1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

MTD Vs. KSD?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by pty-rock, Oct 10, 2006.

1. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
  2. Acepiloto

Acepiloto

Aug 25, 2000
    In my experience, neither are better, but they're both different. The KSD (to me) captures more of a vintage tone, and the MTD more hi-fi. Another great choice in your price range would be Lakland Skylines, 55-01 New, or JO5, DJ5, or 55-02 used (those still might be a bit high though)

3. Lo end PUNCH

Lo end PUNCH

Jan 28, 2005
    Racine,Wi
    Played 'em both but I'm kinda biased because I really dont like j-basses, but that doesn't mean the KSD isn't a great sounding instrument, because it definitely sounds killer. The MTD is lighter in weight and a slight bit more punchy. The KSD is crystal clear and has a great slap sound. And IMHO they are both very modern hi-fi sounding instruments. I DO think the MTD is a lot more sleek and sexier:bag:, but thats all in the eye of the beholder I guess.:)

4. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    Thanx for the quick reply. The thing is that it's not about price. It's about the fact that I have only played a 5er once and it didnt go that well for me. (granted tht was 3 years ago), but I just want a good 5er, not a great one in case it's not my cup of tea!

Thanx for your other suggestions. I was also looking at lakland models, and the 55-02 is a top runner in my mind.

5. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    MTD. Also consider checking out the Z5 if it's in your price reach. I had an heir once and liked it alot.

6. pty-rock

pty-rock

Jul 31, 2006
    Panama
    THanx for the input. Any other basses I should look at before I buy my christmas present to myself?

7. well ive had my KSD v70j 5er for over a year, before i played nothing but 4's and i kinda jumped into the deep end just ordering one, but its an awesome bass...its been my main the whole time, even lately when my collections just boomed with 2 ibbys (atk and tr expressionist) a blade (gone now) and a sgc nanyo bass collection
    Img_9690.jpg
    ive just taken the preamp out and its now completely passive with just a volume control and a blend control...it sounds awesome, a bit phatter and not so top endy

8. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Inactive Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    If you would have just 'lifted' the volume control, it would completly by-pass the active circuit (push/pull, ascive/passive).

Also, for a warmer tone, my personal favorite is the 60s model made with Alder body instread of the 70s Ash. The 70s does get that Marcus sound and for some reason it's the most popular model. Just don't forget that almost all the great Bassists who played Fender played a sunburst Fender including Jaco, Duck Dunn, Freddy Washington, Chuck Rainey and countless others. Freddy who still to this day has his old Fender used it on the new Steely Dan Tour and recording while using mainly the Smith 5 on the Donald Fagan tour and record. This is straight from Freddy as he was given 'carte blanche' to use what ever Bass he felt was right for the job. On the Japan tour with the Jazz Crusaders 2 years ago, he brought only two KSDs, a 60s and 70s 5s. No Smith and no Fender. The man likes what he likes when he likes it I guess..

9. Jake

Jake

Dec 11, 1999
    Florida
    Although I think my P-Bass is sounding pretty good, I am very interested in the KSD 60's 5. Is it availible with a longer (35") scale? I guess it doesn't really matter if the B still sounds good. Also, what is a good retail price on one of these?

10. jasper383

jasper383

Dec 5, 2004
    Durham NC
    The 5 string is 35 inch scale.

11. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    All the KSD 5s are currently 35" scale. I am talking with Brooklyn Gear to make a 34" scale 5 like the regular Smith Basses and with our 9-18mm spacing as well. This would be the exact scale and taper specs of a regular Smith.

Could be a year or two out so don't get too excited yet..

12. Rano Bass

Rano Bass

Sep 9, 2006
    Tijuana Mex.
    One or two years?... nah, it's ok, i can wait ;)

13. ken,
    the reason i took the pre out is because it was buzzing like crazy, it looked properly grounded and was just so crazy noisy, and im recording this weekend so i couldnt have that, and the volume control never actually turned down the volume, it sortof half cut the volume and that was it, and this is the seccond preamp put into this bass, i bought it off the low end and they had to put a new pre into it just before they shipped it off to me, plus when i lifted into passive mode i had a habit of flicking it back into active when i slapped

im thinking about getting a 60's 5 next...love these basses, oh and ken, i know this isnt really the place but can i tell the date/year of manufacture of mine by the serial number?

14. Robear22

Robear22

Sep 28, 2004
    Zion, Ill
    I have a MTD Heir 5 that I traded my KSD 70's for. I kinda regret that I did it now because MTD is not a bad bass but it hits the hi-fi sound with relative ease but lacks a little in growl. The jazz and musicman pickups let you do some nice variety tonally but I think the pre is what is taming the beast. The KSD was one of the nicest jazzes that I ever owned. It could get pretty bright with the highs but it was different from the MTD. It could nail a solid vintage tone but that was not what I was lookong for at the time but now I miss that. Be careful when you trade and get rid of your basses. You may be getting rid of something that you will surely miss.

I think you cannot go wrong with either one. They just feel different and play diffferent.

15. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Hmm.:)

16. zac2944

zac2944

Dec 28, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I owned a KSD70-5 for a while. I liked the tone a lot, but found the bass to be too big and heavy for longer gigs. I just prefered the shorter 34" scale and lighter weight of my Fender 4 string. I have a Smith BSR5 for when I need a 5 string (pretty light and 34" scale), so I stopped using the KSD and sold it. I've never played a KSD60, but from my experience I'd bet they sound pretty nice. Just be aware that the 5 string model can feel like a big bass.

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    GREAT KEN! more choices in 34" scale 5's are definitley needed.

18. KSB - Ken Smith

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Then you had a circuit problem. How old is your KSD? I know there have been changes since they started. Also, before long, we will offer a USA made replacement circuit for the KSDs. I have the prototype in a KSD here. Though BG has had all the problems fixed with the Korean circuits, I want to offer an alternative directly from our shop.

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    Ken thanks for the news! I'm going to wait to purchase any type of 5 string jazz bass until the 34" scale KSD basses are available.

20. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather

I've played both and I would say go for the MTD! The KSD was way too heavy and the neck felt like a bassball bat! Not slim at all!

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 6, 2021