Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

MTD 535 vs Sadowsky Modern 24

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by simongpaez, Feb 13, 2006.

1. What are your comments on this one? Suggestions? advise?

I have a 535 the only issue I can think of is the 35" scale I am more used to the 34" Other than that everytging is ok.In the other hand I haven't played basses more comfortable than Sad's.

Please advise!!!:help:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Two fantastic instruments, but rather different personalities. I think of my MTD's as supreme clarity and an almost pristine sonic presentation. My Sadowsky 24F 5-string is a bit thicker sounding, but still very articulate. It is more full and punchy than the 535, and the MTD is more snappy and crisp. Though to be honest, my chambered 535 is probably even "bigger" sounding than my Sadowsky, though I don't know if this would be the case with a "regular" 535. The Sadowsky has more of a midrange presence, though.

Those are two great basses to choose from, though.

Tom.

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    i don,y know but some day i have my own MTD 535,my dream bass or at least a Tobias pre Gibson.

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

The Sadowsky 24 fret 5 is a Huge Tone monster with a never ending bottom end , tons of clarity. Sadowsky Rocks ! :hyper: :bassist:

5. cheezewiz

cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Having played both of Tom's basses he mentioned, I'd agree with his assesment. Both fabulous basses, but for ME, I'd take the Sadowsky.

6. Dan Knowlton

Dan Knowlton Out of my mind, back in 5 minutes! Supporting Member

I have both and can't decide. Tom's assessment is pretty good - they are different but both sound GREAT!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

See, why I can't decide?

Dan K.

7. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Ive owned both and no longer own either. LOL

My MTD was ash body, maple top, wenge neck and board. Usual Bart pickups and pre. I loved the playability, look, feel. Wasnt too hip on the tone. Found overly clacky and bright. New strings installed sounded horrible. Was too bright.

Ive owned 2 Sad 24 5's

Liked em but again not a big fan on the tone. I guess bottom line is I love jazz basses and the tone you get from one.

Try to play both and make up your own mind. Both are high quality, built great, great cust service, etc

Rob

8. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I lik the MTD better and that one is a beauty!

9. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Supporting Member

Both are great instruments. IMO, you can't go wrong either way. I prefer the sleek'n'sexy 24F for looks, but I personally would choose the MTD 535.

Reason #1: the pickups on the standard dual-bucker 24F are closer to the bridge than those on the 535. If you want more growl, then the standard 24F is the way to go. But me, I prefer having a true middle pickup rather than both of 'em so close to the bridge.

Reason #2: the Sadowsky neck is wonderful, but the asymmetrical neck profile on the 535 is the comfiest I've ever played, bar none.

Note: I've seen a few Sadowsky 24 fretters with JJ and PJ pups in the Fender locations. Having that option cancels my issue #1 with the 24F. If I ever got a 24F, I'd order PJ.

10. Fuzzbass

Rob, do you think this is because of pickup placement of the dual buckers? Have you owned or tried a 24F with JJ pickups (I believe Nino Valenti owns one)?

Excellent comment. [​IMG]

11. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea. Pickup placement has everything to do with it. I have a Sadowsky JJ5. Love it!!

http://www.sadowsky.com/stock/view/3982.html

Thats my bass in the link

Nino does have a 24 fret jj. Very, very nice. He threw around the idea of selling it to me a few months ago and then pulled the rug out from under me! LOL Awesome bass. My kinda tone.

My tone isnt everyones tone. Gotta try them for yourself. Just my opinion, of course.

Rob

12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Rob Actually played mine a while back.

I played Dave Wilson's and Mike Dimin's 535 at the last NYC GTG and it was awesome. Made me GAS for one for almost a month. LOL
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

13. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Mike D's MTD's rule. He lives close to me and helped me with my EA gear. He'd be a good guy to contact if you need some more advice on MTD's. Keep in mind he isnt your cookie cutter bassist. He plays tap and chords and his strings are extremely light!!!

Rob

14. Fuzzbass

Above I chose 535 over 24F.

In the interest of full disclosure, I should add here that I sold my MTD 535 to finance my Sadowsky P5! That was the right move for me, because my ears and eyes prefer the P5.

My hands still (somewhat) prefer the 535 neck, though. I'm never getting rid of my P5, but I hope to own another 535 someday.

Obviously the best answer to any MTD vs. Sadowsky question is "both"! Heck, a few of each, while we're at it. But that's way too expensive for most of us. :(

15. bikeplate

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea, Fuzz. I owned both at the same time a while back and now own neither. I would love to have both back but I'm not a wealthy guy and need basses that are perfect for my ears. Both were real close, but not perfect for me. They might be perfect for the guy who started the thread, though.

Try em both. Great pieces

Rob

16. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Crap, Dan, if you ever decide to sell either of those beauties, please drop me a line! Yeah, like that will happen. :rollno:

Those two basses are among the very hawtest versions of each that I have seen! :D

Tom.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I agree! :p

18. groovit

groovit

Oct 12, 2004
    New Hampsha
    Never gottten a chance to play a Sad, but the few times that I've played a 535 (Chris A's, actually) I loved it. Practically played itself. Makes you wonder why you can't play like that on other basses, :cool:

19. pickles

pickles Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    You need to get one of those MTD P5s!

20. Vic

Vic There's more music in the nuance than the notes. Gold Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Central Illinois
    Staff, Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes I can. Wow, dude. Sweet. Redwood/wenge/wenge on the MTD, right? :)

On the thread, I haven't played a modern, but would like the chance someday. However, I have a couple nice MTD's and I can't imagine a more versatile bass. If the crisp high end is a bit much, just roll off the treble and it's super tame, but sill has a nice ring that comes thru. Biting but full bridge tone, full earthy neck tone, serious funky scoop blended, it's all guuuud. :)