I use just 2. But get a looper................

4. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    That is a dream rig for filter-freaks. The Moog filter is very nice and the expression pedals are where it is at for live manipulation. The big question is how you decide to use it. I have used the 101 before buying my EMMA and I liked it, but it was better when I ran a loop through it and manipulated the filter settings. Playing and working the 101 was a lot for my brain :meh:

5. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Yeah, I;ve read that the circuit is always in the signal path. Some guys seem to be really bothered by it, one guy actually liked what it did. I'll see if it's something I can't overcome.

What was the specific problem sonically?

6. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    A dream rig indeed! I haven't really used anything but the old FX25 w/ two knobs that was always around at jams @ the jazz house in Fredonia back in the mid 90s. Don't know whose it was, but it was funky. Tried a Boss, but it seemed more suited to Jerry Garcia-type lead tones.

7. schmittuml

schmittuml Supporting Member

Oct 25, 2004
    Lowell, MA
    there expression pedals are loud, flimsy plastic. THEY SUCK! get an ernie ball or something. NOT NOT NOT the moog ones. (i have one with the MF101 low pass it sucks balls)

8. thoughtpolice

thoughtpolice Banned

Sep 27, 2005
    I had one of these for a couple years played with the EP1- through a jazz bass w/ SVT4/810E cab, and wanted to support a little has been mentioned here.

-Through an effects loop it will change your tone on or off. (sucks a lot of tone!)
    -Even used through a loooper received mixed results depending on where I was plugged in (yes it was grounded) May want to try the Boss Line Selector
    -The EP1 is made very cheaply made, and does suck I’d get the Ernie ball pedal too if I were to do it over again. (I also wished I had gotten two EP pedals as it helps with the hands-free tweakability of MF101)
    -I spent a lot of time with this unit and became comfortable using it, but never getting the consistent results I wanted.

Just my experiences –you’ll definitely get killer sounds (even interesting noises) Congrats -have fun with it!!

9. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Nice Elvis quote! I'm sure we can get some windex for that...

I do read a lot of negative comments along with raves (often by the same person), so I'm going to approach this with an open ear and mind.

Regarding the CV pedals, I had no idea that they'd be so pricey for a well-built one. I also assumed the Moog would be well built. Perhaps they were a bit of an afterthought for the company.

As far as sucking tone I've got plenty to spare, hopefully!

I'll post back when the MF hits.

10. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Curious- which EB pedal worked well as a CV pedal with the MF? I checked out their current site and they have several volume pedals...

11. squarewave

squarewave Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
  12. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA

Anybody know the answer to this? I don't have a manual, and would hate to end up with 2-4 pedals that don't work. Thanks.

13. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Moog gives compatability specs on their site www.moogmusic.com

No idea about the M-Audio specs.

14. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    MF still on order, BTW...

15. squarewave

Jun 16, 2004
    Iowa City, Iowa USA
    It looks like Moog specs a pedal with a 50k - 100k pot.

M-audio's site doesn't give any useful information.

Earlier in the thread, the Ernie Ball pedals were recommended. They come with either a 25k or 250k pot depending on model. Hmmm...

16. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    i was planning on getting a Loooper for my MF-101, but i usually have the thing sitting on top of my amp so i can fiddle with the controls, so i just remove it from my signal chain when not in use. the Drive control effects your signal constantly which can actually be beneficial to keep your wet and dry signals level, but it definitely changes the sound even when switched off.

haven't gotten into expression pedals yet, but i plan on getting one eventually. right now i'm content twirling dials and learning what the thing can do.

oh yeah, don't be intimidated or discouraged! it has a bit of a learning curve, but once you figure out what everything does it's very rewarding. have fun. :)

17. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    You would be very disappointed with a EB vol as a CV pedal. They are definitely not plug and play:

From Big Briar:
    "An expression pedal for use with moogerfoogers should contain a 50K or 100K potentiometer which is connected from the sleeve to the ring terminals of the plug. The potentiometer wiper is connected to the tip terminal. The pedal cable should be shielded, with the shield connected to the sleeve. Moog Music sells the model EP-1 expression pedal for use with moogerfoogers."

If you look at the EP-1 it has a TRS plug, wired as mentioned above. To use a regular volume pedal you would have to rewire it so that the pot was connected correctly to a TRS plug. It is a CV control, not a resistive control like you see on synths and devices like the Echoplex Digital.

So rewire three EB VPs and then lug that sucker around with you! $300 later you have a nice workout on your way to the gig :bassist:

18. Ben Clarke

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    So...

Finally received the MF-101 today. My boss was impressed that they still use the orange switches.

Sat down and fiddled a bit in the studio - not through a rig, as wifey's not feeling so well. They only shipped one EP-1, so I hooked it into the Fc jack.

Not as radical as I thought initially. Took me a while to kind of figure out how things interact. There's a lot going on with the controls, and changing one parameter will affect the others.

I can see where players don't have the patience to dig into this thing, especially with no CV capability. I put it down after about 90 minutes feeling handcuffed by not having all 4 CV pedals.

There's really no way to reliably set a knob right where you need it (much less 3 or 4 critical knobs) and play a whole tune. I really can't see it being useful in a live setting without full CV control.

I do look forward to getting comfortable with the full setup through my full rig at a more realistic volume. Should come alive a bit more than 70dB through nearfields.

19. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger

Sep 22, 2005
    yes there is, just give it time. :)

20. Bassist30

Bassist30

Mar 19, 2004
    NEW YORK
    Give it time. If I can get it to work anybody can. It will satisfy you. I use the yamaha expression pedals. Works fine. Bassplayer had a review on it and gave some interesting settings that helped.