1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More bad behavior from Gibson

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by StrangerDanger, Jan 21, 2012.

1. StrangerDanger

StrangerDanger Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2010
  2. Billy K

Billy K

Nov 5, 2009
    North Bay Marin
    Nobody forces you to buy the product.This is a capitalist country.Try moving to France the caps are free.LMFAO

3. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    ROFL!

4. Lol read some of the posts on that site. Raging hard!

5. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Class A melting.

However this is pretty ridiculous. I would love to hear from someone who bought these.

6. PJRL

PJRL

Mar 27, 2010
    greenfield center NY
    After hearing about and seeing the crap Gibson has had thrown at them, I think I will take Gibson's side.

7. sandmangeck

sandmangeck

Jul 2, 2007
    Colorado
    I would like to meet someone that paid that much for a capacitor.

8. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    Ok cool, so what is Gibson's side in this one?

9. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Just to play devil's advocate, caps are cheap in general because factories are tooled up to produce them by the millions. If no one is making the caps in question any more, and if producing them requires not just a variant on an existing process but involves unique materials and construction methods, they have to be custom made from scratch in very small quantities to serve an extremely small market. In this case, the unit production cost could be orders of magnitude higher than that of mainstream caps.

Whether they actually affect your sound in any sort of significant way is, of course, another question entirely, but if the market is there, then you can't really blame them for throwing these caps out there to see if they sell.

10. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    SO this is a small time lottery ticket then? Throw out something that costs 50 cents and see if there are any dumbasses that will pay over 130 bucks and if so, screw them, they're too stupid to breathe or walk upright so they deserve it?:confused:

Its one thing to charge what you want for your guitars, but a capacitor?? I dunno, maybe it doesnt bother some of yall but it sure stinks to me. It just shows where their heads are at.

11. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

It's capitalism which you yanks seems so intent on spreading to the rest of the world.....

I bought some window clips for my Olds Alero from the GM dealership, small little plastic clips that cost maybe 5 cents to produce in the quantity they do (they use them on alero, grand am, grand prix)

Two clips were 86$, the parts guy couldn't even look me in the eye. Even he didn't know where they got these prices.

12. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    haha. We only spread capitalism where it benefits us. Everywhere else, *dismissive motion with hand*

Sounds like it was a better job saved for...duct tape!

13. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    As for the Gibson crap, bad for their rep regardless.

14. sevdog

sevdog

Mar 2, 2008
    ATX
    To all of you "defenders of capitalism" and Gibson in this case,

Snake oil salesmen used to get tarred, feathered, and run out of town...that's the kind of capitalism I'm for.

15. StrangerDanger

Jan 3, 2010
    The difference is that you can buy caps anywhere for less than a buck.

16. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Again, playing devil's advocate because they aren't here to defend themselves...

What I said in the part of my post that you did not choose to quote is that their unit production costs on extremely limited runs of something that must be handmade from hard to find materials could easily be 10 or 100 times that of a mass produced component. I don't know that to be the case, but OTOH you can't just say that the caps are worth 50 cents without knowing the back story.

Beyond that, caveat emptor. No one has a gun to their heads forcing them to buy these caps. I certainly wouldn't buy them, but if it's worth it to you (the general "you", not you in particular) and you can hear the difference, then I'll not stand in your way.

17. Gibson doesn't owe you a cheap capacitor.

Nobody tells you how much you charge for your junk on craigslist or ebay. They'll just buy from someone else if you ask too much.

18. SwagAttack

SwagAttack

Sep 14, 2011
    Bay Area, CA
    Seriously, I wouldn't be getting pissed off at Gibson for charging that much. I would get pissed of at myself for choosing to buy something that expensive when I know (and I am sure everyone who bought those caps knew) I can buy them cheaper somewhere else. Stop blaming a business for the consumers stupidity.

Edit: I remember I just bought like a pack of 15 for cheap from Stewmac. So why people felt like they need to purchase them for considerably more from Gibson is beyond me.

19. Steve

Steve

Aug 10, 2001
    On the scale of audiophile snake oil and asinine prices...that ain't nuthin'

20. michael_atw

michael_atw

Feb 28, 2009
    Jamestown, NY
    Yeah, as someone who doesn't really care for unfettered capitalism, this is the kind of stuff that is some real knee-slapping humor. It isn't Gibson's fault, it's stupid peoples' fault. Go out and educate them if it bugs you so much. My guess is, most are very educated about guitars but very ignorant about common sense.