Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most transparent parametric EQ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Melvin7822, Jan 11, 2005.

1. Melvin7822

Melvin7822 Supporting Member

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I've been wanting to use a parametric EQ with my Alembic for some time now. I used to have a Rane PE-17, but in bypass it sucked some of my tone out. What's the cleanest, most transparent, 1 rack space parametric EQ that's most easily obtainable?

2. Tritone

Tritone Supporting Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Santee, America
    Raven Labs True Blue EQ, and I think Max Valentino has one for sale!

3. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, I wouldn't have the money for one of those right away. Is there anything else out there? Possibly something not taller than 1-rack space?

4. Passinwind

Passinwind I Know Nothing Supporting Member

When you used the Rane, was it in a line level EFX loop, or were you plugging the bass straight into the EQ?

I have a few different parametrics, but I've never had any reason to use the bypass mode much, except during setup. The ones I own are a couple of Ashlys and a Symetrix, which both sound fine for their price point. You can PM me if you want to deal. I had the Symetrix listed in the classifieds here for a long while, it might still be buried in the back somewhere.

5. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Being that the Alembic's loop is instrument level I ran the Rane after the Alembic. Whether it's in bypass or not is not the issue. On or off, my bass sounded more brilliant when the signal was not going through the Rane.

6. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    It's meant for more as a tone shaper. It wouldn't exactly be easy to EQ for a room, now would it.

7. Passinwind

Gotcha, that's what I'd do too in that case. I doubt that either of my EQs would prove much different, but I could easily be wrong. Did you ever try the EFX loop just to see what happened? Is it a series loop?

The Speck parametric comes up pretty frequently as a step up from Rane, Ashly, and Symetrix, which are generally considered to be roughly equal. I like the feature set of the Ashly best of those three, but the Symetrix sounds just as good IMHO. The Speck costs roughly twice as much, naturally. :cool:

8. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

tc electronic 1140, four bands, fully parametric, transparent and quiet:
    [​IMG]

According to the tc website it has been discontinued, but you might still be able to find one.

9. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Yeah, I tried it in the loop the first time and received the same result, and yes it is a series loop.

10. Passinwind

Hmmm, sounds like time to throw some money at the problem! Best of luck.

11. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    I can't find a TC 1140 or a Raven Labs True Blue, but what I did manage to find was the D-Tar Equinox. It looks very similar to the True Blue. Check it out. D-Tar Equinox

Has anyone used one of these or even heard about them?

12. andruca

andruca

Mar 31, 2004
    Madrid (Spain)
    I know you're talking a completely different league here, but I recently bought the Behringer PEQ2200 Ultra-Q Pro (5 band fully parametric) and it does the work perfectly, not colouring sound, but doing just what it has to do (very unforgiving if you don't have a clear concept on how to use parametric EQ properly -I'm still learning new tips on how to use it every day, used to be a "graphic" guy-). Believe me, I use a Stingray 5 (and you instantly notice when a Stingray is "coloured") and it's nice. Cheap gear, (yes, 54 EUR) but functional!

ANDRUCA

13. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Unfortunately, that particular Behringer parametric is not available in the US.

14. Melvin7822

May 11, 2004
    Broomfield, CO
    Any others? Anybody experience the D-Tar Equinox?