1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Most Powerful Pickups

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MEKer, May 9, 2010.

1. MEKer

MEKer Supporting member

May 30, 2006
    Opinions?

In simply terms of deliverable "power" to the amp which are

(1) the most "powerful" actives pups?
    (2) the most "powerful" passive pups?

And why do you say so?

I suppose a good, solid luthier would have some respectable input as well.

2. spaz21387

spaz21387

Feb 25, 2008
    Portland oregon
    delanos for passive. i love my passive delanos in my j bass sounds big and very stingray like

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Well, the hottest passive pups I've run across personally were in an older Yamaha BB bass, but the hottest ones I've read of are in the old G&L 1000 series.

4. Marton

Marton

Sep 20, 2005
    Quebec
    I think the Seymour Duncan Quarter are pretty hot for passive pickups.

5. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Most powerful I've tried is the G&L MFD split-coil in my SB-2. After that, it's close between the MFD humbucker and the DiMarzio Model P.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Well, of course I haven't tried them all, but I agree that most of the G&L's are pretty hot/loud.

7. Tim Skaggs

Tim Skaggs

Sep 28, 2002
    The hottest passive pu I've ever seen / heard are the Alumitone bass bars. The one I have has about the same output as my active Carvin LB75 with bass, treble, and mid tone controls wide open. I've only got one of them that I put in the neck position of my '93 T-Bird. I moved it to the bridge position after the first gig. It sounds absolutely fantastic in the bridge position. It has the typical honk of a soloed bridge pu, but still has tons of low end. That's why I took it out of the neck position; It was overpowering there.

8. Hottest pickups Ive used are the pickups in the Dean 2A ML. I couldn't run that thing full volume into any amp. My spector has less output than the dean with the volume on half.

9. Rumblefisher

Rumblefisher

Aug 22, 2007
    Astoria, NY
  10. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    G&L MFD's in my experience.

11. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    ChiSonics are hot!

12. thetawaves

thetawaves

Dec 29, 2006
    Didn't Maverick do some, frankly, inanely overpowered actives?

Source: friend had his Ashdown pre-amp blow as a result.

13. Robo Bass

Robo Bass

Feb 20, 2010
    Dayton, Ohio
    I like Barolini. They give me the growl when I want it, they also give me the silky smooth jazzy sound when I need it. I love my Elrick Bass.

14. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    pickups don't "deliver" power to the amp, if anything they "demand" power from the amp the stronger the signal they have.

it's like thinking that if you did exercises to make your gas pedal foot really strong you could get more horsepower out of your car.

any average bass pickup will have enough output to drive any average bass amp into full distortion if it's turned up loud enough.

15. +1
    Delano for the win

16. the pickup in my Aria Probass II CSB-300 is def. the hottest pickup that i've played. probably about 3-4 times hotter than the pickups in my jazz.