1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

More experience with amplifiers

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ndrly, Sep 18, 2008.

1. So I tried out an Ashdown 500 amp in Billy Hyde, but this time I tried out the valve drive. It was incredible. However, I had a hard time getting a clean tone out of it. Plus, it was very loud even when the master volume was only up one quarter of the way. And you know what they say about the tone of amps at low volumes.

Guess I'll have to use DI in the studio if I'm using an Ashdown - it's too loud.

On another topic, the price of Ampeg has dropped. Call it sour grapes, but I have criticised Ampeg in the past, based primarily on the fact that they were like 5 grand here. Now the prices have dropped. The solid state SVT is now only 2 grand, whilst the all valve SVT classics are now 3 and a half grand.

So, I may try out an Ampeg if I get the chance. I may try out a 15" combo, or maybe even the classic "fridge rig".

And yes, if I end up in a band where the guitarists use Mesa/Boogie, I may use Mesa as well. Although as a guitarist, my taste in amplifiers is the same as my taste in comedy - I prefer British (Vox, Marshall) to American (Fender, Mesa/Boogie)!

2. Jim Carr

Jim Carr Dr. Jim Gold Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2006
    Denton, TX or Kailua, HI
    fEARful Kool-Aid dispensing liberal academic card-carrying union member Musicians Local 72-147
    You might want to read this: http://www.mi-pro.co.uk/news/29562/NAMM-SUMMER-SESSION-Ashdown-manufacturing-in-US