1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Muse: The 2nd Law due out September

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by kaputsport, Jun 28, 2012.

1. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    Well, that time is here again... September release for Muse again.

This time we have two things going on. First is the Album trailer...

Thoughts?

2. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    My thought on hearing the new song on the radio this morning was something along the lines of: "??????????". Followed swiftly by: "I remember when Muse were good".

3. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    "Survival" is an incredibly mediocre rip off of Queen/Electric Light Orchestra, but at least it's not "Neutron Star Collision".

Showbiz and Origin of Symmetry are both amazing records but I've been disappointed by their recent material. The live version of "New Born" and the songs "Citizen Erased", "Hypermusic", and "Muscle Museum" are all phenomenal.

4. Wow. Survival is a) pretty much a queen rip off b) laughably overblown c) a thin song if you can ignore the bombast. Maybe the record will have better stuff.

5. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    After reading this thread last night I had to pick my bass up and play Hysteria, just to reset my Museometer.

6. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I first listened to Muse during the OOS-era, picked up Showbiz and thouroughly enjoyed Absolution. Black Holes... had it's moments (though very few) while The Resistance never existed for my part. That's probably it for me.

7. Essen

Essen Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Norway
    I cannot begin to express the level of dissapointment (and anger) I'm feeling.
    I thought The Resistance was bad, but I though maybe they'd understand what they did wrong..
    Muse was the first band I really started listening to, and I was a die-hard fan for years. They have made so much great music in the past.

8. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I'd heard the occasional Muse song, finally bought an album after the singles from Black Holes and Revelations got a lot of airplay, and generally enjoy that album. It opened my ears though and I went back through their previous recordings to find the real gold. The Resistance just didn't move me at all. There's always been that melodramatic pseudo-opera element lurking but I think they were a much better band when keeping that under control.

9. This 1000 times. Muse were also my first real, eye-opening music experience, they got me into music in the first place. Now, seeing where they've taken themselves, it's really a shame, knowing the caliber of music they used to put out. I doubt we'll ever see days like those from these guys again. Their sell-out status is officially confirmed in my eyes, particularly so if the new album proves to be as lackluster and pompous as this song denotes. At least we'll always have OOS, right? :bawl:

10. sloppy_phil

sloppy_phil

Aug 21, 2011
    Toronto, ON, Canada
    Not actually named Phil
    the thought of Muse doing dubstep is highly displeasing. Survive sounds pretty much like 90% of their music starting at Black Holes. I never really knew where to get into these guys, so only have their 3 most recent albums. Apparently I should be getting my hands on Origin, it's the only album of theirs that I haven't heard people bash yet

11. stambroker

stambroker

Aug 12, 2011
    NoVA
    Origin of Symmetry is a phenomenal album. "Bliss", "Citizen Erased", "Hypermusic", "Plug In Baby", and "Feeling Good" are all great songs (with great bass/instrumentation). I like Showbiz quite a bit too, but some people don't get into it.

Try this out:

12. SoVeryTired

Jul 2, 2011
    Milton Keynes, UK
    Don't forget 'Newborn'. That's one of the handful of lines I knew when I was trying out basses as a beginner!

13. SeaBassSteve

SeaBassSteve

Nov 14, 2008
    UK
    Matt Bellamy is the modern day guitar legend defining new ways in which the way guitar is played.... There is one in every generation, if you want to go back you can include things like Van Halen and tapping.
    I love muse, agree the olympic song is weak, but the album teaser is good.

14. kaputsport

kaputsport

Nov 14, 2007
    Carlisle, PA
    Atypical, not a typical...
    For me, Absolution is the pinnacle of Muse. It took all the fire and pop of their first few albums, and showed a level of maturity while still being aggressive.

OoS was great as well, but Absolution with all the B-Sides is incredible. Fury, The Groove and Eternally Missed are songs that should have been on the album.

15. Absolution, and it's corresponding tour, is the best work Muse have done so far, in my opinion. I also love everything else, except for Unsustainable. I just can't get into it...it's just..there...meh. :meh:

By the way, it's now due out in October, on the 1st.

16. TomA1234

TomA1234

Jul 27, 2009
    Fareham, England
    I just hope that Survival is not an indicator of what the album is going to be like. It is safe to say that I will first listen to all of The 2nd law on YouTube before I buy it.

17. Maybe if he concentrated on guitar, and forgot about piano and singing...

18. :eyebrow:

He's a fantastic singer (most of the time), and is also an incredible piano player.

Muse - Piano Thing

19. Flump

Flump

Feb 20, 2012
    Looks like it hasn't been discussed yet, but this is the official video and full version of Unsustainable off the album.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EF_xdvn52As

There are actually portions of that song I really like, but this combined with survival has me pretty disappointed so far.

BTW, the guys who are talking about the resistance being a total POS... Unnatural Selection and MK Ultra are awesome songs. I personally like the 3 part "symphony", but as with most really prefer the OOS and Absolution era much more.

I still have hope.

Edit: After listening to this a few times I could see them using this live as a cool little intro/outro to a song like they do with Stockholm Syndrome and a few others.

20. Methinks I'm one of the only people that really really liked The Resistance. Ah well, different strokes for different folks. I love every Muse album, and I'd much rather have them change over the years then stay the same band from beginning to end. To me it shows diversity. Granted I'm wary of the dubstep, but I feel like they like playing their instruments way too much to do an entire (or mostly) electronic record.

gcTkU.