1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Mxr M87 Bass compressor makes no sound

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by flacoclef, Oct 2, 2013.

1. flacoclef

flacoclef Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    I connected my bass to a Sadowsky Outboard preamp then to the Mxr M87 and it stopped working. It made a noise like a dead battery, although it was connected to a 1spot, then no more sound came from it. All the lights turn on. And no sound.

2. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Have you tried powering it with a battery instead, or a different power supply?

3. When you hook up the M87 to power, the M87's meters should peak and then come down. Hit the footswitch and see if the blue led lights up. If not, your adapter may not be working or it isn't connecting properly (I've had that issue using a boss adapter).
    Re-reading your question and maybe it's your cables. Try going from preamp to your amp and ensure it's fine, remove the connection to your preamp and put it into your compressor. If no signal, it is your compressor giving you some grief. As bongo said, try a battery. If you have a signal, it may be your cable going from the preamp to your compressor.

4. flacoclef

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    Thanks guys. I connected it directly to the compressor and nothing. Also, when it turns on, all the lights go ip as usual. I stomp on it and the blue light goes on but mo sound. I play on bypass and it sounds perfectly.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Five Time World Champion Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    Sounds like cabling. Try it by itself, no other pedals in the chain.

6. flacoclef

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    Okay. Bass to pedal, pedal to amp. On bypass it sounds normally, could it be cabling?

7. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Did you try a different power supply yet?

It could be the cables somehow, but that seems unlikely.

8. flacoclef

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    I'll check with a battery today.

9. flacoclef

Sep 10, 2000
    Texas
    Same thing with the battery. It's going back!

10. avvie

avvie

Oct 12, 2010
    Maui, HI
    If it works fine when turned off its not the cables. Sometimes defects happen. Trade it in for another.

11. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    After a couple years of very light use at home, mine has died with the same issue as described above. Bypass is ok, lights come on with or without batteries but no sound. Completely dead (in terms of sound) when engaged. This is probably the first electronic device failure I have seen in decades.

12. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
    Mine just did the same thing last week--I am bummed, to say the least. Pretty expensive pedal to have go out like that. Also, very light use.

13. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Mine is a battery eater, but has alway's worked wonderfully

14. Doner Designs

Doner Designs Steve Doner Gold Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2012
    Metro Chicago Area
    Doner Designs is an alias for Steve Doner
    Contact MXR. They may repair it for free depending on age and condition, even if it's technically out of warranty.

PBrown likes this.
  15. PBrown

PBrown Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2009
    Billings, MT
    Thanks! I'm hoping they will. I emailed them and included this thread. I'll post if I hear anything.
    P

16. JODowd

JODowd

Feb 28, 2017
    Corvallis, MT
    Hey, same thing happened to mine 6 months past warranty! Lightly used. Looks brand new. Dead as a door-nail. Did you ever try to contact Dunlop? Did they make it right? Just wondering before I waste any more time.

Thanks.

17. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

I've seen a number of similar reports, and all prove that the Ovni Labs caveat about the M87 is valid:
    MXR M87 Bass Compressor and M76 Studio

As also noted the M87 has its good points, and there are many satisfied users.

18. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I had what sounds like the same problem. I was able to get a signal and use all of the knobs except the output. It happened suddenly and did make a noise then just had no output. I called MXR and they had me send it for repair. They ended up replacing the gutts of the pedal and sending it back. I was pleased to see they stand behind their products!

19. acleex38

acleex38

Jul 28, 2006
    I also had that problem and they also fixed it for me after I was out of warranty - it was also "replace the guts" repair for me.

Fantastic pedal, but I stopped trusting it.

20. franvarin

franvarin

May 30, 2013
    Rhode Island
    I still use mine, great pedal. But, I can understand why you would be apprehensive about it. They're too expensive to keep a spare just laying around in case you happen to need it.

I've considered it ot be a freak thing but, if it happens again I'll likely be in the market for something comparable to replace it.