Musicians Friend mixup - fun for all

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by Gustopher, Dec 30, 2020.

1. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    Recently saw that MF had their house brand hard shell cases on sale for $79 so I ordered one for myself for a late Christmas gift. When the UPS showed up yesterday and rang the doorbell, I nearly passed out because they usually just put it on the porch and disappear like phantoms. He says “hey man, this says fragile and it’s kinda jingling”. It was a much smaller box than my case would have been and I saw that it was from MF so confusion instantly set in. I opened it up and found a Xylophone. Well, actually it’s a Metallophone - Diatonic Soprano to be exact. It was beautifully made and sounded so cool. I almost decided to keep it for the fun, but since it was worth a lot more than my case and I was worried that someone in a orchestral band somewhere wanted this... I called MF to see how to return it. They told me I could take it back to a Guitar Center to avoid the shipping. When I showed up the guy said I was the 5th guy that day to return something wrong from MF but the others were simple mistakes like the wrong color... he was intrigued on how they could have mixed up this for a bass case, lol. He offered to give me one of their Roadrunner cases, but it wasn’t the ABS kind that I had ordered it was a cheaper wooden one, so I took my refund and tried out a few basses and amps and smiled at the whole thing.

2. lfmn16

lfmn16 Inactive Suspended

Sep 21, 2011
    charles town, wv
    Why would you pay shipping to return something they sent you in error? And why would you drive to Guitar Center to return something they sent you by mistake. I would have asked to talk to a manager. They should have sent you a return label and arranged for a UPS pickup.

3. Gustopher

Gustopher Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2018
    SWVA
    I wouldn’t have had to pay for anything, I just wanted my refund or my case quicker than it would have taken if I had sent it all back. Plus I didn’t mind, they handled everything just fine (except for sending me the wrong thing)

Gearhead17, Mr_Moo, timplog and 2 others like this.
  4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    Easy enough mix up from MF - I suspect people stocking the order are looking at numbers rather than descriptions and for what ever odd reason the bass case item number and the Xylophone thing have similar numbers. You'd think someone would have caught it before it got out the door, but 'tis the season.

Good for you for not getting worked up about it and I would welcome the opportunity to be able to walk something back into a GC rather then deal with shipping it back. Yeah, it's a few more miles for me, but not sweating the return ship would be worth the drive for me.

Mr_Moo, JRA, Gustopher and 1 other person like this.
  5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 25, 2022