1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

More Jack than God

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PhilM13, Oct 16, 2004.

1. PhilM13

PhilM13

Oct 13, 2004
  2. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was watching a percussion instructional video that featured jack bruce, and dude, he was OWNIN'

3. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jack's 70s albums were reissued last year (inc. a couple of albums that were never released in the first place). The only one I have is 'Songs for a Tailor, which is rather good.

I haven't heard any of his more recent recordings, but he appeared on British TV about two years ago with a great band that included Bernie Worrell and Vernon Reid.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Post-Cream Bruce-
    I recall getting West, Bruce, & Laing's debut on Xmas...many years ago. I liked it enough to buy it on disc a few years ago. The title cut has Bruce goin' off.

I also recall getting Bruce's Out Of The Storm on my 17th or 18th birthday...again many years ago.

I picked up Question Of Time about 10 years ago.
    ...and some Bruce with Tony Williams stuff on Williams' Spectrum(issued about a montha fter Tony's passing).

All good stuff, IMO.
    Come to think of it, I have been wanting to get into some PRE-Cream Bruce(Graham Bond Organisation, Alexis Korner, etc). Suggestions,as always are welcome! ;)

BTW, anyone have Chris Welch's Cream: The Legendary Sixties Supergroup? Pg. 37 shows Bruce playing a P-bass?

5. morebass!

morebass! I'm all ears Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've never heard of Jack playing a 4-string fender. In Cream he played a Fender six-string (tuned like a guitar but an octave down) which he played until he got his Gibson. In the sleeve of one of his albums with Kip Hanrahan he's shown playing a Stingray but he is not the primary bassist on those albums - he's the singer!

There's tons of stuff on Jack on the web and on this site. His solo albums are many and most are excellent. I have about 75% of them. His instructional video is fun - he plays a few Cream songs. The guitarist does Clapton better than Clapton does!