Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Munji's Universal Bass Thread

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    OK, I'm having problems posting new threads at home so, for the time being, I'm going to post all my new topics in this thread and a couple others like it. I ahven't even been able to tell you about my new (used) Jazz bass, which I will here tonight. Moderators, please cut me a little slack in this trying and disturbing time.

2. In your case, that jazz won't exist 'till later tonight now will it?;)

3. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    OK, please allow me to bring this bass into existence. I bought it about a month ago at GC San Marcos, where it had been hanging on the wall for what seems like a year. I finally got in a position to rescue it.

It's a 2001 Amercan Jazz Deluxe V. It had a lot of neck relief and resulting high action, but a couple turns on the truss rod fixed that. I strung it with some new DR High Beams and got a lot of fret buzz. Why? Because 4 of the 5 strings in the set are taperwound (usually its just the B string or B and E), so I had to raise the bridge saddles. Buzz gone, still medium low action, my preference. The new strings were too boingy for me at first, as usual, but they're starting to mellow out just right.

I've been playing it through my WW Ultra, D-210XLT and D-115XL. It has great tone, from a nice, aggressive bark from the bridge pickup to plenty of boomy bottom from the neck pickup. The neck isn't quite as fast as those on my Lakland and Sadowsky basses, but still quite playable.

I don't know what they call the color, but it's cool, and I like the mint green pickguard on this one (I usually prefer tort, but this works). So there you have it. This will have to hold me over another month or so until the Tuxedo Bass shows up from Roger's shop.

4. wow. i am IN LOVE with that color.

5. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida
    damn nice bass! congrats

6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    How about simply "good?" The finish is indeed wonderful - Fender has been pretty underwhelming the past few years with their selection of transparent finishes, and I'm one of the few that prefer the 5 in-line headstocks to the newer 4+1 on Fender 5's.

Congratulations, and enjoy her!

7. looks great, i really dig that color.....

i think just possibly the bridge needs attention though, is that rust or just an illusion?

8. adrian garcia

adrian garcia

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    let's see...
    it says Fender on the headstock, and it's an american deluxe
    it's made of ash and maple
    it has a gorgeous trans finish...
    yep, i would say that should make for a happy Munji..
    congrats , man, i love those basses!

9. JOME77

JOME77 Supporting Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Georgia
    Very nice looking bass! That tint is starting to grow on me. They had one very similar at a store around here. Same color but it had a pau Ferro fingerboard. I started to pull the trigger on that bass several times. It eventually got away when the store closed......:(

10. christle

christle Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2002
    Winnipeg, MB
    Awesome finish! Congrats!

:cool: :bassist:

11. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
    pretty! Someone who didn't know better may have tried that bass in the store with high action and thought US Fender QC was bad or that they're crap or whatever..... Some people know better.

Beautiful finish!

12. Man, I'm not a Fender jazz guy, having saved my nickles and dimes as a kid for one and then getting a real doggie, but I'd be proud to make THAT one sing! NICE!

13. dangnewt

dangnewt Veteran Dispenser

Jun 6, 2003
    MetroWest Boston
    Nice bass. I used to limit my wish to a natural ash finish Jazz; thanks for reminding me of the beauty of transparent finished ash.
    Open mind, open wallet........new bass!

14. Bassmanbob

Bassmanbob Supporting Member

Very nice Mungi. Enjoy the new addition for a long time.

15. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    Hey Munji

You said that you put on DR Highbeams and they were taperwound!?
    Were they Long Necks and not High Beams? as I noticed you've strung through the body, I ask because I have the same bass and wanted to try a set of these and had'nt realised they were all taperwound.

BTW Great bass, I love the colour, enjoy it which I'm sure you will.

16. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    Thanks.

No, it's not an illusion. I need to replace the height adjustment screws on a couple strings.

17. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    What do you guys think of this bass?

[​IMG]

18. Pretty sweet looking, though I think the top would look way nicer on a darker colored body, but I'm sure I could deal with it. What are the specs?

19. Munjibunga

May 6, 2000
    MTD 535, Barts, 3-band EQ, 3-way mid selector, buckeye burl on ash, maple neck.

20. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass

Dec 29, 2005
    Canada
    Nice!