1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most iconic hard rock/metal amp & speaker?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by agedhorse, Feb 28, 2019.

1. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I'm trying to get my head around this subject a little better since this isn't a genre I have a lot of on the road experience with. Of course the SVT would be a no-brainer, what other amps and speakers might qualify?

2. Clap Trap

Clap Trap

Jan 27, 2015
    Israel
    Fender Bassman...?

Bill Mather, Novarocker and Guiseppe like this.
  3. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    GK has had many offerings throughout the years (RB and RB-II series) as has Mesa (400, 400+). Of course, the genre is not limited to these offerings, but they were/are pivotal in shaping the low frequency soundscape for hard rock/metal (at least to my ears). That said, I’ve certainly deviated from the “norm” on a number of occasions. To date, my favorite amp I’ve owned was my MPulse 600 of which I’ve played some VERY hard rock.

4. lethal dose

lethal dose

Apr 10, 2016
    Regarding speakers, I’m a terrible person to tell you what commercially available cabinet/driver combinations would be “best”. Certainly, there are the standard offerings you see on hard rock stages all over the world, but I’m convinced that custom built cabs tuned to my liking and outfitted kappalite, deltalite, etc. drivers are what sound and perform best for my particular needs.

5. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I have seen metal bassists use all sorts of gear...Ampeg, Hartke, Ashdown, Markbass, Aggie...even Mesa ;) I don't believe metal has any special requirements for a bass amp. Some folks prefer what they prefer, but anything that works should get the job done.

6. Frankiebass59

Frankiebass59

Feb 1, 2008
    Kansas
    Depends on how far back you want to go. I've seen Glen Hughes in Deep Purple photos using Marshall Majors and the 4x15 cabinets. They were kinda loud....

7. agedhorse

agedhorse Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 12, 2006
    Davis, CA (USA)
    Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Benz
    I agree Jimmy, I'm just trying to understand what the hard rock & metal community considers the most iconic, what they think of when they think of hard rock & metal bass rigs.

8. alembicguy

alembicguy I operate the worlds largest heavey equipment Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Minnesota
    It’s a shot from the rear but it’s
    Mesa Boogie 400+
    Mesa Boogie 610 Roadready (2)
    That’s my iconic rock rig idea
    2266C0C7-784D-4C8E-A729-B23E9CAEC91B.

9. meatwad

meatwad

Apr 9, 2008
    Smallville, USA
    Gallien Krueger RB-series heads + an Ampeg fridge would be one, or a Mesa Boogie 400+ on Mesa Road Ready cabs.

10. bass40hz

bass40hz Cigar smoker, scotch drinker, American Patriot Supporting Member

Aug 13, 2014
    Sussex County, NJ
    no endorsements yet...Are you listening Spector, DR, GK, Line6?
    Gallien Krueger. GK all day...every day.
    Rock on.

11. Jim C

Jim C Is that what you meant to play or is this jazz? Supporting Member

Nov 29, 2008
    Bethesda, MD
    I don't go to heavy metal but I have seen photos of the backline.
    By far, the number 1 amp is the SVT head and cabinet.
    I think the RB1001 is the next most popular.
    The Aguilar db750/751 should be in the mix although I'm not quite sure what heavy metal is these days.
    Does that include punk, heavy rock, bands like Ozzy and Judas Priest etc., what about speed metal.
    I could see how a Mesa 400 or Ashdown could also qualify.

Am I the only one who has never seen a small Class D amp with heavy metal?

Edit: just as a point of reference, I was at Jazz fest last year and Aerosmith played as well as approximatel 8 stages x 5 bands x 4 day = 160.
    I saw approx 20 performances over 4 days and saw all the stages, most of which had backline provided amps.

Ampeg was all of them except for something like 4 GK's, 2 Aggies, and an older SWR.
    Not a great barometer but a point of reference.

12. 4stringmf

4stringmf

Mar 2, 2008
    San Francisco
    In all honesty Andy, I would have to say that it is ALL over the board when it comes to amp/cab combinations, that are most popular for rock/metal. I go to a lot of rock/ metal shows and I hardly ever see the same thing twice......... except for the only thing, that withstood the test of time, the SVT.

I have pondered that same question before...... and that is only one answer that I can come up with. FYI I run an M-Pulse 360 through a PH 4x12, with Myco tube overdrive (when I need grit). I certainly do have a tubey, metal grind with that combination.

I would look at it with this perspective..... guitar amps are made certainly more specific to a type of style/genre, where bass amps are not.

13. As a metal bassist, I use a Traynor YBA-200 with a GK 410. The other bassists I've played with usually had Ampeg or GK.

14. ThinCrappyTone

ThinCrappyTone Mostly harmless Supporting Member

Oct 1, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    I grew up on metal, but when I try to think of a truly iconic metal bass rig, I draw a blank. Iconic basses, guitars, guitar amps, guitar speakers, even pedals.... absolutely. But bass amps? Always seemed all over the place.

15. For Hard Rock and Metal, I'd have to go with GK 800RB. After the SVT, of course...

16. BeRad

BeRad

Mar 13, 2018
    Peavey?

17. The13thFret

The13thFret Supporting Member

Jan 6, 2019
    Sydney Australia
    Depends what you mean by iconic, what era, and at what level.
    In my neck of the woods 90's to early 2K you couldn't go to a club gig and not see Trace Elliot and Peavy.
    Arena gigs? all SVT baby. :)

chaak, DatRat510, No Treble and 3 others like this.
  18. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    I'll throw the iconic Orange amps (with matching cabs) into the fray, even if mostly for looks. Goes back to Black Sabbath as far as I know?

mattwear, rodl2005, Spectrum and 3 others like this.
  19. BasturdBlaster

BasturdBlaster

Feb 19, 2012
    Crandon WI
    I don't know why, but when I started playing in the mid 90s, I always wanted the SVT 4 Pro as I felt that it was the ultimate metal bass head. Nowadays, I agree with JimmyM in that most any rig can be a "metal" rig.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
    Raw N Low likes this.
  20. Frankie Fender

Frankie Fender Supporting Member

Noel Redding played through Sunn amps and cabs
    JPJ played an Acoustic 360 and 215 I believe
    Entwistle played Hiwatt back in the day
    Roger Glover got great tone from a Marshall bass head on the Machine Head album
    Those would be my guesses.

FWIW I played through a 74 SVT and NV610 and it is still my gold standard. If size and weight weren't an issue I would still be using it.

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019