1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Musical Immaturity - Is it that common?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Killed_by_Death, Aug 11, 2020.

1. yes

2. no

3. depends on your location or situation

4. I don't carrot all about that!

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Seems to happen a lot online, 'they suck' is a common response from 14-yo boys, but from 40-yo men?

Some of my 'friends', who also play Music, have the same limited maturity:
    mention Janet Jackson - Ah, she's a no-talent hack
    posting memes about how Smash Mouth concert-goers should die

It's just sad!

Is it really that common, even among Musicians?

I'll admit, I'm not the most Musically mature, but I don't go around putting others down because of their choice in Music, and especially not posting memes about Artist X sucks so badly.

joker820, Ellery, 59jazz and 19 others like this.
  2. And I

And I Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2009
    Witchtown, MA
    not just with music. people in general these days have nothing but vitriol for anyone outside of their "tribe".

3. two fingers

two fingers Opinionated blowhard. But not mad about it. Gold Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2005
    Eastern NC USA
    While this IS true....

I find it ironic that the very kinds of people (musicians) who claim to be open-minded are anything but.

Yes, @Killed_by_Death , it is all too common. And, yes, it's sad.

4. Come to think of it, the irony is quite high when a person is putting down band X, but on another day they're moaning that no one watches their YT clips of their playing. (or comes to see their band perform)

Charlzm, Relayer71, Ellery and 9 others like this.
  5. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

IME: it's more common here, on TB, than i experience anywhere else in my universe. ;)

the membership is free here --- and you don't have to be "musically mature" to own a bass! :laugh:

6. The majority of YouTube Comment Sections and Facebook replies seem to be the cesspool of humanity. The topic does not matter.

7. Jefenator

Jefenator

Aug 22, 2008
    Oregon
    I used to “hate” certain bands and celebrities.
    I have probably mellowed and matured since then.
    I also don’t listen to much broadcast radio, anymore. (Even my favorite stations used to play some stuff I didn’t like so much and sometimes irritation would lead to hostility.)

AudioTaper, The Owl and juancaminos like this.
  8. I 'get it' when it comes to the hoi-polloi, but it's even more sad when it's someone you know & thought respected Musicians.
    One guy even started his own Music group & called himself the Music Man. It was hilarious, except he was serious!

I had to escape when he started posting his daily commute to work dash-cam footage with whatever Midlands band happened to be in his playlist.
    The dash-cam microphone audio was horrible!

9. Michedelic

Michedelic MId-Century Modern

I thought only Primus sucked.

10. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I think there are just a lot of close-minded music fans. Usually they are in the metal, punk, or alternative/indie genres. They refuse to listen to anyone who won't conform to their preferred style.

11. I am a metal head. I used to hide the fact from my metal head friends, that I liked all kinds of other music. When I mentioned I loved old 1910’s -20s Jazz, they really went berserk. I was told under no circumstances ever mention that to the press.
    It’s much worse since the advent of social media. People used to be able to print their home addresses in music magazines not that long ago. Nobody insulted them, much less, threatened them. Like-minded fans shared music and fan club info that way.
    It is part of a larger decline in social attitudes, and lack of integrity.
    I try to remain an old fashioned, polite, honest, decent southerner.

12. SunByrne

SunByrne opinionated intellectual Supporting Member

Aug 29, 2019
    Pearland, TX
    That's not been my experience. Personally, I see this more from the singleminded country fans than any other genre; it's like nothing else even exists. Remember the old nugget from The Blues Brothers:

"What kind of music do you usually have here?"
    "Oh, we got both kinds... we got country AND western."

And we certainly all know some classical/jazz snobs.

Most of the people I know who are into punk/indy/alternative have pretty varied taste.

13. I'm recalling when I first got home from abroad & was catching up with family.
    A couple of us were close about Music, because we were in the same school, we went to all the same concerts back then.

Well, there I am mentioning that Skinny Puppy opened for the Ramones at the Hollywood Palladium, "They suck!", was the 14-yo response for this adult who is only a couple of years younger than myself.

Later-on I found out this person is now a fan of Steve Miller & Willie Nelson, & is the same person who told me that Steven (Tyler) Tallarico is The Talent in Aerosmith!
    I guess my point about Steve Miller & Willie Nelson is that this person expected me to welcome this change in them, but Skinny Puppy was out of bounds.
    I never did tell them I danced in Goth clubs almost every weekend in Los Angeles. Our mutual friend went to L.A. as a teenger & came back hating that town, LOL!

I use that line now, I'm into both genres of Music:
    Black Sabbath
    Motörhead

14. gln1955

gln1955 Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2014
    Ohio, USA
    Yes, it's very common, but it doesn't bother me that people put themselves in a small musical box. Let them rant. They're only limiting them selves and not stopping me or anyone else from listening to or playing anything we want.

15. Chaputa

Chaputa Bass-Not just fo eatin anymore Supporting Member

Mar 28, 2003
    Between DC & Balimore
    That's why its art. Like what you like...except Justin Bieber...he's a no talent a$$-clown :)

16. ElectroVibe

ElectroVibe

Mar 2, 2013
    I also find the same attitude in b
    I would have to say that is a false impression. Most country fans I know are into other genres. (And I'm not talking the narrow minded WillieNelson DwightYoakam crowd.) And I think that crossover/melting quality is pretty evident in today's contemporary country. I never thought I would hear country music that reminds me of hip hop, for example. Until recent years.

But I very much agree with you on the classical and jazz snobs. I'm not too sure about classical ones, unless that's just the only music they tolerate. But the jazz snobs would be the ones who are still raving about Miles Davis and John Coltrane 60's recordings, while ignoring everything from the contemporary period.

The Owl and zie like this.
  17. KBD, what you're describing isn't just common; it seems like it's a rule.

I listen to a pretty vast cross section of stuff but I'm the only one in my band that does.

Durham52 and zie like this.
  18. Let’s be honest, most people think whatever music they like is the best. Why else would
    I like it. No one wants to think they have ‘bad’ taste. Same thing applies to music.
    Styles and trends come and go, as a result, most people in any style or scene are posers.
    They are usually the people who are most close minded. The don’t want to be exposed
    as posers, so they are the most obstinate. Most of the people I grew up with got into
    punk. Almost all of them liked KISS and/or disco before that. If you reminded them of
    this, they got mad, and acted like petulant children, like punks. Those same people now
    don’t listen to punk, and if you remind them of it, they get disgruntled.

“All those day-glo freaks who used to paint their face, they’ve joined the human race
    Some things will never change”

MattZilla, HolmeBass and The Owl like this.
  19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

All too common IMO. And not just restricted to music topics unfortunately.

There’s been a widespread abandonment of civility it seems. The problem is especially acute in the USA where rudeness is becoming the norm in many places.

20. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    A lot of people used to say Frankie Goes to Hollywood were a flash in the pan.
    OK, but a big'ole flash in a big'ole pan!

There's a whole lit of music out there. It's subjective. Listen whatever brings you joy.

And Skinny Puppy? Back when I was a l'il baby and there were some producers doing dub mixes of some of their jingles, that drew a lot of really "clean" kids to the club. And ripping sausage links outta that mannequin, nobody was doing that back then. Some of the kids from school had a really hard evening, I had a blast!

Lot's of people were pretty spooked by Elvis. Just dig in and listen to as much as you can, whatever you can find.

zie likes this.