1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most versatile amp/combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Humblerumble, Aug 17, 2004.

1. Humblerumble

Humblerumble

Feb 22, 2004
    VA.
    I play a variety of music, like a lot of the guys here and I am presently playing Mesa. I am very pleased with Mesa and I am able to get a wide variety of tones from it. There are a lot of brands that I have never been able to try or have even heard for that matter (Epiphani, Aguilar etc). Which do you guys/gals find to be the most versatile?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Well, if you have a Mesa Boogie Scout, you are pretty well set. However, one of the EA combos would be even more flexible. Of course, if you are talking separate amp & speaker combination, then you have a lot more options. Personally, on the head side, I like the iAMPs, the Thunderfunk, and the Walkabout. For cabs, I find EA and Accugroove to be the most flexible, as they are very uncolored and accurate, hence allowing you greater freedom to tweak to your tonal desire (even though I like them prett un-eq'd, myself). Epifani and Bergantino cabs are only slightly more colored, and will also allow a good deal of flexibility. While I have not tried them myself, ACME and Schroeder cabs also get high marks in the flexibility department.

Good luck, Tom.