1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mutilated Rick on Evil Bay

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 21, 2008.

1. RED5

RED5

Jan 14, 2008
    Suffolk County,NY
    Odd thing is? The fingerboard looks fine, how'd that escape?

2. BioDriver

BioDriver A Cinderella story

Aug 29, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Whywouldyoudothat.

3. Edward Scissorhands old bass maybe?

poor attempt at humor... sorry

4. tinder

tinder

Apr 29, 2008
    Dundee, Scotland
    Those aren't cuts. That bass has been rammed head first into something and then the owner has grabbed it by the neck and smashed both edges of the body against something....like you would with a wood axe....sometimes when i get hum i feel like doing that with my Monty:)

5. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    If they're not cuts, then the guy smashed it into a running circular saw or something similar. Anything less than a very sharp object would not leave such sharp, angled cuts. And the headstock's damage is way too linear to be much else.

6. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I think we need to bring in the TB forensics team. to analyze the evidence and determine if a crime was committed. :eyebrow:

7. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    Someone should throw that seller an offer...I'm not a lefty though. :ninja:

8. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    You know, tragic as it is, it would be a fun bass for a talented individual to sand down and restore, right? Of course the shape would be different, but like the seller said, nothing is going to [really] affect the playability of it - the vital aspects are still in tact.

9. Sufenta

Sufenta Trudging The Happy Road of Destiny

Mar 14, 2002
    The Signpost Up Ahead.
    No, I am not a forensic scientist, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn last night.

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Bondo can fix holes in cars... why not on basses?

Slap that RIC full of cheeze and off you go!:bassist::D Good as new!

P.S. Anyone that pay $600 for that thing is nuts IMO. $300 or maybe a bit more I can see, but $600 is too high.

11. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

Yeah, THAT would be easy to do.:rolleyes::D

I can imagine me trying to do a rebuild like that. That crappy RIC would be flying out a window within 5 minutes.:D

The thread is amazing but an unrealistic possibility IMO for anyone expect a luthier or someone with lots of woodworking competency (and patience!).

12. ZH_Driver

ZH_Driver

Feb 22, 2007
    Sydney
    I think it must of been done by an "emo"

It'd probably be good for doing session work... but you'd put it back in it's case as soon as possible once your done!

13. Skygoneblue

Skygoneblue

Nov 13, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Wow yea, I say we all pitch in a few bucks and get this thing over to Kahuna so he can fix it for us! :D

14. That is just unbelievable.
    Someone has had some serious drugs to do that.

If I was offered that on the street for £50 I'd turn it down flat.
    It's impossible to look at and I don't need the parts..

15. saxofunk

saxofunk

Jul 25, 2006
    Tulsa, OK
  16. Flizzy21

Flizzy21

May 13, 2007
    it may have been immoral...

but i think it looks baddass :bag::bag:

definitely the king of a punk rock arsenal imo

not saying it was worth doing or that i would ever do it to a bass

17. Alienation

Alienation

Jul 29, 2008
    Midsouth
    Well, I see someone has taken the plunge on a bid (low feedback tho'). :eyebrow:

Amazing....just amazing. :rolleyes:

This one will be fun to watch. ;)

18. Lefty Geek

Lefty Geek

Feb 13, 2006
    NYC
    As I said before, this bass will go for $$$. Lefty Ricks are hard to find. Rickenbacker has stopped taking orders on lefties. A new lefty 4003 sold for $3K last month.

This bass was not cut purposefully. It was obviously slammed into something. Looks like someone attempted to be Pete Townsend. It is were just missing pieces of wood, I would probably bid around $1K, but this guitar was not just cut. The structural integrity is probably compromised from the blow it took.

19. Curtybob

Curtybob

Jun 2, 2007
    Jackson, MO

Pete Townsend maneuvers dent or demolish. Not knock chunks out across grain.