Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

More bottom for small rig??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by scottlee, Oct 20, 2003.

1. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    I have a small setup for smallish venues. An old SWR SM400 running briged (400w) through an Eden 210XLT. Cabinet is about waiste to shoulder height.
    I had 2 gigs on the weekend. 1st was in a small room (private function about 100 ppl). I only had my rig as my monitor - it was not as though it wasn't loud enough - it just didnt have that bottom end power or beef (this is normal for me).
    Next night - larger venue - I had 2 foldback wedges with bass running through them as well as my rig. The difference was amazing - again it wasn't louder - but the best way I could describe it was more bottom end power - it helped me played more relaxed and fuller in my playing.
    My question - if I can get that from a small wedge - how do I add to my rig that so I get it all the time so I don't have to rely on the foldbacks.
    Is another 2X10 going to give me that bottom end power or is it just more volume of the same??

Info on band - drummer, guitar, bass, acoustic guitar - covers, pop etc. (moderate volume) My rig is always for my monitor - always have PA

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Another 210XLT would definitely help.

3. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
  4. I second the Auralex Gramma.

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    yup. I have that same cab. Pair it with another 2x10, or a 15 (sorry Munji) and it's plenty loud with plenty of beef.

6. Larzito

Larzito

Aug 1, 2000
    Dallas, Texas
    but the best way I could describe it was more bottom end power - it helped me played more relaxed and fuller in my playing.

I had the 210XLT...and a 210T. I liked the 210T better because I didn't have to play as hard to get the notes to come out right. The 210XLT likes to be pushed really hard before it opens up, and then it can be too loud. But the two together was pretty sweet.

A faily low cost option would be to add an Aguilar GS112 to the XLT. Turn the XLT on its side (the posts sound nice vertically BTW) and plop it on top of the Ag and they fit perfectly...pretty sweet portable rig.

Were the speakers in the wedges larger than 10"? I suspect they were. I think 10's are nice for tight punch, but adding a larger speaker opens up that smooth round part of the sound that you experienced with the addition of the wedges.

7. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Ha! I have actually been talking to Bass Central about prices on a GS112 plus shipment to Australia. I am nearly ready to make the purchase.
    Your completely right - I worked out the wedge had a 12 in it and I wanted something compact and there has been so much on the GS112 here on TB I decided to look into it.
    I wasn't sure about the size thing (big 210xlt on the small GS112), but I play with the eden vertical most times anyway so thats sweet that they will fit.
    The other advantage is if I get sick of lugging the 210xlt around and I love the aggie, I can sell the 210xlt easily here, get another new aggie from the US and not loose any money :)
    One of things I wasn't sure on was the volume of the GS112 under the xlt - I will be running my amp bridged so can't change the volume individually. Maybe the 210 will be too loud for the aggie? Have you actully played with this configuration and what were volumes like between the 2 cabs.

Cool! I am very keen about this potential configruation! - thanks for replying. :hyper:

Also thanks to Petabass (fellow Aussy) for all your advice on this.

8. Joe Smithberger

Joe Smithberger Supporting Member

Mar 8, 2002
    Canton, Ohio, USA
    I would second the notion of adding a smaller 112 cab. I know we're talking apples and oranges as far as frequency response but I have found that a 1x12 or even a 1x10 sitting on the floor with my SWR 210T set vertically on top makes a world of difference in the fullness of the sound. The extra speaker cone area and impedence drop help the most. However, a smaller cab to use as a speaker stand will get less boom than your 210 but will still couple to the floor and add a lot to your sound.

9. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    :D You're very welcome. I don't remember recommending you to ship stuff over from the USA. Have they discussed shipping costs yet?

Should be fine. The sensitivity specs are very similar (103dB Vs 102dB) so they should blend nicely.

10. scottlee

scottlee

Feb 17, 2003
    Hey Pete - No you didn't reconmend getting shipped from US. I have had plenty of gear shipped from US. I am still waiting for a price over here in Australia but the distributor doesn't have any GS112 and shipment won't be here for a while. Yes my quote from Bass Central included shipping - I will wait and see how it compares to our price over here - should be 300 hundred less from the US even with shipping and import taxes etc. I know the risks with warranty etc. so I just wait on the Aussy price before I make my decision.