More Jack than God

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by PhilM13, Oct 16, 2004.

1. PhilM13

Oct 13, 2004
  2. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    i was watching a percussion instructional video that featured jack bruce, and dude, he was OWNIN'
  3. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Jack's 70s albums were reissued last year (inc. a couple of albums that were never released in the first place). The only one I have is 'Songs for a Tailor, which is rather good.

I haven't heard any of his more recent recordings, but he appeared on British TV about two years ago with a great band that included Bernie Worrell and Vernon Reid.
  4. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Post-Cream Bruce-
    I recall getting West, Bruce, & Laing's debut on Xmas...many years ago. I liked it enough to buy it on disc a few years ago. The title cut has Bruce goin' off.

I also recall getting Bruce's Out Of The Storm on my 17th or 18th birthday...again many years ago.

I picked up Question Of Time about 10 years ago.
    ...and some Bruce with Tony Williams stuff on Williams' Spectrum(issued about a montha fter Tony's passing).

All good stuff, IMO.
    Come to think of it, I have been wanting to get into some PRE-Cream Bruce(Graham Bond Organisation, Alexis Korner, etc). Suggestions,as always are welcome! ;)

BTW, anyone have Chris Welch's Cream: The Legendary Sixties Supergroup? Pg. 37 shows Bruce playing a P-bass?
  5. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    I've never heard of Jack playing a 4-string fender. In Cream he played a Fender six-string (tuned like a guitar but an octave down) which he played until he got his Gibson. In the sleeve of one of his albums with Kip Hanrahan he's shown playing a Stingray but he is not the primary bassist on those albums - he's the singer!

There's tons of stuff on Jack on the web and on this site. His solo albums are many and most are excellent. I have about 75% of them. His instructional video is fun - he plays a few Cream songs. The guitarist does Clapton better than Clapton does!