1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muse Bass Tones - my submission

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adamaarts, Apr 15, 2015.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    Been working on this video all week. I've been working on the sounds for MUCH longer. I know Chris has been a staple for awesome bass effects since Muse first came out, I hope to have done him some justice.

If the video generates enough interest I can do another where I go through each song and effect, and how to dial it in. Hint: I only have 3 effects and none of them are a deep impact or animato!

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    I like the fuzz on Psycho (number 9), sounds a bit like my TAFM or possibly the Fuzz Face model on the OFD - what is it? I suspect it may be the Manta after looking at your channel!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2015
    adamaarts likes this.
  3. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Yup. The Manta was the foundation for almost everything in there.

4. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    VERY nice playing and great job of getting "close" to the tones with a Warwick :bassist:
    Are you using an SA PEQ? It's crazy that you go from Undisclosed Desires to Knights of Cydonia without tweaking ONE KNOB!

adamaarts likes this.
  5. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    I do t have the PEQ, I do have an M9 that can handle EQ duty when I need it. All effects are switched via MIDI controller, so one click changes everything. For example from undisclosed desires everything is off, then click over next patch, Fuzz, then next patch fuzz off but OD on a different pedal gets kicked on. It's a pretty neat thing to have MIDI integration, plus for this track it was easy to route MIDI from reaper while I play along and it can switch effects for me.

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  6. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    Well done!

adamaarts likes this.
  7. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Really nice!

8. I like it! I was hoping for Liquid State/New Born, but good to see you already got the new tracks pegged pretty well

9. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Too many good ones that I couldn't fit in. Maybe if I do a round 2.....

Ricky Caboverde and Journey55 like this.
  10. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    1cf.

More for the riff than the tone, but definitely include "Futurism" for Round 2...

adamaarts likes this.
  11. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Thanks for the feedback everyone! I received a lot of response yesterday, my first video to ever hit 1k views in the first day!

I definitely will be doing a follow up video explaining how to get these sounds, or at least how I do. It's going to take some time but it's already in the Planning stages.

kurotenshi, _sky_ and benevan like this.
  12. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Here's the first video on how to get these sounds. This one goes through Time is Running Out. I do plan on doing the rest also.

13. _sky_

_sky_

Jan 8, 2012
    Portugal
    Been trying to get that souund on my Zoom B3 but still no success. I get a more similar tone using fuzz.

adamaarts likes this.
  14. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    I think I'll show Madness next.....

nshuman likes this.
  15. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Great videos, but to be honest it was hard to not drool at that T40 you have hanging behind you!!

You ought to do one for Hypermusic and New Born!

_sky_, adamaarts and DirtyDuke like this.
  16. honotron

honotron

Oct 1, 2008
    I've been working on muse bass tones in the band room for a tribute act i've formed.

I'm lucky enough to have sourced myself an animato and deep impact but love the idea of finding ways to get these tones without using what many see to be
    the essential 2 pedals for that wolstenholme sound.

I actually think your time is running out tone is closer than i get on a deep impact, i tried every setting i could think of
    (including kaputsports setting too, but that was way off as is the case with most of his tones)

Yours though is probably the closest i've ever heard, certainly closer to the cd than the mammoth Chris uses live.
    I'll probably buy an M5 off the back of your video! Please make more instructional videos as your work interests me greatly

Heres my current uprising tone, which is the deep impact impact, into subterrenea into animato

and also a cheap way of getting madness, behringer slow gear clone into big muff into q tron

17. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    I had just seen (saw?) that Uorising video the other day, that's dead in dude! Makes me wish I had spent some more time on mine.

Thanks for the nice words! I'd love to eventually get my hands in the Animato and DI, but at the moment there's so much more I need in that price range that it'll never happen for the foreseeable future.

Great work!

honotron likes this.
  18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    I've had a JohnK Animato clone that was modded with a blend knob for a little over a month now, and I'm still a little jury-is-out on whether it was worth the high price for me. Certainly no slam on the job that John did with it...it's a beautifully made pedal and it definitely sounds like an Animato. It's a pedal like no other I've ever used, but I'm not sure if it's right for me. I only like it in conjunction with other overdrives, as it sounds kind of thin to me otherwise. It's also very easy to go completely out of control with it. The good thing about it, though, is if you have a fuzz that loses its fuzziness in a mix, kick this thing on with it and it will rip through even the densest mix. But I don't know if I need that as much as I thought I did. And it will get mild if you want, and it does add a sort of 60's British Invasion type character to the sound on those settings, but I'm not sure it brings enough to the table on milder settings to warrant it.

I think what I need to do is now that I've had some experience with it onstage, I need to go back to it and experiment with it at home a little more. When I kick it on, the first thing I think of every single time is Muse. Not that I'm looking to cop his sounds, but I do love the sounds he gets with it. But I still don't think I've found what I'm personally looking for out of it. We'll see.

19. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Next up, Madness:

AlexanderB and _sky_ like this.
  20. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Really nice work. Very cool to see someone getting so close to the recorded tones with a completely different setup. Especially when midi control lets you change tones so quickly.

adamaarts likes this.