1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Playable Bass?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Jhu32, Jan 16, 2017.

1. Jhu32

Jhu32

Dec 14, 2016
    The void
    In the world of basses, and just instruments in general, playability of an instrument is a major key to the musician. What is the best playing bass you have ever played/own(ed)?

Mr_O'B and pacojas like this.
  2. saltydude

saltydude

Aug 15, 2011
    boston CANADA
    Have to give it to the Schecter in my Avatar. It's beat to hell now and rarely gets played as I put it down a few years ago but the light weight combined with it's absolutely fantastic low action makes it the clear front runner in terms of playability. I own 9 basses.

3. ba55i5t

ba55i5t

May 24, 2006
    Peavey T40. But I've been told it weighs much more than other basses. I've also been told I weigh much more than other bassists too.

4. MrNylon

MrNylon "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

For my playing, the Fender USA Geddy Lee Jazz.

SiP3m7E.

5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    My main player is a '75 J body, '73:p neck bass which I've owned for over 30 years. A little heavy, but plays and sounds like a dream. But you might say I am a little accustomed to it.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2017
    pacojas and Farseer like this.
  6. BD Jones

BD Jones

Jul 22, 2016
    Texas
    My Ibanez basses are super comfortable to play. Light with thin necks. The same goes for my Fender Precision Lyte. But, I'd have to say my Warwick RB Starbass is the most comfortable. Neck is pretty thin, and being a 32" scale means fingers don't have to stretch as far. I just wish is was a little lighter.

TheMartianBassist likes this.
  7. image. My '86 Aria Black And Gold II is my best playing bass. It's also my least played. If that doesn't change soon I'll consider moving it out for a Ric or a T-Bird.

8. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Of the staggering number of basses I've owned, nothing plays quite like a Roscoe.

This one has been my #1 for a few years now, nothing has come close yet.

[​IMG]

Ballin'bass, Mr_O'B, ialma and 4 others like this.
  9. My EBMM stingray 5hh by far, if not that probably a lakland aj55 I played in some guitar shop last year or the frank bello esp sig

Ampslut, Ikkir and fourtet102 like this.
  10. 6q36kgy.

This one's fantastic.

byoung93888, Mr_O'B, 40Hz and 5 others like this.
  11. superdick2112

superdick2112 Mile High Bassist Supporting Member

Nov 20, 2010
    The Centennial State
    For me, its a tie between my USA Spector NS-4 and my CIJ Fender Geddy Lee Jazz.
    Very different feeling basses, but they both have that "almost plays itself" thing going on.

Ballin'bass and byoung93888 like this.
  12. The bass in my avatar. '57 CS P. I don't "love" the relic job but the feel of the back of the neck is incredible. Also doesn't hurt that it's under 8 lbs. plays like a dream. IMG_0984.JPG

nonohmic, Microcosm, Mr_O'B and 9 others like this.
  13. Mr_O'B

Mr_O'B

Feb 22, 2015
    My 2001 MIM Fender Deluxe j-bass that originally had Suhr era electronics.

The neck is slim and fast! It also has perfect weight and balance.

978fce31-0a38-495d-a5e4-8809be19cc4a_zpscurhtkyc.

14. Thumper

Thumper Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Syracuse Ut
    The best playing bass I've ever touched was a Dingwall ABI5 loaded with TI flats. It weighed 8.1 lbs, if it would have been a short scale I'd still own it. My SJ5XXX and SPJ5 Dingwalls may be as nice, but they aren't wearing TIs, just love the strings on them so no change til they die.

steve_rolfeca likes this.
  15. el_Bajo_Verde

el_Bajo_Verde

May 18, 2016
    USA
    An all-Koa Carvin AC50 fretless with tapewounds.

City likes this.
  16. Malak the Mad

Malak the Mad Over the River and through the Looking Glass Supporting Member

I absolutely love Aerodyne Jazz necks! And while I've been able to adapt to the sharper-edged forearm cut (FYI…it's a great way to teach you to keep your forearm up and off the body), I'm terribly happy with the Mighty Mite Jazz body I scored. 'Tis as lightweight as it is beautiful! So, I gotta go with my "Projekt Blue" parts-bass. :cool: :thumbsup:

DSCF0636_zpspo9znqp7.
    DSCF0638_zpsmt95z4pm.
    DSCF0642_zpsbhczfi0a.

EDIT: Upon further reflection, I feel the need to give a big ol' Honorable-Mention/Shout-Out to the Squier Classic Vibe Jazz. Every one I've encountered has been incredibly "playable", neck and body alike. And they sound pretty damn good too! If I found myself ever in need of an amazing bang-for-the-buck in a hurry, I'd snap one up in a heartbeat…doubly-so if it's a James Johnston-sig Jazz (basically, a CV-J in disguise)! :thumbsup:

17. Luke S Mouse

Luke S Mouse Guest

Jun 5, 2009
    My Musicman SUB which I've had for give or take 5 ish years at this point. I bought it I believe the end of my first semester in college and all and it's been sweat on, dealt with getting worn in via garage band practices in the middle of Texas summers.

I kind of think you kind of get accustomed to instruments as well, just how they feel and sound and where the notes are and all of that as well.

pudgychef likes this.
  18. kittywithabanjo

kittywithabanjo Supporting Member

Nov 26, 2014
    Coquitlam. BC
    My Fodera. 20161214_174034.

Mr_O'B and rmayer like this.
  19. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Best I've tried was a Dingwall Super J with P/J pickups. It played beautifully, and I got used to the fanned frets in about 20 seconds.

Best I've owned was a 2006 G&L L-1500 with the #8 neck (1.5" nut, 12" radius). I ended up selling it, and about a year later saw a guy hang it up on the wall at GC after testing it, who said, "That's the best playing bass I've ever tried." (I know it was mine because it had the hex key saddle adjustment screws I installed.) It really was spectacular in that respect. I now have two G&L's with the #8 neck and they both have excellent playability that's close to that L-1500, but not quite there.

Kubicki Fan likes this.
  20. Thumb n Fingers

Thumb n Fingers

Dec 15, 2016
    Guild Pilots from the mid 80's to early 90's, the pre-Fender ones. Fast, slim neck, light weight, tight string spacing, just ergonomically correct (for me at least). I still have one, but it doesn't get used that much now. The original J pickup and pot died and I replaced them... but not happy with the replacements. But I've got reincarnation plans for it still. Going to drop new pickups like the originals back in it.