1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

most used bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lewislngvw, Apr 6, 2009.

1. lewislngvw

lewislngvw

Aug 16, 2005
    longview,texas
    i recently went to a concert with 4 groups performing.....3 of the bass players used fender basses....just curious as to how many players use them that play in big arenas.....the tone that they all had was great....but of course the sound system was pretty awesome too....

2. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Started drinking early today?

3. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Dude, your fly is down.:meh:

4. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Hmmm,...a Fender bass you say. Interesting.

5. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    No pics, no basses.

I say your making it up. Give us proof. I never heard of them. :D

6. They must be saving up for something better

7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse Supporting Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    What is this "Fender Bass" you speak of ? Never heard of 'em.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    Wow, why are you guys so nasty? Seriously the guy is just asking a sincere question.

Lighten up already. :(

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    1) He's asking how many bassists play Fender basses in arena settings. The answer is "a huge majority of them".

2) He seems surprised that Fender basses are used much--notwithstanding that they have been the industry standard worldwide for fifty years.

3) He's indicating that the tone may have been great because the sound system was great, but that's silly because (a) arena sound systems uniformly sound terrible; and (b) if the sound system was really good then it would be more transparent, having less of an effect on the tone of the bass.

4) This is in the "Amps" forum.

10. Metropolis_488

Metropolis_488 Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2006
    Central Virginia
    +1
    I hardly ever post anymore because of this type of attitude.
    If someone thinks a post is redundant, trite or beneath them somehow, why can't they just leave it alone?:rollno:

11. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Here I thought it was all "good clean fun". I didn't see anything "nasty" at all. Nobody called him names or anything.

As for his question, it can't be answered accurately. How many bass players that play big arenas use Fender basses ? Impossible to tell. A lot, but he most likely already knew that.

12. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Why must people always assume there's something "sinister" involved if people post a comedic reply ?

Nobody said anything bad about the OP at all.

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    +1 Good clean fun, as opposed to the criticism offered on the good natured comedic replies. I, for one, don't believe it's prudent or neccessary to be harsh or rude to anyone on an open forum, such as this. However, if something is funny, roll with it.

14. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA
    Here's your answer...
    Asking a sincere question is all good, but make the effort to put it in the right place and it'll get taken a little more seriously.

15. Sundogue

Sundogue

Apr 26, 2001
    Wausau, WI
    What's nasty about any of our replies?

If he said he was driving down the street and saw that a lot of people were driving GM's or Fords or Chryslers, wouldn't we wonder why he asked that?

Wouldn't we also wonder if he had asked it in a motorcycle forum?

If anything we are the ones ones who were lightening it up and you had to come in and get all nasty with us.

Lighten up already! ;):D

16. I'm with him on this question, I used to hate fenders n not everyone uses them. Love my Epiphone Rivoli!

In answer to the question...
    I now play a 1962 vintage jazz with the stacked pot's, Though i am starting to get rather fond of the musicman sterling! Hopefully, i shall have one by time the festivals start and thats what i'll be playing!

So yeah... I'm part of that fender club!

17. More often than not, if you see a bass player on tv, on stage, on a billboard, anywhere at all, they are holding/playing a Fender or a bass that looks pretty close to one. (Sadowsky, G&L, Lakland, etc)

18. Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I think a big part of why so many players use Jazz or Precision Basses is because of how they sit in the mix, and how well they fill up the low end part of the spectrum. Some basses you have to EQ like crazy to make sound good in the mix (and some basses just WON'T sound good no matter what), but Jazz and P Basses are generally very easy to get a great "band sound" with. Same goes for in the studio. Engineers look at you funny if you bring anything but a Fender in. Lots of basses can get great tones, but Fender makes getting great "in the mix" tones easy.

Just my opinion formed from thousands of live gigs and countless studio hours, and I'm sure some won't agree - but I'm ok with that. :D

19. jza57

jza57 Supporting Member

OK Mr. Moderator , time to jump in !!

20. It's because it was pretty much the only thing worth playing from the beginning that the entire music industry has been built around it. Soundmen know how to make a Fender sound good on stage, recording engineers know how to make a Fender sound good on a CD, players know they will be comfortable playing what everyone else does and know that no matter what they will "look the part". It is essentially impossible to go wrong with a Fender in ANY situation ANY bassist will ever face unless they require a double bass.