1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Morley Power Wah Boost

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by burtonisalive, Apr 4, 2006.

1. I have recently acquired a Morley Power Wah Boost. I am looking for other people that own this vintage pedal. I have a couple of questions.
    1) It appears that the pedal is actually set up to be used in reverse when compared to a Dunlop Crybaby (of which I also own). Does anyone out there agree?
    2) This pedal is extremely powerful, the wah is amazing and the boost is simply awesome, but the power seems to overwhelm my Ampeg BA115. This is a 100 watt amp, and with it on, along with the boost, I cannot put my volume or gain up too high, unless I am using an overdrive pedal. Then I can raise the volume of the amp. What I am seeking is advice on what type of cab/head setup that will properly handle the power of this pedal. I have been looking into the Ampeg SVT-3 Pro head and either the Ampeg SVT 410HLF or the Ampeg SVT 610.

Advice please!

Josh

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    1. I've always felt Morley's and Dunlops are polar oppisites. Pretty widely accepted IMO.
    2. It's not that your amp isn't powerful enough, it's just that with the boost, you're amplifying your signal, making it more powerful and overdriving your preamp. Are you using the active pad button already? If not, try pushing it in when the wah is connected.

3. Active pad button? There is the boost button on the left of the pedal and the wah button on the right side. On the front is the toggle switch that turns the wah on.

Please clarify what you mean. I have only recently acquired this and don't have much experience with it. Thanks for your input.

4. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    He means the pad switch on your amp, for active basses/anything boosted a lot ;)

5. What do you mean by 'in reverse'?

6. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    As in not the same, somewhat opposite. The two just don't interact the same, but achieve the same effect.

7. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I own and use this pedal, so perhaps I can help.

The Dunlop uses a pot connected to the pedal to move the resonant peak frequency up and down the sound spectrum.

The Morley uses a photo-electric cell, and when light is exposed to it by movement a peice of felt like black cloth it moves the peak resonance frequency up and down the sound spectrum.

I beleive the boost gained can be up to 40-60 dB!

You have to be very careful- it WILL blow your speakers. this is the primary reason I placed my compressor in my rack.

It isn't a matter of the "right" cab/amp combo, for this much boost is capable of hurting almost any unprotected set up at high volumes.

8. Because I have the same amp, I can finally be of help in some way :smug:

Ok duder, so the BA115 has two inputs, and the one on the left should be marked "-15 dB." This is for active basses that would otherwise overdrive the preamp, like the Morely is now. Just plug the pedal in to that input, it'll help.

9. The pedal should also have a dial on the side that you can control the level of the boost so that it isnt too overwhelming. great pedal

10. Hey there the Morley power wah fuzz will give you the same tone without the volume increase, would you be interested in trading pedals?