1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Music Man Amps User-Thread

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by disssa, Apr 9, 2015.

1. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    I am a little surprised, that there are still no Music Man amp user-thread here on talkbass. Here and there a few questions regarding the different Music Man amps, not more...

Ok, I'll try to start a Music Man user-thread.

My Music Man Amps:

Music Man HD-150:
    [​IMG]

Music Man HD-65
    [​IMG]

Music Man 100B
    [​IMG]

Music Man BH-500
    [​IMG]

unbridled and Tbone76 like this.
  2. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    I played an HD150 for awhile, and really enjoyed the solid tone I got from it, especially after I put new, SED Winged C tubes in it. They really improved the low mid punch. I finally got tired of lugging it around, and went to lighter bass heads. But, for a hybrid type bass head, I thought it sounded more " tubey " than some other all tube heads.

AstroSonic likes this.
  3. ezstep

ezstep

Nov 25, 2004
    north Louisiana
    An HD150 was my go-to amp for about 18 years. Had it on top of a LabSeries 1x15 (Gibson) or a Peavey 2x15 w/BW's. A guy in Chicago wanted it worse than I did and I let her go. I wish I had her back.

4. Marko Vasiljev

Marko Vasiljev

Apr 8, 2015
    I recently bough hd 150 for just 300 euros, and I'm still playing around with it. So far, without a doubt, the best amp head I ever tried. Before that I mostly used solid state heads, and a guitar player recommended music man which he saw in adds when he heard that I'm looking for a new head. Just amazing clarity. One question-how to link pedals with it (considering that you can make a bridge with channel 1 and 2)? And do I need to get a microphone for bigger venues? Since it does not have a line out like solid state heads I used before... oh, yes, one guy told me to link my tech 21 pedal to the bass section of the amp just like fx send and fx return, and to plug in bass in channel 1. Any advice?

5. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I'd just like to see and hear one IRL...not on YouTube. I haven't really checked yet, but does anyone stock these in the San Francisco area? Gelb Music maybe?

6. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    You must be talking about the " new " models ? The older ones were discontinued many years ago, although there is a dedicated internet forum for the old models.

7. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Music Man stopped the production of the amps in 1984...

8. Buzz E

Buzz E Supporting Member

Sep 25, 2014
    San Francisco, CA
    I meant the new ones. Sorry about that. I found out that MarkBass has a hand in the production and they are only available overseas so far.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  9. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Can't find any information, what kind of speaker were used in the Music Man 412B cabs? Can anyone help?

10. jnewmark

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Did you look here: Intro Page

11. JTE

JTE Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2008
    Central Illinois, USA
    Minor nomenclature crrection to OP. The second amp isn't an "HD-65". It's simply a "65". The HD were the 130 watt ones.

Wish I'd kept my HD-130 I bought in December 1977...

12. The new BH500 is in Australia, and it had a glowing review in Australian Guitar magazine. With Markbass helping out with construction, it seems they did a really good job. I haven't had the chance to play with one as of yet, as they still aren't easily found.

13. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    No more Music Man Amp user?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. Fuzzonaut

Fuzzonaut

Aug 27, 2013
    Switzerland
    Here!!! I've got a HD 130 and I love it.
    Takes pedals like a champ.
    setup.

15. Ffreddy

Ffreddy

Feb 14, 2011
    Im really dying to get my hands back on an hd130 or 150. Should never have sold mine.

16. disssa

disssa

May 6, 2009
    Nice and underrated amps...

17. Brad T. Bass

Brad T. Bass Supporting Member

Oct 27, 2009
    Been using HD-130’s, off & on for 30 +years and all but exclusively now, for the last 5 years or so (they take a licking and keep on kicking!). I have the parallel & series speaker output versions, & use, depending on the size of venue / 4 or 8 ohm cabs / single or double cab configurations (etc.). I’ve tried several other brands of amps over the years (not gonna name drop) & ALL EXCEPT my MM’s (and Acoustic 370) have, at one time or another, let me down. Credit where it is due, I should add that the 370 has been a workhorse too (it’s just that recently, it has developed a subtle intermittent volume issue, albeit, never left me completely silent). When I get some time, I don’t anticipate it will be too involved of a fix.

I know some may argue that I need to come out of the 70’s, but I can only conclude that with the overall reliability of my vintage gear, that too many companies, these days, are more concerned with a quick buck and putting out a product that lasts just slightly longer than the Warranty period, than with building reliable gear. The classic Musicman Amps are reliable, and I WILL post IF & When one ever lets me down. (Added Perk ... They DO sound GREAT! ).

18. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    COOL. I never knew they ever made amps. If their basses are any indication I bet the kicked some serious booty.

19. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Don't forget about deez!

MM_HD500_front_00.

IMG_2107.

Saetia likes this.
  20. andertone

andertone Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2000
    Southwest USA
    Still have my HD130 with the 12ax7 tube, going strong. Hard to get LM307H op amps for the preamp circuit, but at least EH makes a decent 6CA7
    so lots of life still. Use it with an EV B215M cabinet for the vintage look when the situation requires