1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Music Man Caprice: True Boutique Quality

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Aug 16, 2016.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

My favorite store just got a Music Man Caprice in today. I was pretty skeptical because the P/J has been done more times than anyone can count. The Caprice is not ground breaking, but it is incredibly well executed. The fit and finish is absolutely boutique in quality. The finish of the neck reminds me of a Lull Jazz I played at Bass Central about eight years ago. The fretwork is flawless. The neck size reminds me of a Sterling. I am guessing the weight is 8 lbs. The only issue I noticed was a buzz on the open A that I am sure can be easily fixed.

The large pole piece pickups are incredibly loud and clear. I am pretty sure there is a dummy single coil out of sight on the Caprice because it is dead silent. The pots are all first rate and very responsive.

This bass is a great player. It would be a great bass for someone who only wants one bass. I absolutely loved playing it. I have to be careful because I love playing around on fours, but I really prefer fives when gigging. That said, this a bass worth saving up for. A young guy could probably be gigging this bass thirty years later without missing a beat.

The Caprice can hang with Sadowsky, A-C, you name it. This is a $1,700 bass that feels like a $3,500 boutique.
    Needless to say, it crushes any Fender P/J I have ever heard or played. The same goes for class Yamaha P/Js too.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2016
  2. IronLung1986

IronLung1986

May 19, 2010
    Exeter, NH
    Yea, I'm not surprised it's a great bass. Anyone who's heard Sterling talk knows how much pride he takes in being part of the Leo Fender heritage. He has more of a right to produce a Fender style bass than most in my view.

Bassist Jay, Ampslut, howlin and 20 others like this.
  3. Lesgo

Lesgo Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2016
    I stumbled upon one while wasting time at GC over the weekend. I grabbed it and plugged it in not even knowing what it was, and I was stunned. It is an amazing bass. I don't know that I'll ever be in the market for something that high-end, but I have been daydreaming about it ever since.

4. EBMM is *the* best mainstream manufacturer out there, hands down, and their products easily run with boutiques at twice the price. It isn't surprising to hear that the Caprice is yet another gem from this fine company. :)

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The Caprice is even a step up from a lot of other Music Man basses I have played because it is competitive with a bass like Sadowsky in terms of weight. My guess is that the Caprice I played is 7.9-8.5 lbs. It would be very comfortable for a four hour gig. The Caprice I played was very close to perfect.

To be clear, I am not GAS-ing for this bass. I like it, and it would be cool to have one, but I mainly play fives, so it would not be a primary player for me, but it is so well put together, it would be hard for any bassist not to like it.

6. That one was competitive in weight.

Some will be boat anchors. Just like with every other model they make. Some light, some heavy.

MobileHolmes and tbz like this.
  7. The Caprice looks nice though.

8. I'm gassing. No question.

petch and Lesgo like this.
  9. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Oh well, being consistently light would probably make it a $2,100 bass instead of a $1,700 bass because EBMM would have to be much more picky about wood.

Daniel Piper likes this.
  10. Stevorebob

Stevorebob Well... I Am Here, Aren't I? Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2011
    Los Angeles
    I'll buy one when they offer a 5-string version.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2016
    Joeynone, And I, T-Funk and 11 others like this.
  11. Agreed.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    As it stands, I may even order a four string next year. A five would be a no-brainer.

13. zortation

zortation

Dec 26, 2011
    Toronto, ON
    Small body is small.

Toso2121 and Dr. Cheese like this.
  14. mmbongo

mmbongo Chicken Pot Pie. My three favorite things!! Supporting Member

WITH normal 19mm spacing.

Ampslut, superflybass, And I and 7 others like this.
  15. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    :D You know Sterling Ball will make it 17.5mm just because he can.

16. davegt666

davegt666

Jun 30, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    My Guitar Center got one in Sunburst.

It's a great player! Pretty light. Sounds good too. Would make a great stage bass.

Nomogram, NoNoise and Dr. Cheese like this.
  17. I love a PJ. I seem to be gravitating more to passive basses these days. I have a Sadowsky Metro Hybrid PJ that I love, but I can't help but think this is more in line with where the tone in my head is going.

Westsailor, Rickter and Dr. Cheese like this.
  18. GnomishViking

GnomishViking

Dec 16, 2015
    As soon as I saw one of these online I fell in love with the design.

Nomogram, Jay Mastro and 1954bassman like this.
  19. Bass'd on a true story

Bass'd on a true story

Jun 28, 2015
    I've been saving up for that bass for a month now. I personally like the Cutlass even more. These basses are truly a cut and a half above the competition at that price point. I had to triple check that they don't have an active pre in them.

Nomogram and Dr. Cheese like this.
  20. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I was not sold when I first saw it, but once I played it I was blown away!