most common bass repairs

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by myrick, Dec 7, 2004.

1. I went through an accidental neck decapitation and repair episode recently, and got to wondering, what are the most common things that send basses to the repair shop ?

I'm not talking about maintenence or adjustment or upgrades of bridges, etc, but real repairs owing to misuse, poor ageing, or accident.

For me, over the years I've experienced the recent decapitation, resulting from the scroll striking a tabletop in a fall off a flimsy stand, a crushed hole in a lower bout from the corner of a heavy framed picture which fell against the bass, and a broken bridge, also from a fall.

Hmmm, sounds like mine are all result from the fact that the bass is big, fragile and a challenge to store and move around safely. I've also had one or two seams open, but never had a crack as I've generally avoided older basses. I also once had a badly warped bridge, and also a had a bridge sink into the top due to over graduation or some other structural failure. With these two cases, I didn't repair myself, I just sold the basses on to someone else more willing to deal with it.

What do you all think are the most common problems we should try to prevent or avoid ?
  2. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I'm guessing cracks and/or seam pops.
  3. dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    I'd have to guess cracked bridges. It's just dieing to get chipped or broken as it pokes out from the top of the bass.
  4. Alexi David

Alexi David

May 15, 2003
    Proper storage of the bass (in regards to humidity, heat, etc.) should be maintained, which aids in avoiding seams opening and tops cracking. Check that your bridge is in the right place, unwarped.