1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Musicman Sterling Dummy coil wiring

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Thedaivisch, Mar 22, 2013.

1. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    Any wiring experts on the forum - I've rewired my Musicman Sterling HS and replaced the H pickup and the preamp and discarded the overly complicated wiring from the original preamp (which seemed to have the switch wired into the preamp at various points near what looked like resistors).

The S pickup is the original and has 1 live coil, 1 dummy coil beneath it (stacked dummy coil) and 3 wires - live coil hot and ground and another wire for the dummy coil. How do I go about reintroducing the dummy coil into my switching to cancel hum?

I believe the dummy coil is wired in series with other coils on the original MM circuit when cancelling hum.

Dave

2. droskobass

droskobass

Oct 8, 2007
    Montreal, Canada
    Former Part-Time, Non-Commission Employee MOOG Audio
    There is probably a schematic on the Ernie ball forum... If not join and post there. Freely free to post pics here. I have two starlings ( June 93 and feb 98). I could check yours vers mine.... Btw the dummy coil recently fell off the bottom of my pickup after coming unglued, the same thing happened to my friends 94... I'll star a thread and post the repair...

3. Thedaivisch

Thedaivisch

Sep 3, 2009
    8518857260_37cecb83b2_b.

There is a schematic, but it's completely indecipherable! I can't just copy the old one as my switching and preamp are very different.