MTD Norm Stockton Vs. Sadowsky NYC

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by otto B, Dec 1, 2015.

1. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    I am looking for my second bass, but I am in the lookout for either a MTD Norm Stockton or a Sadowsky NYC 5-24 with JJs What do you all recommend. I play different types of music at my Church, however I like a bass that cuts nicely.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  2. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    There will not be a lot of people who have played a Norm Stockton MTD. They are pretty rare. The best thing to is to check out Norm Stockton videos. Sadowskys are relatively common a certain set of bassists. I am a Sadowsky fan. I love their necks and tone. The Jazzes are a great example of active Jazz tone. The Sadowsky modern is a nice take on the Ken Smith sort of vibe.

Oldschool94 likes this.
  3. Ace Of Bass

Ace Of Bass A Rooster Illusion

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Your second bass...?..really...?..could've sworn you had both before and sold them off...anyways, the typical answer of "either one will do the job nicely" applies here..depends on your preference...I would pick an MTD (mine is my "church bass"), but not the Stockton version...not a fan of the specs...but I'm sure it's just as comfy...

4. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    +1 on checking out the Sadowsky modern...that Stockton is super versatile though...wish I could choose my specs for that...

5. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas

I did own a MTD NS at one point but only for an hour before I return it back to the store, and I did had a NYC 5-24 with JJs for just for a few days. however I never got to test them right. I want to get some feedback from players that have own for sometime now the MTD NS and the Sadowsky NYC 5-24 with soap bars.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  6. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    I see...yeah you're probably talking about maybe three or four guys in the entire forum that had those particular two basses...like Cheese said, the Stockton is pretty rare....I do know someone who owns a Stockton now and had a Sadowsky...don't remember if it had soapbars though...I can ask...

7. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Why is this (never getting a chance to test them right)..?...what made you take it back to the store after only an hour..?.When you're spending this kind of money for these kinds of instruments I would think one would want to really take their time and be pretty sure about this kind of investment.....I gather you'd have to get the bass sent to you and wouldn't have a chance to try it first...I guess if I were you, considering that you've played an actual NS and have played a NYC 5 and are kinda familiar with the feel of both instruments I would find high quality examples of each, hopefully solo and in some kind of mix, on YouTube....they're both pretty consistently made basses and finding a quality sound sample could help you out big time in case this thread plummets because you're looking for a pretty rare bird (someone who has extensively owned and played both)....

GregC and RichSnyder like this.
  8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

Another sound is in your hands clip. Gouche may as well be playing his 635.

9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

This guy does good reviews.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    31HZ, ebozzz, bassomane and 3 others like this.
  10. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    That is a really impressive bass. Too bad the MSRP $8,200.:cool:

MobileHolmes and ThatsYourName? like this.
  11. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Yeah I know...for that price I definitely need to be able to pick my own specs....

kjones likes this.
  12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    "MTD; Sadowsky with soaps, cuts nicely"

Yeah; that's not a thing, for me, in my experience.
    Too soft, too pillowy, not enough round wound in your face midrange, for me.
    While I haven't had those two specific models, I've had soap bar loaded MTD's and Sadowskys; and neither worked for me as a guy who wants a single coil J tone.

ymmv; and I'm sure lots of folks will disagree with me :D

31HZ and Ace Of Bass like this.
  13. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I love the Modern tone and a great Jazz, which is why I am either buying outright or laying away a nice Jazz for Christmas.
    The Norm Stockton seems like a viable way to get the soapbar and single coil tones in one package. I really like that in single mode, the bass still has a lot of MTD sizzle. It is good not to see another Jazz clone.

Ace Of Bass likes this.
  14. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member In Memoriam

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I listened to those clips. I don't hear a really true single coil tone in there, but I'm clearly a freak about that; as my trading history will readily show. :D

15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I think it sounds like a single coil, but not very Fenderish.

16. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas

I sometimes got a bad tendency of letting a bass go to fast then I would regret it. About the MTD SN, my First impression was on the neck, it was a little bit wider than the 535, it was ok, but at that time I prefer the feel of the 535 neck, so automatically I wanted to go back to the 535, so pack it and ship it back to the store next day, I never gave it a chance as to the tone goes. As to the Sadowsky, I had 2 metros in the past and there were great but once I got the NYC I noted the difference right away and I felt in love with it, however It had the JJ's pickups, the sound was good but I much prefer the modern sound, and I think the soap bars will just fit right. I saw here that someone has a MTD SN available so It kind got me thinking about them two. I don’t want to do the mistake or getting the wrong bass, this is why I am asking for advice.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2015
    Ace Of Bass likes this.
  17. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I am the last one to be saying this to anyone, but every bass you had was excellent. Unless you have Jeff Berlin or Victor Wooten chops, stop spinning your wheels over basses, keep a nice bass and get in the woodshed. I spent years buying basses while making little progress and probably deteriorating sometimes because I was too caught up in gear.

31HZ, diglo, jim nolte and 11 others like this.
  18. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    So if you like the MTD neck but want a more modern sound than the JJ Sadowsky, why not get a 535...?...or at least narrow it down to that and maybe a Sadowsky Modern 5, since great sound samples of that are all over YouTube...

MixBass likes this.
  19. Ace Of Bass

Jun 27, 2006
    DC
    Excellent advice...

20. otto B

otto B Supporting Member

Dec 17, 2007
    El Paso Texas
    One thing I have noted, the MTD NS it didn't became as popular as
    That is very true, great advice. Thanks

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 19, 2021