1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Most Versitile Mutli Effects Pedal Ever

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jasiu913, Aug 15, 2012.

1. I play a range of music from Bootsy's stuff to Jamiroquai to Foster the People and I'm looking for a multi effects that gives me authentic fuzz, distortion, and other great old school sounds. I seem to remember either DOD or Digitech making a great little unit that was red with the pedal on the right hand side, was pretty compact for what it did (even some pitch shifting?) and had some great sounds for the time. Does anyone remember a pedal like that? And can anyone suggest a pedal that's made now that can give me all that, and even new quality stuff to mess around with? Thanks.

2. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    ... yeah aren't we all

3. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    What's your actual budget?

4. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN"

Oct 11, 2009
    MEXICANADAMERICA
    (sub'd)

5. Thurb

Thurb

Jun 19, 2012
    I watched this last night:

6. Kobaia

Kobaia

Oct 29, 2005
    Denton TX
    Endorsing Artist: Aguilar Amp Gruv Gear and Mono Cases
    i would say the VB-99 would probably trump the Boss pedal. if you're going for EVER OF ALL TIME

7. I would advise against the older Digitech models... quality issues abound along with poorer audio processing compared to today's units. As for the newer crop of Digitech effects like the BP355... it's basically the guitar units with bass cabs tossed in instead of guitar cabs, cheesy move imo. Line 6 has given up on bass lately too which is quite sad.

I've tried many multis over the years and I'm pretty happy with my Zoom B3 atm. Sure, you only get to use 3 effects at a time (hopefully 6 soon once they decide to patch it) but the sounds are pretty much dead on AND you can reorder the effects how ever you want. Many have already compared it to the m9 and other multi effects and the sound quality is similar or better. Stick a od/fuzz in front of it and you have quite a bit of versatility in a tiny box. It's a tremendous value.

The only other mutli effect worth looking into (and it's red!) may be a Korg ToneWorks AX3000B. I only had mine for a short while and it was a mixed bag but it had some nice sounds and may be a little more of what you're looking for. No longer in production but you can find them around the bay and such for a reasonable price.

8. Boss ME-50b. Worked great for me until I sold it.

9. Crystalman85

Crystalman85

Nov 30, 2008
    Chicago, Il.
    The zoom b3 and the zoom b9.1ut seems pretty versatile to me. I plan to buy a zoom b3 sometime soon.

10. Definately the VB-99. I really dig mine. It is such a crisp sounding unit. 2 effects chains available for each patch, order of effects can be changed, lots of polyphonic effects. I was surprised by some of the Distortion sounds, pretty good. I have yet to hear fuzz that I like, but I don't try too hard because I am kind of a Fuzz Snob and use stand alones still.
    The synths sounds are really good. Plus the modeling is really good.
    If AxeFX added some more bass specific stuff, it would rate a lot higher with me, to expensive to not be more bass-centric.

I have had a Zoom B3 and liked it. For the price, I would say that it is great. Of course it is isn't the best.

No multi is going to nail every sound for everyone. The VB-99 nails WAY more sounds than any other multi (and it does so much more). The worst part is that to really have everything that someone playing live would want, total package is $2000 new.

11. Hey guys, thanks for all the replies I really appreciate it. The VB-99, even though it's got some price tag, is pretty tempting. But it looks as if it would send me off in a direction I'm not looking to go...for now. The Boss GT-10B link that Thurb sent me looks intriguing and I'm wondering what the big difference would be between that and the ME-50. I've heard someone use the ME-50 and he sounded great, plus he was playing some of the same stuff I do. Gonna have to get in the stores and start playin' around. I'll keep a look out for future replies and guidance....thanks again!!

12. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    Zoom try b3 really more versatile, with the display of the pedal it is so much easier to create patches

13. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Just remember JimmyM's Law Of The Multi:

---3 or 4 effects will be good

---3 or 4 will be usable but not great

---The rest will suck

14. bigswifty1

bigswifty1

Dec 8, 2011
    I'd say if you grabbed a random assortment of dedicated stomp boxes you'd get the same suckage ratio

15. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    Yeah, but you can replace the pedals that suck with ones that don't. You are stuck with a multi-effect.

16. MoeTown1986

MoeTown1986 Supporting Member

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    I use a digitech bp355 as my DI live. Use the amp models and cabs to get a bunch of different great tones out of it. All modulation effects work great on it too, but when it comes to overdrives, distortions and fuzz... Put stomp boxes in front of the bp355. The ones provided just don't bite.

17. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    A lot of folks use a combination of singles and multis. The multi covers a lot of ground and the singles nail the essentials.

18. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Yup!

19. MoeTown1986

Sep 14, 2010
    SoMD (Mechanicsville)
    Another thing. The noise gate and compression alone on the BP make it worth the money.

20. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    I was a long-time GT-6B user and just recently got a GT-10B. I think they are both pretty powerful, and have been happy with both, though as my ear becomes more trained, I understand why people want specialized pedals the more a specific effect becomes important to them.