1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Multiple Cabinet Question

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Groovespectrum, Apr 3, 2013.

1. Groovespectrum

Groovespectrum

Apr 3, 2013
    I have a Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II head (700W, 4Ω) and a Gallien-Krueger 410RBH Cabinet (800W, 4Ω). I bought this setup as a replacement for my old combo amp that eventually stopped working. I've since turned the combo amp into what is essentially another speaker cabinet that consists of a 15", 300W speaker at 8Ω. My question is, can I use both of these cabinets at the same time?

2. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    NO

4 ohms in parallel with anything is less than 4 ohms.

If you put the speakers in series with a special cord--OK,
    but not optimum.

3. Yep that is the trouble with 4 ohm cabs, you're done! Can't add another cab.

4. Groovespectrum

Groovespectrum

Apr 3, 2013
    So it's really that black and white then? I just can't do it? What's this about running them in series with a special cord?

5. You could make a series cord but adding a 115 to a 410 won't add much to the sound output with the drop in amp power? If you were adding a second 410 I could see it being a good move.

6. Groovespectrum

Groovespectrum

Apr 3, 2013
    Well that sucks. What's the purpose of 4Ω cabinet if you can never add a second cabinet?

7. That is the point many try to get across to people EVERY day ;)

8. JimmyM

JimmyM

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Exactly. However, some don't want to add a second cab but want the extra wattage. That's the market for 4 ohm medium size cabs.

9. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    2 ohm stable head, there aren't many but they do exist.

10. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Virtually every stereo power amp is capable of handling a 2Ω load per channel. The fact that the bass amp community has failed to keep up is a different story. :) All my cabinets are 4Ω because I never planned to use them with a regular bass amplifier.

11. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    Very true, but the whole pre/power thing is a while new can of worms for the OP.

12. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Well, if your cab produces enough volume on it's own, handles the power of your head, you play with sane musicians and you don't like hauling around stuff you don't need, 4Ω cabs are fine.

Compared to your 4x10, the 15" would provide no noticeable improvement in volume anyway, so use your 15" for practice and just play.

13. Minussss3db

Minussss3db

Mar 2, 2013
    2 ohm stable and pretty good sounding for the usual $200 for the SWR350 or $300 for SWR350X on epay....

(I would get the SWR350x actually a little more reliable, and a little better sounding)

thanks, and good music to you...
    -3db

14. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2007
    Toronto Ontario Canada
    Also very true however it was a whole new can of worms for every one of us who went the pre-power route.

It really is a lot simpler than many folk fear. I get to a gig, place my cabinets where i want them, plug in my cabinets and AC power cable. I plug in my instrument and switch on. That's it!

Seriously, unless you are running a combo, what do you do that is any different???

15. Think about it Paul, half or better of the folks can't grasp input gain and master on an amp head. Now you throw not only input gain and output level into a power amp with attenuators at them? :)

16. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    Yes, unless you use a 2 ohm capable amp or a power amp w/two 4 ohm taps.

17. Yes I let the first time pass. When you have a 4 ohm stable amp and you buy one 4 ohm cab isn't it TOO late to rethink the wheel? You can also buy a second amp head or power amp and slave from you first unit, again rethinking the wheel after the fact at hand.

18. mbelue

mbelue

Dec 11, 2010
    You forgot power amp input sensitivity, damping factor, preamp output, tube rolling, high pass filters/ slope. The list goes on, pre/power is really Pandora's box.