1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

more Power???

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ksweetland, Jul 24, 2008.

1. ksweetland

ksweetland

Jul 19, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    Can i increase the wattage or power of my 50 watt tube amp??? Via power supply or power conditioner.

Any advice would be great thanks

2. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    What amp is it?

And neither of those will give you more power.

3. GabeN

GabeN

Feb 27, 2006
    Chugiak, AK
    No

4. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    No.

5. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Wishful thinking. 50 watt tube amp? Bet it's got nice tone, but you need a bigger amp.

6. ksweetland

ksweetland

Jul 19, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    It's a '71 Fender Bassman, and YES the tone is breath-taking i just wish i could get more beef out of it. So im guessing the consensus is NO, yea?

7. Nope. If it could be done, everyone would be doing it.

8. playibanez

playibanez

Apr 3, 2006
    U.S.
    If it has great tone just keep it around as a good practice amp and buy something bigger that can get you close to the tone that you like.

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Yep. The deal is there is no way to increase the power of any amp without rebuilding it completely. Actually there may be an exception in a few tube amps where different type power tubes (biased by a professional, with some other components changed to support the new type tubes as well) can have a little bit higher power. But even then, it's not a big difference. A power supply or power conditioner has absolutely nothing to do with increasing output wattage, they only affect the voltage going in.

What some people do is use a specific type of DI that is designed to be able to take the power section output (speaker output) of a tube amp and feed it into the input of an external power amp. That external power amp can be any kind, any wattage you can afford. Then the external power amp output would go to its own speaker cab, while the original output of your 50W amp would go to the other speaker cab you were already using with that amp.

It requires:
    -your amp
    -the speaker cab that works with that amp
    -special type DI
    -external power amp
    -new speaker cab for that amp

If that's too much hassle and equipment, you just have to buy a more powerful tube amp.

10. And that'll cost twice as much as a 100W amp. . .

11. ksweetland

ksweetland

Jul 19, 2008
    Cincinnati, OH
    It's a '71 Fender Bassman, and YES the tone is breath-taking i just wish i could get more beef out of it. So im guessing the consensus is NO, yea?

12. No. Nope. Non. Nyet. Nein. Fuggeddaboudid.

13. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021