Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Most versatile amp/combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I play a variety of music, like a lot of the guys here and I am presently playing Mesa. I am very pleased with Mesa and I am able to get a wide variety of tones from it. There are a lot of brands that I have never been able to try or have even heard for that matter (Epiphani, Aguilar etc). Which do you guys/gals find to be the most versatile?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, if you have a Mesa Boogie Scout, you are pretty well set. However, one of the EA combos would be even more flexible. Of course, if you are talking separate amp & speaker combination, then you have a lot more options. Personally, on the head side, I like the iAMPs, the Thunderfunk, and the Walkabout. For cabs, I find EA and Accugroove to be the most flexible, as they are very uncolored and accurate, hence allowing you greater freedom to tweak to your tonal desire (even though I like them prett un-eq'd, myself). Epifani and Bergantino cabs are only slightly more colored, and will also allow a good deal of flexibility. While I have not tried them myself, ACME and Schroeder cabs also get high marks in the flexibility department.

Good luck, Tom.