movie industry gamechanger

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Low8, Dec 3, 2020.

1. Low8

Low8 Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2014
    This is huge news. Major motion pictures released directly to home-viewing methods.

All the flicks mentioned will most likely never turn a profit vs. the money that was spent to make them. And it's probably going to change the movie-making game for the rest of our lives. Pirates are rejoicing.

2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    If the movies don’t turn a profit it’ll be a short lived experiment. The movie industry likes money. I think the movie theater business is irrevocably changed. I’m not sure the movie making business is gonna be all that different.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
    The Owl, MattZilla, dwm74 and 2 others like this.
  3. kohanmike

kohanmike Gold Supporting Member

Little by little we are going to be charged more and more to view movies, and don't be surprised when they will not only play commercials before and after, but during the movie. TV shows are already flashing commercials during the shows, which is moving to showing them continuously instead of going away after a bit. They believe that if ads can be strewn all over a web page, that can be done during shows too.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  4. OldDog52

OldDog52 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    I never actually learned to play very well
    This is possibly a complete game-changer for how movies are released. Theater owners and movie studios have argued for years over the need for an exclusive theatrical window before movies go to streaming or DVD/Blu-ray. That window of exclusivity has gotten shorter and shorter. Now COVID has speeded up the upending of the industry.

Major new movies will *never* be interrupted by commercials. There may be a pre-show similar to how theaters do it, but there's no way in heck that anyone paying to see a brand new movie on HBO Max or other similar platform will tolerate commercials in the middle of the movie. I don't see that line being crossed.

Of course they could have 2-tier pricing, with lower pricing including commercials. But I just don't see this happening for brand new movies. I for one do NOT want to see Dune or any of the other mentioned movies being interrupted by commercials. No. If they do that, I'm out.

5. electracoyote

electracoyote Supporting Member

I heard this earlier in the year, and was glad to stream The Invisible Man for around $19.99. Three of us watched it, so money well-spent. A couple of other major releases were available, I wasn't interested in them, and then just as suddenly the experiment ended. I thought maybe they would continue the new model, but it looks like I'll have to wait for the new Bond, Wonder Woman, and Black Widow movies among others, and possibly a good long time at that.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2020
  6. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    The pricing issue seems very problematic. Will 1 or 2 people pay $20+ to stream the movie? OTOH, if 6 people are viewing, the streaming option will be more attractive.

TOOL460002 likes this.
  7. OldDog52

Jan 1, 2011
    Pacific Northwest
    Ok, this is interesting. The HBO Max site says all these new Warner Bros movies are included with a subscription to HBO Max. They’re doing a special of $69.99 for six months, then it’s $14.99/mo. That changes the equation completely.

https://www.hbomax.com/

INTRODUCING SAME DAY PREMIERES

Stream new movies the exact same day as theaters at no extra cost to subscribers. Premiering throughout 2021.

8. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    This line reminds me of Jack Valenti claiming that piracy via VHS was killing the movie industry... at a time when VHS sales provided 75% of MPAA members' revenue.

As iTunes proved, if you provide what the customers want in a convenient way at a price they're willing to pay, the impact of piracy on sales stats drops to the noise-floor.

Some people will do it for the sake of being naughty and "sticking it to the man," and there's always that contingent who feel entitled to the whole world for free, but yer average consumer will actually pay the fee and watch the movies.

9. friskinator

friskinator Supporting Member

Apr 5, 2007
    Georgia
    IMO, the pandemic was the last nail in the coffin of the movie theater business. I don't see it ever coming back to what it once was. There will be a lot of multiplexes sitting empty worldwide. Unfortunate for the thousands of workers formerly employed, but this seems to be where we're heading.

For me, I'm good with watching on my 65" 4K TV with a kickass soundbar. The theater "experience" is now a relic from my past that I don't miss.

DirtDog, MattZilla, marchone and 4 others like this.
  10. Wow.

There might not be a Fast and Furious 10.

Tragic.

GregC, Passinwind, petrus61 and 4 others like this.
  11. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    LOL :roflmao:

12. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I hope the Matrix 4 doesn’t suck. I love those movies. If it’s at least as good as the worst of them then it’ll be great.

MattZilla and Reedt2000 like this.
  13. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    I really hope it's a return to the quality of the first one.

kohanmike likes this.
  14. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I like the way the Wachowskis think, even though their ideas aren’t always well executed. I’d like to see why Neo is back. Him resurrecting for some reason is always a possibility because of who he is. I wonder if it’ll be because the machines reneged on the deal with humanity or if the machines and humanity are teaming up against some new enemy. I’m excited to see what they come up with.

MattZilla, Winslow and equill like this.
  15. equill

equill

Nov 25, 2010
    Madrid
    Could be fun if they came through on the foreshadowing of him becoming a new Merovingian.

16. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    Neo becoming the Merovingian? What foreshadowing?

17. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    The 3rd one was aweful imo.
    I was in the theater praying the @^#$*# movie would end.

18. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    It was the weakest of the three but I still like it. I like world building. I like the details of a fictional universe. It’s interesting to me. I watch and read speculative fiction pretty much exclusively. I’m very uninterested in stories about regular people doing regular things in a regular world. Probably says something about my psychology, but it is what it is. And the world building in the matrix trilogy is really interesting to me. I really enjoyed Jupiter Ascending for the same reason, even though that movie is a dumpster fire.

19. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I think I was most peeved at the fact the trilogy ended with the worst of them.
    I get the fact it shows you more about the world they created in the flicks, but the story for me just doesn't cut it.
    So many plot holes and quick tying of loose ends.
    Anyways, maybe the 4th one will redeem the matrix for me.

20. 48thStreetCustom

48thStreetCustom

Nov 30, 2005
    Colorado
    I don't think they have much of a choice. AMC is on the verge of bankruptcy. There's probably a lot behind the scenes that we don't know about (no pun intended).

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021